Thread: Web Browser in VB

Question Web Browser in VB

Hello!

I was wondering if it is possible to make a web browser in VB(VS 2012) withot using the WebBrowser controll. If it is, can anyone point me to an existing thread about this topic or something similar. Would making a custom web browser also mean writing your own HTML reader?

Thanks for your time and excuse my english,

CrazyVB

Re: Web Browser in VB

The codebank for this very forum contains a detailed exploration of this topic by jcmcilhenny and other examples of using the webbrowser control. Start there.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyVB View Post
    I was wondering if it is possible to make a web browser in VB(VS 2012) withot using the WebBrowser controll.
    Do you realize how much work is involved in creating a web browser control?
    Mozzilla, Google, MS, etc, etc, have teams of smart developers working on web browsers for years and they still aren't perfect at rendering to HTML standards or being secure.

I've only seen one attempt here on VBForums at rendering HTML and it was a ton of code written in API and still had a long way to go before even getting close to a "browser control". I'd imagine if you used managed VB code to pull such a feat off it be so slow nobody would want to use it, IMO this just isn't something normal programmers do or would use VB for.

BTW, I think dunfiddlin must be "sleep-posting" again, totally missed the point of the OP?

BTW, I think dunfiddlin must be "sleep-posting" again, totally missed the point of the OP?
    Guilty as charged! Still suffering the aftermath of the three hours sleep I got Friday morning before the local lumberjacks started the chainsaws at 8.00am!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!