Thread: User Permission Settings In Windows 7 Pro

Addicted Member

User Permission Settings In Windows 7 Pro

I was transferring folders and files from an external hard drive (with Windows XP Pro) to a new primary hard drive (with Windows 7 Professional). However, it seems I first have to set Permissions for each file that I need to transfer. Is it possible to set permissions at the Folder level and then transfer folders and their files all in one go. Settings User Permissions in each file is time consuming and cumbersome. How can I set permissions at the Folder level and make files to inherit the permissions? I don't see how this is done in Windows 7 Pro. Please help. Thanks

Re: User Permission Settings In Windows 7 Pro

when you take ownership of a folder there should be something there about "do you want to apply to subfolders and files", I don't remember exactly how it's worded but it's definitely there. Look for a checkbox.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    when you take ownership of a folder there should be something there about "do you want to apply to subfolders and files", I don't remember exactly how it's worded but it's definitely there. Look for a checkbox.
    --------------------
    You were spot on my Lord. I needed to assign folder ownership to Administrators and check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'. Then I could transfer files from this folder to Windows 7 Pro. Thanks a lot.

it did not have to be administrators. Just whichever group the current user is in, or the current user specifically.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell