Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of VBForums

The State of VBForums

I've been a valuable member to the VBForums community since August 2004. Thats practically nearly 9 years... Ok maybe 6 or 7 since the time I've been banned stretched a couple years. My how time flies. And it is no where near like it use to be. Back then we had some incredible members such as wossname, dglienna, NoteMe, Megatron, Electroman, RobDog888... I can go on and on. But those members are long gone. Some have retired and moved on. Others have been banned permanently. I miss the times when Chit Chat was mad crazy and people got banned left and right (and came back of course.) I missed the times the Games and Graphics section was actually very active and game questions can actually be answered with clarity. Now I feel I'm the only game expert left in these forums. I remember when VB.Net was becoming a new thing, and now there are just as many people posting thread questions in VB.Net as there is VB6. Amazingly enough, even though Microsoft has abandoned support for VB6 many many years ago, it continues to be widely used, even by myself (although I do know VB.Net, C#, and C++ just not as strong). Otherwise there wouldn't be that many thread questions in the VB6 section and VB.NET would be overflowing with people. Its probably why VBForums continues on. Could VBForums be dying a very slow death? Obviously a man with my talents should be posting game questions over in gamedev.net and stay there since there are better game experts than me in large numbers over there, not to mention all the game related topics are broken into categories, but I stay here knowing I can help others. Just that there are hardly anyone left to help in the game related area. And usually when I post a programming related question, its sometimes so advanced that I never get a good answer. If I posted the same question 5 years ago, I know I would have gotten the help I needed. I miss the old VBForums. The good ol' times. The people in general. We need people like that back.

Re: The State of VBForums

You call that nostalgia? I remember when nostalgia really meant something to people. Back in the day when people would get all misty eyed and blubbery over their dear departed comrades in code. Kids these days just don't get it. All this tosh about games and graphics, as if that really matters in the modern world. Why, I remember when snakemaker wrote something so hideous that Woka went all asterisky on his arse. I remember when Arc went off on immigrants and started one of the fastest running flame wars...then got tired of the abuse and deleted the whole thread (in those days, the OP could delete the whole thread). And back then, people would talk about the good ol' days of the Giant Crash, and the original site. That was some real nostalgia, I tell you. Nothing like the tepid, modern, variety.

However, I also remember that a thread like this one shows up every three years, or so. If you have been around long enough then you have a list of people you remember interacting with a long time back who have now departed. There are very few such people around because there are very few such people. I've now been a member for over a decade, which is longer than I've been a member of anything that I can ever remember joining. There aren't many left from when I joined, but that's actually what you would expect. Assuming that people drop away as their interests and activities change, one would expect that the longer the membership, the less numerous.

On the other hand, there have been some changes. World Events is totally moribund now, though at one point there were several active threads at any one time. The forum users aren't less intelligent or less informed (some aren't either one, but that's how it always was), but for some reason there is no discussion of world events in that forum. A few other forums have faded out, too, including games and graphics, but is there any reason why? Are there just more alternatives? Is it all fad-based?

I'd say that in CC, a bit of moderation has caused the members to be more moderate, but there just hasn't been anything all that inflammatory in a long time. On the other hand, there never was, either. That makes the few inflammatory threads appear larger, such as Arc's immigration thread.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I think vbforums needs more people in general, at least active ones such as you and I. But is there a reason why people retired and moved on? Its nearly similar to people who once got sucked into myspace, and got tired of it and moved on to facebook. But comparing that would be more of like comparing vbforums to a fad, which you can't really do cause it really isn't. To some people its a programmers lifestyle. Vbforums has changed over the years but not by much lately. And as people retire, vbforums ends up losing valuable members. And it's hard for this place to get active members to replace them. Some people join and post maybe one or two threads, and never come back. Maybe every couple hundred new members we end up getting one that actually sticks around. On top of that theres competition with other sites such as codeguru, gamedev, and others, with this place being more targeted towards vb.

In my opinion, I think Microsoft changed VB way too much and now it looks too much like C#, Java, and C++, and for every new version to come out, it ends up looking even more like those languages. BASIC is suppose to be simplistic and used for rapid application deployment, and Microsoft got it right with VB6 in that sense, which is why it continues to be used to this day. If only they made a true VB7 that would be the shiznits. Thats pretty much why the threads continue pumping over in the vb6 section as much as vb.net.

Addicted Member

Maybe the VB user base is getting smaller compared to the rest of the programming world.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

You're forgetting that recently there has been an explosion in the popularity of powerful mobile devices. The desktop just isn't the "it" thing anymore. Its quite probable that if mobile devices weren't as powerful as they are today, you'd be seeing a lot more action in the graphics section. As multi-core processors become standard in phones and the surge popularity of browser based games, its not hard to imagine that anyone who has interest in game development or graphics related programming in general are heading to those platforms. Its not that VB or VBForums is dying....The desktop is. Us desktop developers are dinosaurs man.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

I am relatively new here, but I think the number of websites has overgrown, the amount of tech help sites exploded. We deal today in an age of information overload. Everything is already at your fingertips, and things are more documented than ever, a simple google search solves most of my problems these days. I dont think .net scared away vb6'ers, if anything that is their future, and they should well embrace it since MS doesn't plan to release a VB version 7 and 6 is long-gone as far as support(they internally incremented with .net). Apps moved from the clunky desktop as Niya says to mobile phones and tablets. Why? Because that's where the money and a booming market is at: phone apps and little games. If VB scared people away, I would be inclined to say go look at eclipse and how much is sucks (IMO) compared to visual studio. I think that would scare more people away than anything. I also think that people learning .net move to c# since that is the microsoft standard now and once you get vb.net, its not hard to understand c#, with the subtle differences.

Yea eclipse made it super hard for me to make a simple Java app for Android. Less than half the time it said my app had errors when it clearly didn't, and i had to save it, exit out, and reopen eclipse just for it to finally say it was error free. Thats whats preventing me from working with java apps to begin with, not to mention learning both java and xml simultaneously is a pain.

I've also been around here for quite a while, and it's true that you miss the members that once was here. I remember joining VBForums when I started programming. (Both as a career and a hobby) Now I hardly visit here anymore purely because of my skill level improving so much that I rarely need help from others when it comes to programming.

I was more active in CC than anywhere else though, and this is what I miss the most. Seeing the posts from Wossname that can make you wet yourself, kregg and his drama, maxilimianhofmeyr (or something like that, can never remember his name) with his ridiculous puns and general way of speaking... I think I joined just after the big crash so I can't really comment on that.

Those were good times...

EDIT: Hehe, I see I still have the talk like a pirate day avatar from a very long time ago here! That was a seriously long time ago...

I started here when i was 15... now im 21. I spent a lot of time here whenIi was younger because I spent a lot of time sitting at my computer... Now that I am older I am more active outside of my room and doing 21 year old things (getting my drink on).

I also remember talking to a lot of VBFers on MSN. That one time timeshifter did a DOS attack on my network... Mendhak and his automated message from MSN...klegg. Good times.

I was also active for most of the time Jacob Roman was banned and everyone talked about how they missed him. Now you are back... and they are all gone.

You guys make me wonder why I didn't come here long ago. Seems there was a golden age and I missed it
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Yea eclipse made it super hard for me to make a simple Java app for Android. Less than half the time it said my app had errors when it clearly didn't, and i had to save it, exit out, and reopen eclipse just for it to finally say it was error free.
    That's because you looked right at it, you dummy. Everybody knows that you don't look straight at eclipse. You have to wear special glasses, or look at it through a pinhole camera, or it does bad things to your eyes and your brain. Look at what it did to you from just that one little encounter! Not to invoke Witis, or anything like that, but even the Peanuts comic strip ran a series on how to look at eclipse.

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

Did it involve smearing both eyes with peanut butter?
    All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

The thing that strikes me is how many of the MIA members are still moderators. I can't remember the last time I saw a Mendhak post but he's still on the ASP.Net moderators list. Our pun rating is suffering for his absence.

I think there's some fine new characters on the forum but I definitely miss alot of the old-school names and CC doesn't seem as sparkly without them. It's just not the same if Cryptoblade isn't threatening to disembowel you with a spoon and OceanBelle isn't obsessing over rice and kittens. And if I don't see EyeRMonkey's avatar again soon I feel I may go into Orangutan withdrawel.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 11th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I think that EyeRMonkey may still be with us under a different name, but I've kind of lost track of which names people changed to.

PowerPoster

Niya, did you make your avatar from my fire app?
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?451051-VB6-Fire-!!!

No one mentioned about me the sound & encryption guru!!

Anyways... I haven't been active on vbforums for a long time. I've been doing electronics, but stopped that when my baby came along I have a 2 month old son

Yeah, being a parent is a serious impediment to pretty much everything else, which is why I have avoided it, thus far. Others can follow that path, and most of my friends have, but I have too many miles left to walk.

You haven't really been gone, though. Didn't you write some stuff about automation and various things a couple months ago? Or maybe that was a year or more back. Time does seem to be flying.

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael View Post
    Niya, did you make your avatar from my fire app?
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?451051-VB6-Fire-!!!
    Well I won't discount the fact that the fire may have well originated with your app but I found it by typing something like "Animated Flame GIF" in Google. It gave me a choice of several images from all over the place. After that, I had to make heavy modifications for VBForums to accept it properly.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    You're forgetting that recently there has been an explosion in the popularity of powerful mobile devices. The desktop just isn't the "it" thing anymore. Its quite probable that if mobile devices weren't as powerful as they are today, you'd be seeing a lot more action in the graphics section. As multi-core processors become standard in phones and the surge popularity of browser based games, its not hard to imagine that anyone who has interest in game development or graphics related programming in general are heading to those platforms. Its not that VB or VBForums is dying....The desktop is. Us desktop developers are dinosaurs man.
    I'd say this is an unfortunate but quite accurate observation.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'm still here JR

As far as Cc dying, yes IM'ing was a fad so to speak which kept alot of us together on the forums in cc. With new sites and fb the activity had to go somewhere.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I still lurk here every now and then, but I believe this is my first post since 2009 or '10. Basically I got tired of being insulted and having my sanity questioned simply because my political views don't quite mesh with all but a handful of members here. Then whenever I get a good ribbing in on someone it inevitably gets deleted. Chit Chat just wasn't any fun anymore. So I found other forums in which to torment and amuse...

Plus I no longer develop in VB or .NET. At least not at my day job.

Now that I'm back to working daytime hours I may start posting again. We'll see.

Homer

p.s. Just for old time's sake...

Attachment 97695

I had a consultant in here a few months ago and when they needed answers they did not jump onto VBFORUMS...

there is that poorly organized other option that seems to be popular amongst the newly educated set ...stuckinflow - outflow - stacked - over - under... you know what I mean

The threads on this site are so much clearer...

At any rate - as a coder I still find this site extremely helpful. I've asked way-over-the-top questions here - even lately - and still know I will get a great answer. Doesn't matter if it's a VB question or a C++ or Javascript - I always get an answer quickly.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Well Google queries brings up answers from that "other" site way more often than it does VBForums and its usually ranked higher in cases where both sites are in the results.

Maybe vbForums needs a change or improvement to encourage more people to come here since there is competition.

BTW Welcome back RobDog888 I miss ya

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Well Google queries brings up answers from that "other" site way more often than it does VBForums and its usually ranked higher in cases where both sites are in the results.
    Really? I usually get the reverse on that.... *shrug*

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I'm still here JR
    I see you more in FB than here. =)

EDIT:

I'm an I.T. Instructor now and always reprimand my students that asks programming questions in FB, I usually tell them to visit vbforums instead. =)
    Regards,

â„¢

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Not only programming, people shouldn't be seeking any kind of knowledge on FB. I'm sure there are exceptions but in general FB is utterly devoid of any kind of wisdom, knowledge or intelligence. Its just a huge showcase for vanity.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Maybe vbForums needs a change or improvement to encourage more people to come here
    Maybe a software upgrade... actually, let's not do that again.

I have to agree with Niya's experience, StuckFlowValve tends to come up above VBF for me when I'm googling for a solution these days.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You should never mix your professional and personal life in the web - I stay off FB for that reason...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Well I never ever ever put up personal information on the web, especially not FB. No pictures no nothing. So no one can link any of my antics online to me.

This thread reminds me of when the IBM mainframe application programmer market dried up...ahh the good old days

Forums and technical groups dried up, jobs when overseas to India and Brazil overnight, and PC programmers started popping up. Back then they were considered novices that really didn't have a clue about working on a "real" computer. Now with the exception of some companies where a bank of servers still doesn't have the juice to carry the load the mainframe is dead in the business world.

Yes I lament those good old days being gone. But here I am and it is today. To me this forum is as lively and informative of any other I know of by far. Not being a member of the old school I can't really reminisce with you old timers. I can say I went through a whole technology shift in IT and lived to talk about it

I really don’t want to do it again though…It really sucks going from expert to novice seemingly overnight. Fifteen years ago you could step away from the mainframe and return a year later with not much changed. Now if you oversleep you missed the latest and greatest and everyone is on to the next thing.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Mar 15th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Now if you oversleep you missed the latest and greatest and everyone is on to the next thing.
    So true. But that's not the worst thing. The new thing is actually a bunch of new things where one will eventually become dominant and the rest would become niches. The problem with this is...how do you place your bets in the beginning on which of incarnation of these "new things" will become the de-facto standard. Could anyone have guessed in the 90s that Windows would kill OS/2 or PC would dominate the Mac or ZIP disks would pale in comparison to the later arrived Nana flash memory technology. This is what I find depressing about the IT industry. You only have so much time so you can't learn them all.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    You should never mix your professional and personal life in the web - I stay off FB for that reason...
    Hows it going Steve!

Just set your profile to private and dont accept requests that will muddy the waters

I never talk tech on fb.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Robert - things are going really great! How about you??

Problem with FB is that I did make an account (just in case it's business worthy in the future), along with linkedin and twitter - never know what technology is going to be predominant...

But I don't use that FB account at all - maybe initially posted a picture (my boys in a boat - I use them a lot) - I do keep it set to private. But I've gotten friend requests from clients - that's crossing the line. I don't use FB - so it really doesn't matter - but if I did and these clients were accepted friends then I could never keep my private and business worlds apart. And I feel funny not accepting them - so I just ignore the requests...

I even stopped posting in World Affairs here on the forum. Googling for my screen name comes up with 15,000 links - almost all in the forum here. Your screen name comes up with over 56,000 links - just noticed you were on Roblox forum. My boys play that game online all the time - do you know how to script in LUA??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

RobDog888, I just noticed this in your signature: API Viewer utility

Isn't it interesting that one month after I created my add-in, and posted it here API Add-In for Visual Basic, they come up with that?

FB causes more headaches and heartaches than any benefit I have seen.

PowerPoster

What is FB?

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

PowerPoster

Ohh.. Facebook!

IHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    FB causes more headaches and heartaches than any benefit I have seen.
    For some strange reason I can never take FB seriously. I'm like the only person I know who think its uninteresting. Don't get me wrong, its quite a marvelous technical achievement. Any programmer has to respect that, but the content, which is provided by the users, is just....vapid, childish, idiotic. All my friends seem to love it for some reason.

I quit facebook a long time ago cause all my exs kept trying to add me and pm me......

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast