Thread: [RESOLVED] Single File Deployment

Resolved [RESOLVED] Single File Deployment

I have a standard simple vb.net application and setup an installer within VS 2010.

So I have two resulting files setup.exe and myapp.msi.

I understand from another forum that "The MSI file really *is* a single file solution - but only if your users already have MS Installer 2.0 installed. The exe and ini files are really just provided to make it easier for people without MSI2 to get it installed." - Jon Skeet

If this is so, then it would seem sensible to use both to cover older and newer installations. But the problem then is a multi step process, ie download a zip or similar file. Extract then have the user run setup.exe.

What I would like to achieve is for a user to download a single file from a web site and execute that file to do the install.

Sort of like a single file download with auto execute of the setup.exe, like a single file bootstraper.

Can anyone provide some help.

PS. I can't afford a commercial package like installshield so am looking for alternatives.

Re: Single File Deployment

Why don't you try INNO SETUP? Great, easy and free!

If you found my post helpful, please rate it.

Codebank Submission: FireFox Browser (Gecko) in VB.NET, Load files, (sub)folders treeview with Windows icons

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by bc59 View Post
    But the problem then is a multi step process, ie download a zip or similar file. Extract then have the user run setup.exe.
    No, this is why people create self-extracting archives in the form of an executable. When you build the archive EXE you can describe what actions should be taken after extraction, such as running installations.

IExpress is one tool for doing this, and it has shipped as part of Windows for a long time now (starting with Windows XP in 2001?).

Thanks this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I've located and am running IExpress Wizard but am ghetting a strange error in the last step of the wizard:

"Unable to open the report file"

I tried changing the output directory but am still getting the same error any ideas?

Resolved Re: Single File Deployment

Ok, Fixed sorry for the knee jerk response.
    Even though my user has administrator privileges I needed to "Run as Administrator" in order to get it working correctly.
    I’ve run it and tested the final install on a separate computer and all worked fine.
    Thanks for all your help.

Ok, Fixed sorry for the knee jerk response.
    Even though my user has administrator privileges I needed to "Run as Administrator" in order to get it working correctly.
    I’ve run it and tested the final install on a separate computer and all worked fine.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Please edit your original post and add "Resolved" to the thread title or go to "Thread Tools" and select "Mark thread resolved" from the drop-down list.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

There are two possible solutions to this that work in Vista or later.

One is to name the EXE something like setup.exe or install.exe, which are names Windows will recognize as setups and automatically prompt for elevation.

Another is to use a manifest embedder to insert an elevation manifest in the EXE. I use GoingUp! for this.

Re: [RESOLVED] Single File Deployment

So, if anyone else runs into this issue...no old thread B.S. comments note....I ask you that sufficient privileges in Win7 not working then go to CMD and type iexpress then follow the wizard and it should work....I had all but given up hope why was not working today...so, hope this help someone with my 5 hours figure out. The report file and write mod...something needs updated with Microsoft here or patched in my opinion. This is good alternative for folks without .pdf and clueless to extract --run--yes, if browser will not allow is only issue here now, but someone will have to be intelligent enough to navigate to your area to trust a simple instruction though.