Thread: Maybe the police should give away dashcams

Addicted Member

Maybe the police should give away dashcams

Think about this. Some police departments are cash-strapped. I say, if they could find a way to finance a program where they can see what you see when you are driving, they can keep an eye on things even if there are no cops around. i'm not saying cops should not be patrolling the streets. They should.

There are two advantages to you. Because you get a free camera that sends a video feed to the police, they can watch your house when nobody's there and nab anyone you see for a violation.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

Re: Maybe the police should give away dashcams

Big Brother, is that you?

There is always private persons arrest. In California, any person can perform a private person arrest for a misdemeanor or felony committed in their presence. A peace officer must take custody of that individual. Now what they do with the individual after taking custody is up the officer. They can let them go or actually arrest them, depending on the circumstances.

I misread the title. I thought you were arguing that police should give away dacshunds.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

It's not exactly as what you are saying, but in Russia a lot of people use dash cams, some even up to 4 recording in different directions. But they use it for their personal protection from false claims and litigation and as protection from corrupt cops. If you search YouTube for "crash compilation" you will see that most of the footage is from dash cams in Russia. It's actually a pretty good thing to have, considering you can get one for $20-$50. You don't have to be the one involved in an accident, if you happen to catch one happening around you the footage would be valuable in court. I'm thinking of getting a couple for myself.

PowerPoster

I've often thought that "dashcam bounties" should be offered by insurance companies. When somebody pulls a stunt and nearly kills you, you could upload the video showing the license plate and the idiocy to a clearing house and get a reward (as they drop the dumb sucker or up his premiums).

I had no idea ************* was a swear word. {c l e a r i n g h o u s e}

Only when you say it 'that' way....

If you understand the previous statement, you either have to start taking your meds if you have stopped, or stop taking your meds if you have started.

Addicted Member

They could attach a radar gun and catch other drivers speeding. Think about this: it could result in more criminals being caught. Or knowing that everyone has a camera in their cars that the police can see could very well deter people from committing crimes.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

Correct me if I am wrong moonman239, are you suggesting that the police should be able to install radar guns and dashcams in every car, and cameras in every house and property, which are only accessible only by the police who can use it to monitor everyone and convict criminals?
    All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

I'm a bit surprised that such an Orwellian idea would come from someone so strongly opposed to "big government".

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm a bit surprised that such an Orwellian idea would come from someone so strongly opposed to "big government".
    That is a bit surprising but I get the impression MM is more concerned with the police seeing what the other guys is up to.

I've got to admit, there have been times when I'd really like to have had a camera in my car to record some of the stupid things other drivers have done. I think I'd rather provide the camera myslef, though, and use my own discretion about what to submit to the police.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    That is a bit surprising but I get the impression MM is more concerned with the police seeing what the other guys is up to.
    Right. But to all others you are the other guy.

If you're interested in cameras, take a look at focalprice.com It comes up a lot when you search Google Shopping for "car dvr" and similar. They don't have brand name stuff but it seems that loads of russians buy from them and they're very cheap. (EDIT: The merchandise is cheap, not Russians )
    Last edited by baja_yu; Mar 11th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    They could attach a radar gun and catch other drivers speeding. Think about this: it could result in more criminals being caught. Or knowing that everyone has a camera in their cars that the police can see could very well deter people from committing crimes.
    If you think traffic violations are something serious and that they should put more effort into enforcing, you are misguided. Traffic violators, are not criminals. The guy who kicked in a senior citizens door is a criminal.

Your signature is still out-dated. 2012 was obviously not his year.

I don't think 2013 is starting out any better for him. I hear that Romney is still shocked by the result of the election.