Thread: VB6 NewSocket

Frenzied Member

VB6 NewSocket

The original CSocket/SocketMaster emulated the Microsoft Winsock Control. cSocket2 introduced the newer Dual Stack calls that would support IPv6 as well as IPv4 , but remained procedurally the same. All of them supported the sending/receiving of all types of data (byte, string, integer, long, etc). WSA sockets treated everything as byte data and could care less what type of data it was, and it was up to the higher level programs as to how that data was treated. What I found was that all my programs utilizing cSocket2 used string data, which made a lot of the code used to support data types unused and redundant. Even though the conversion of Unicode string data (16 bit) to byte data (8 bit) was inefficient, VB6 contained a plethora of commands that made manipulating string data relatively easy, and inherently took care of garbage collection.

NewSocket sends and receives string data only. There is only a single conversion made to and from byte data.

I was not happy with the way cSocket2 handled errors, so now all errors are returned to the calling program for handling through the Error Event.

Modern Cryptographic techniques are built on top of TCP/IP, so a new Event called "EncrDataArrival" was added along with a flag to allow incoming encrypted data to be treated differently from plain data.

Originally, the LocalPort(PropertyGet) routine would simply return the value of m_lngLocalPort, which was assigned during the Bind process. However, GetAddrInfo automatically assigns the first available socket on a Connect call (Bind not called), and the routine would return zero. It was changed to use GetLocalPort.

J.A. Coutts

06/06/15 - NewSocket has been updated. See:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...35#post4889535
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by couttsj; Jun 6th, 2015 at 11:47 PM.

Frenzied Member

Re: VB6 NewSocket

I haven't tested newSocket, but I see you used StrConv which is not Unicode-compatible.

Frenzied Member

I have never had a problem using this function to convert from Unicode string to byte array and back again. If there are other issues, please point me in the right direction.

J.A. Coutts

PowerPoster

On japanese systems is even ANSI double-byte. StrConv is cutting off the second byte and thus there are some situations where StrConv is causing a loss of data.

Frenzied Member

The help file says that it is supposed to do the conversion according to the default code page of the system it is running on (much like the date settings).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    vbUnicode - 64 - Converts the string to Unicode using the default code page of the system.
    vbFromUnicode - 128 - Converts the string from Unicode to the default code page of the system.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you saying that this is not always the case? And if so, under what conditions?

It certainly seems to work for standard ANSI characters.

J.A. Coutts

Frenzied Member

Found this little routine that could be used to replace StrConv. Trouble is I don't know how you would determine when to use it, since it does require setting a flag.

J.A. Coutts

Edit: A much cleaner (and presumably faster) way to convert Unicode byte arrays is to coerce it into a string using the Let statement. Sample code below has been modified to reflect that.
    Code:
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (hpvDest As Any, hpvSource As Any, ByVal cbCopy As Long)

'CodePage
    Private Const CP_ACP = 0 'ANSI
    Private Const CP_MACCP = 2 'Mac
    Private Const CP_OEMCP = 1 'OEM
    Private Const CP_UTF7 = 65000
    Private Const CP_UTF8 = 65001

'dwFlags
    Private Const WC_NO_BEST_FIT_CHARS = &H400
    Private Const WC_COMPOSITECHECK = &H200
    Private Const WC_DISCARDNS = &H10
    Private Const WC_SEPCHARS = &H20 'Default
    Private Const WC_DEFAULTCHAR = &H40

'The WideCharToMultiByte function maps a wide-character string to a new character string.
    'The function is faster when both lpDefaultChar and lpUsedDefaultChar are NULL.
    Private Declare Function WideCharToMultiByte Lib "kernel32" (ByVal CodePage As Long, _
                                                        ByVal dwFlags As Long, _
                                                        ByVal lpWideCharStr As Long, _
                                                        ByVal cchWideChar As Long, _
                                                        ByVal lpMultiByteStr As Long, _
                                                        ByVal cbMultiByte As Long, _
                                                        ByVal lpDefaultChar As Long, _
                                                        ByVal lpUsedDefaultChar As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Dim bANSI() As Byte
        Dim bUNI() As Byte
        Dim sTest As String
        Dim sRestore As String
        Dim I As Long
        sTest = "Testing"
        bANSI = StringToByteArray(sTest, False)
        Debug.Print "ANSI = '" & ByteArrayToString(bANSI) & "' Len = " & UBound(bANSI) + 1
        For I = 0 To UBound(bANSI)
            Debug.Print Hex$(bANSI(I)) & " ";
        Next
        Debug.Print
        bUNI = StringToByteArray(sTest)
        Debug.Print "UNICODE = '" & ByteArrayToString(bUNI) & "' Len = " & UBound(bUNI) + 1
        For I = 0 To UBound(bUNI)
            Debug.Print Hex$(bUNI(I)) & " ";
        Next
        Debug.Print
        'Using StrConv to convert a Unicode character array directly
        'will cause the resultant string to have extra embedded nulls
        'reason, StrConv does not know the difference between Unicode and ANSI
        Debug.Print "StrConv ANSI = " & StrConv(bANSI, vbUnicode)
        Debug.Print "StrConv UNICODE = " & StrConv(bUNI, vbUnicode)
        Let sRestore = bANSI
        Debug.Print "Assign ANSI = " & sRestore
        Let sRestore = bUNI
        Debug.Print "Assign UNICODE = " & sRestore
    End Sub

Private Function ByteArrayToString(Bytes() As Byte) As String
        Dim iUnicode As Long, I As Long, j As Long
        On Error Resume Next
        I = UBound(Bytes)
        If (I < 1) Then
            'ANSI, just convert to unicode and return
            ByteArrayToString = StrConv(Bytes, vbUnicode)
            Exit Function
        End If
        I = I + 1
        'Examine the first two bytes
        CopyMemory iUnicode, Bytes(0), 2
        If iUnicode = Bytes(0) Then 'Unicode
            'Account for terminating null
            If (I Mod 2) Then I = I - 1
            'Set up a buffer to recieve the string
            ByteArrayToString = String$(I / 2, 0)
            'Copy to string
            CopyMemory ByVal StrPtr(ByteArrayToString), Bytes(0), I
        Else 'ANSI
            ByteArrayToString = StrConv(Bytes, vbUnicode)
        End If
    End Function

Private Function StringToByteArray(strInput As String, Optional bReturnAsUnicode As Boolean = True, Optional bAddNullTerminator As Boolean = False) As Byte()
        Dim lRet As Long
        Dim byteBuffer() As Byte
        Dim lLenB As Long
        If bReturnAsUnicode Then
            lLenB = LenB(strInput)
            'Resize buffer, do we want terminating null?
            If bAddNullTerminator Then
                ReDim byteBuffer(lLenB)
            Else
                ReDim byteBuffer(lLenB - 1)
            End If
            'Copy characters from string to byte array
            CopyMemory byteBuffer(0), ByVal StrPtr(strInput), lLenB
        Else
            lLenB = Len(strInput)
            'Num of characters
            If bAddNullTerminator Then
                ReDim byteBuffer(lLenB)
            Else
                ReDim byteBuffer(lLenB - 1)
            End If
            lRet = WideCharToMultiByte(CP_ACP, 0&, ByVal StrPtr(strInput), -1, ByVal VarPtr(byteBuffer(0)), lLenB, 0&, 0&)
        End If
        StringToByteArray = byteBuffer
    End Function
    Last edited by couttsj; Mar 19th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.

PowerPoster

For unicode-capable socket-channels UTF8 (without BOM) makes the least problems as the finally transported ByteArray-Format,
    because the Char-range from 0 - 127 is encoded (out of WChars within this range) fully compatible to ASCII (1:1) and
    vice versa.

This ensures that protocols as e.g. http (all the Header-prefixes and stuff) translate as they should, whilst the content
    which follows behind, could still contain char-sequences from out of the full Unicode-Range.

With the MultiByte-APIs you're already on the right track - just use them with the correct UTF-8 Codepage 65001 -
    (there exist ready-to-use Conversion-functions in the Web already for UTF8ToVBString and vice versa though).

Olaf

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by couttsj View Post
    The original CSocket/SocketMaster emulated the Microsoft Winsock Control. cSocket2 introduced the newer Dual Stack calls that would support IPv6 as well as IPv4 , but remained procedurally the same. All of them supported the sending/receiving of all types of data (byte, string, integer, long, etc). WSA sockets treated everything as byte data and could care less what type of data it was, and it was up to the higher level programs as to how that data was treated. What I found was that all my programs utilizing cSocket2 used string data, which made a lot of the code used to support data types unused and redundant. Even though the conversion of Unicode string data (16 bit) to byte data (8 bit) was inefficient, VB6 contained a plethora of commands that made manipulating string data relatively easy, and inherently took care of garbage collection.

NewSocket sends and receives string data only. There is only a single conversion made to and from byte data.

I was not happy with the way cSocket2 handled errors, so now all errors are returned to the calling program for handling through the Error Event.

Modern Cryptographic techniques are built on top of TCP/IP, so a new Event called "EncrDataArrival" was added along with a flag to allow incoming encrypted data to be treated differently from plain data.

Originally, the LocalPort(PropertyGet) routine would simply return the value of m_lngLocalPort, which was assigned during the Bind process. However, GetAddrInfo automatically assigns the first available socket on a Connect call (Bind not called), and the routine would return zero. It was changed to use GetLocalPort.

J.A. Coutts
    I have a class obtained from somewhere who claimed to support Unicode. But I never got a chance to test it.
    Refer to attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonney; Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:05 PM.