Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FAQ]Would there be interest for....

[FAQ]Would there be interest for....

I was thinking about easy games to make or rather simple games. would it be an idea to have a list of games, maybe in the FAQ or even as a seperate sticky (mind I don't want too many stickys). This would be a list of types of games people could have a go at when they have nothign to do and we could show case all the ones people have done.

The kinda things I'm talking about are "The Worm Game", "Pacman", That game where you have split off areas and keep doing it till you have 80% or something, there are little things flying round that kill you if they touch your trail while slitting off areas.
    Theres even one I've seen which is called "Five Stones" its basically O's & X's apart from you have a really big grid and you keep going until you get 5 in a row.

What are poeple views on us making a thread like this?
    Last edited by NoteMe; Jul 20th, 2005 at 02:30 AM.
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

Super Moderator

Re: Would there be interest for....

Quote Originally Posted by Electroman
    I was thinking about easy games to make or rather simple games. would it be an idea to have a list of games, maybe in the FAQ or even as a seperate sticky (mind I don't want too many stickys). This would be a list of types of games people could have a go at when they have nothign to do and we could show case all the ones people have done.

The kinda things I'm talking about are "The Worm Game", "Pacman", That game where you have split off areas and keep doing it till you have 80% or something, there are little things flying round that kill you if they touch your trail while slitting off areas.
    Theres even one I've seen which is called "Five Stones" its basically O's & X's apart from you have a really big grid and you keep going until you get 5 in a row.

What are poeple views on us making a thread like this?
    Great idea i'd try to take part

What about just making a new post with it in the FAQ, then add a new word to the title like you have all ready done?

Ohhh and remember "Snake"...

All of those games except pacman can probably be programmed in a variation of in a few hours....I love it!

Not only should you make a thread for it but you should push people to develop on the same ideas and see who's is best.

But you may wish to point out that recreating snake for the 1,000,000,000 time is pointless....Remake snake and instead add a twist -- any twist -- and its original.

Snake, with obstacles, bonus rounds, moving things you have to eat, random things you eat which make your tail smaller, items which pop up and make you go SUPER fast or SUPER slow...A tongue maybe so you can eat at a distance.

I've been playing games since the 80's, I know all about the 'easy/simple' games.
    "From what was there, and was meant to be, but not of that was faded away." - - Steve Damm

"The polar opposite of nothingness is existance. When existance calls apon nothingness it shall return to nothingness." - - Steve Damm

"When you do things right, people won't be sure if you did anything at all." - - God from Futurama

All the feedback so far is really good, I'll make the post for the FAQ in the next couple of days but in the mean time if we can use this thread to make a list of games we should put on the list.

BTW I can remove the "Notice: Please Read" thread if people want this to be a seperate thread otherwise I'm happy to add it to the end of the FAQ. Personally I thinkt he notice still has purpose to newer members .

As for the Snake game I had thought to say that in my first post but went against it cos the ChitChat version of it .....Anyone know what the game is called that I tried to describe by dividing off areas?
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

I didn't even take time to think about...now I got the picture in my head but the name eludes me.
    I keep thinking dig dug but thats not it...it is only distracting me.
    "From what was there, and was meant to be, but not of that was faded away." - - Steve Damm

"The polar opposite of nothingness is existance. When existance calls apon nothingness it shall return to nothingness." - - Steve Damm

"When you do things right, people won't be sure if you did anything at all." - - God from Futurama

For those who can't be sure what game I'm talking about heres a picture of what its like.

The map would start blue in this case and your the little purple ship. You split off areas, as shown by the green line. Once you complete one it turns red, if your green line is hit then you die, or basically its bad.
    You win by getting a certain percentage of the screen red .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How can the green line be hit? By you?

192.168.0.1 Preferred Animal: Penguin Reason for errors: Line#38

I loved that game, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Asteroids is a must and how about pong, could be multiplayer to give people the chance to experiment with making a simple multiplayer game.
    Quotes:
    "I am getting better then you guys.." NoteMe, on his leet english skills.
    "And I am going to meat her again later on tonight." NoteMe
    "I think you should change your name to QuoteMe" Shaggy Hiker, regarding NoteMe
    "my sweet lord jesus. I've decided never to have breast implants" Tom Gibbons
    Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

By enemies that fly around in the blue stuff, I forgot to draw them, soz.

P.S. I saw a version were you had three type, one type could only stay on the red bit, one only on the blue and one that ignored the border and went everywhere. Also they all don't have AI they just bounce around on the borders .

Quote Originally Posted by SLH
    I loved that game, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Asteroids is a must and how about pong, could be multiplayer to give people the chance to experiment with making a simple multiplayer game.
    Nice one, can't believe I forgot about Astroids.

Here's a short list of what we got so far:

1. Astroids
    2. Pong
    3. The Worm Game
    4. Snake
    5. Pacman
    6 .Five Stones
    7. The Unkown Game

I thought you were talking about Jezzball first, but after have seen the image it isn't that game...

Well, you could add Breakout, classic ^^, and hmm tetris maybe?(Or anything with falling blocks)? I don't know that fits into easy games, and bust a move maybe?(no that's probably to hard)... ... ...

BTW, What's the difference between Snake and the worm game?

you cant tell me your going to miss lemmings out, Also i think we should have at least one platform game in there (i aint talking to the standards of mario, more like manic miner)......

anyway i would love to take part in this, but you can expext my first few games to be a biut slow, just learning dx. so will probibly use bitblt for the first few games.

whens the first one starting?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by makster246
    you cant tell me your going to miss lemmings out, Also i think we should have at least one platform game in there (i aint talking to the standards of mario, more like manic miner)......

anyway i would love to take part in this, but you can expext my first few games to be a biut slow, just learning dx. so will probibly use bitblt for the first few games.

whens the first one starting?

Rob
    Rather than like the Contests this would just be in your own time kinda thing and as you complete them just PM me and I'd add your games to the list of completed ones.
    The main aim for this is just cos when I have some spare tiem and want to make a simple game I can never think of something good so I thought if we made a list then you would have ago at things you might not have thought of before. .

For those who can't be sure what game I'm talking about heres a picture of what its like.

The map would start blue in this case and your the little purple ship. You split off areas, as shown by the green line. Once you complete one it turns red, if your green line is hit then you die, or basically its bad.
    You win by getting a certain percentage of the screen red .
    That game is Qix or Qubix

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek
    That game is Qix or Qubix
    Nope , this is Qubix:

Mind I think I'll add that to the list .

Just checked Qix and thats it . Thanx .

Just checked Qix and thats it . Thanx .
    no worries

I had a "blast from the past" urge to play a few weeks back and thought it was called Qix, but couldnt find it for Pocket PC, in the end I found a version called Qubix so I thought that was the proper name. Now I'm all confused again!

I remember that as being QBERT.

I'd like to see TETRIS. I just tried to run my DOS version from 1988, and it won't run anymore. The one that I downloaded runs like ****. I'm sure that it wasn't designed well.

List so far:
    1. Astroids
    2. Pong
    3. The Worm Game
    4. Snake
    5. Pacman
    6 .Five Stones
    7. Qix
    8. Qubix/QBert
    9. Breakout
    10. manic miner
    11. Lemmings :unsure: Pretty big game.
    12. Tetris

If I've missed any out sorry I just had a quick look through this thread but think I've got them all.

P.S. The Worm game is where you use the mouse button to go up and down. If its pressed you go up and if its not you go down: http://www.liquidcode.org/worm.html

just thought i would add gradius to the list..

rob

192.168.0.1 Preferred Animal: Penguin Reason for errors: Line#38

(Lunar) Lander?
    Quotes:
    "I am getting better then you guys.." NoteMe, on his leet english skills.
    "And I am going to meat her again later on tonight." NoteMe
    "I think you should change your name to QuoteMe" Shaggy Hiker, regarding NoteMe
    "my sweet lord jesus. I've decided never to have breast implants" Tom Gibbons
    Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

Yep I'll add that one on.

BTW I'll try to get roudn to getting this thing done Next week, I've been really pushed for time recently but hopefully I'll get a little slack next week, if not the week after I'll definitly have enough free time .

EDIT: And SLH's Lunar/Lander too, thats was a cool game too .

how could i forget lunar lander, that was an amazing game, although i was that useless i never won..

:::::::

dont worry about not getting it done next week...we are all very patient and very happy yoru doing it at all, we dont mind waiting

Lunar/Lander was actually the very first game I made. Even though I followed the tutorial on VBWorld .

There are loads of games you can add.

1. Astroids
    2. Pong
    3. The Worm Game
    4. Snake
    5. Pacman
    6. Five Stones
    7. Qix
    8. Qubix/QBert
    9. Breakout
    10. manic miner
    11. Lemmings :unsure: Pretty big game.
    12. Tetris

Other than the orginals as above.

What about card games, puzzles or space invaders or is that same as Astroids?
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

Space Invaders is where you have a little dude on the bottom who can shot vertically and there is little invaders going side to side getting lower.
    Astroids is where your a little ship and there are astroids flying around, you have to blow them all up before they hit you .

Will add Space Invaders though.

did I already say TETRIS?

When I was young I played a computer game that had battling monkeys like King Kong. You typed in coordinates to throw banannas at each other. I have no idea what it was called though. Maybe someone here can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by aewarnick
    When I was young I played a computer game that had battling monkeys like King Kong. You typed in coordinates to throw banannas at each other. I have no idea what it was called though. Maybe someone here can remember.

Yeah, that game was great. First time I tried it was on an Atari. I had a PC version a few years back with canons in stead of monkeys. Think I still have that game lying around here somewhere, but I can't remember the name of the originale game..

I made a VB version of that game too once...never finished it though...

My last phone had that game on it, it called it "Bannanas". It had a little stick pointing out the moneky which went up and down (this was the direction to throw), and when you pressed the button it stopped and started growing and shrinking (this was for the strength to throw it). It also had a little flag in the middle to show the wind .

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by aewarnick
    I believe you are refering to the QBasic program named: Gorilla.bas

That's it!!

how about missile command.....lets defend the earth again

Rob

About your new thread:

Should we make that a post in the FAQ? Or have a link to it in the FAQ, or something like that`

I've stickied it for the moment, see how it goes, will probably eventually merge it with the FAQ making it just a post in it. Or I am considering putting it as a Announcment which would allow me to use HTML in it.

Probably best to just stick it first. So everyone know about it. Then we can merge it afterwards.

ØØ

Hyperactive Member

Would Chess also qualify as an Easy-To-Make game?

I guess that depends on if you leave out the AI or not. The AI can be made in pretty many ways.

But it is not as easy as the other games even if you leave out the AI. The testing for "chess" or "chess mate" and so on, can be hard enough for a person that havn't been programming too much.

ØØ

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar

chess might be ok if you are only able to play user vs user, there are only a few things you need to do, check for legal moves and check for winning condition. If you add AI then you need to understand and implement more advanced concept like search trees and alpha beta pruning.
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast