Thread: Framework versions question

Lively Member

Framework versions question

I assume that backwards compatibility is built in? i.e. a .DLL compiled for v3.5 should be ok to use with a v4 project?

I ask because I'm about to play with some Open Source widget and their downloads page provides versions for .net 3.5 and 4. By the sound of it, they're not using anything specific to v4 (otherwise how would they produce a 3.5 ver?) ... so why provide both?
    There is no forum for their project, or I'd ask there, but I'm sure you guys will have an answer

Thanks....

PowerPoster

Re: Framework versions question

Quote Originally Posted by geek648 View Post
    I assume that backwards compatibility is built in? i.e. a .DLL compiled for v3.5 should be ok to use with a v4 project?
    I was think so too until i faced a problem running program targeted v2.0 in Win7 with NET 3.5 installed, so i downloaded v2.0 to run that program!!!

You can assume it but don't presume it! [Oh I'm in a devilishly cryptic mood tonight!] Generally though, if there's one to match your preferred framework, use it. There'll be a reason for producing it, even if it's not obvious to you.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

Thanks, anyone else care to chip in with more technical detail?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 4x2y View Post
    I was think so too until i faced a problem running program targeted v2.0 in Win7 with NET 3.5 installed, so i downloaded v2.0 to run that program!!!
    Interesting....As far as I've observed all versions of the framework serve as prerequisites for the next version. I.e You cannot have 3.5 without 2.0 or 4 without 3.5 etc.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    As far as I've observed all versions of the framework serve as prerequisites for the next version. I.e You cannot have 3.5 without 2.0 or 4 without 3.5 etc.
    Windows 8 comes with .NET 4.5 pre-installed and you have to install .NET 3.5 to run applications that require the .NET 3.5, read more...

Hmm that is contrary. Clearly there's something I missed.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Lively Member

Thanks, it's all very intriguing and puzzling. I thought I had a grasp on it, but now I'm very confused!
    I'm keen to see what anyone else could contribute...
    Cheers

If I remember right, the progression was like this:
    FW 1.1 built upon FW1.0...
    FW 2.0 was a break from FW1.0/1.1
    3.5 added to 3.0 which added to 2.0...
    FW4.0 was another "clean" break...

Originally each release of the next version of the FW was supposed to build upon the previous version... but that meant you would have to start with 2.0, and then apply each version... so MS has added occasional breaks when there's significant enough changes. I expect the next break to be with FW6.0

Going back to the OP, that's probably why they supplied both a 3.5 and a 4.0 version of the DLL.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *