Thread: No Forum Section For Articles and Tutorials???

No Forum Section For Articles and Tutorials???

Im amazed that after all these years there was never a section added for users to submit their own articles or tutorials to teach and help educate other programmers. Sites such as gamedev.net has this, and it has certainly helped me over the years. I would like to request a section to be created as currently if i was to submit anything now, there would be no correct section in the forums to put it in. You can even categorize them such as gaming, general programming, and others, whatever you feel should be a category. I feel vbforums should be more than just a place to ask questions and submit code, but to be a place to teach others with articles and tutorials. And people can reply to them. Just an idea.

Re: No Forum Section For Articles and Tutorials???

There are already two forums for that:

UtilityBank - Tutorials

Visual Basic FAQs (only a good idea if there is an "index" page for the subject, such as Database Development or VB6)

But I figured Utility Bank would be...well for utilities such as addons or controls. Its a little cryptic. And tutorials and articles should be its own section. Otherwise noone is gonna know.

Another section would probably be a bit clearer, but plenty of people find it as it is - presumably because it is listed directly on our main page.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Another section would probably be a bit clearer, but plenty of people find it as it is - presumably because it is listed directly on our main page.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to extend those forum descriptions a bit more and/or more them right into peoples line of sight.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

A lot of people submit their articles to Codeguru's VB section since it is related to this site. We could create a content/article section on the forum if the mods and community are willing to manage it.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah i think you should definitely do it, and have in maybe a few categories. This will help vbforums expand and continue to help the programming community. In my opinion, having tutorials completely hidden in utility bank isnt a good idea

I didn't even know there was a utility bank for tutorials.....I think just now is the first time I actually went there. I've written two articles and posted those in the CodeBank. It seemed appropriate as they are accompanied by code that demonstrates what they were about. I don't think as many people may have found them if it was posted in the utility bank.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I think the CodeBank sections get used for this a lot. After all, just tossing a blob of code with a description header on it doesn't work except for the most trivial things.

Lots of examples require extensive explanation such as several stages of required effort (installation of prerequisites, administrative environment setup, special build processes, and so on).

I'm not sure that a new forum for tutorials is needed since UtilityBank - Tutorials exists. But it doesn't seem to have the necessary visibility there. I don't have a fix, just a comment that we probably don't need an additional forum.

Maybe move it to General, next to Code It Better?

PowerPoster

Wow, I checked out a few of the existing "tutorials."

Most don't come close to adhering to the posting guidelines for that forum. Few even seem to be tutorials, consisting instead of opinion pieces or code snippets more suited to a CodeBank submission.

I guess it's a sort of dumping ground forum.