Thread: speed & duplex Issue

Frenzied Member

Question speed & duplex Issue

hi friends,today server is pinging . and in between it was time out automatic for some momemnt .and one of the network technician simple changed the speed & duplex to 10 mb half in place of auto .after that it is pinging like a charm .can anyone tell me what is a concept of duplex .
    any help would be highly appreciated .

Attachment 95913

Re: speed & duplex Issue

I'd fire that technician... Instead of fixing the source of the problem which is likely bad wiring and/or interferences on the line causing collisions/lost packages, he reduced the speed... That isn't an acceptable fix by any standard. As to answer your question, duplex means 2-way communication simultaneously. Half-duplex means 2 way communication but only 1 direction at any given time. By setting the speed of your gigabit nic to 10Mb half-duplex, he makes the connection 200 times slower.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Re: speed & duplex Issue

Well, that's actually a clever solution to getting the machine at least limping back online... provided there's going to be follow-up to fix the real problem. If this is the "fix" then .Agreed, fire him. That's totally unacceptable as a "solution".

He gimped the network card down to a low setting. At 10mbps half duplex, it's only using 4 of the 8 wires in the network cable; which is most likely your problem. Invest in a cable tester and check your switchboard's wiring. It will be either the 1-2 pair or the 7-8 pair that's bad.
    Last edited by Jenner; Feb 5th, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein