Thread: SendData and GetData SECURITY

SendData and GetData SECURITY

Hi guys how's life?

Well, I am creating a client-server connection, sending and receiving data.

Code:
    Private Sub RequestAuth_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long)

Dim Authorization As String

' get data from client
        RequestAuth.GetData Authorization, vbString
        If Authorization = "allowed" Then
        Call GameList
        End If

End Sub
    as you can see, the code send a word to the server. I want a function to make it harder to hack, because this way I know it's very easy.

Any ideas? Thank you

Re: SendData and GetData SECURITY

You could encrypt the data itself before sending it and decrypt it when you receive it. Both client and server would have to use the same encryption key and algorithm and there is no way for anyone sniffing your network to know either.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Yeah good option. But I was scared that someone could read the packets that my server need to execute the action. And just send that packets with another application and get authorization to login.

is there anyway to prevent packet reading or packet sendind if not from my server?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarKs View Post
    is there anyway to prevent packet reading or packet sendind if not from my server?
    Not really no. But you shouldn't have a server unsecured by default anyway. This way ordinary users would be unable to install packet sniffers on your server.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

what should I do to make my server secure? it's a verification server: connect, send information, get information back, close connection.

What OS is your server running ? Windows I assume ?

on Windows server 2008..

Banned

Exclamation Re: SendData and GetData SECURITY

look for vb6 debuggers ad the many memory hack debug modules out there ,,,,,,,,,,, packet sniffers are debuggers they read executables from pc memory so what u need to do is deny if debuggers are detected crash the executables.

to keep hackers or annoyers away finish of the game they start , add some codes in your client such as restart pc , hange , or reformat pc or add blue screen of death i dont have to tell u these lines pick it up , once they se any of these they will run away u win
    Last edited by ladoo; Feb 1st, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarKs View Post
    on Windows server 2008..
    Well the simplest solution is to secure Windows itself meaning that you only allow administrator access to yourself and people you trust. If people can't access Windows, they certainly cannot install a packet sniffer.

Quote Originally Posted by ladoo View Post
    look for vb6 debuggers ad the many memory hack debug modules out there ,,,,,,,,,,, packet sniffers are debuggers they read executables from pc memory so what u need to do is deny if debuggers are detected crash the executables.

to keep hackers or annoyers away finish of the game they start , add some codes in your client such as restart pc , hange , or reformat pc or add blue screen of death i dont have to tell u these lines pick it up , once they se any of these they will run away u win
    so right! an antidebugger may be a good idea. will try it soon. Thank you guys! you helped me so much