Thread: [RESOLVED] Switch between two Frames during Run-Time, customized in Design Mode

Resolved [RESOLVED] Switch between two Frames during Run-Time, customized in Design Mode

Hey all!

I'm trying to switch back-and-form between frames/forms during run-time, and would like to design each frame/form in design mode.

FYI: I've seen a lot of information about hiding/showing forms, so to let you know, this is NOT what I am trying to do.
    Instead, I want to load/show 1 form, and in that form there will be different frames/panels that are displayed based on the user's progress. (Similar functionality to clicking the 'next' button on a wizard)

I would like to be able to customize each frame in design mode since they will all have a lot of controls.

I have attempted to use MDI Forms, and this is really close to what I want; because I can design each MDI Child in design mode, then I can display the form I want based on the user's progress. The only drawback here is that each of the MDI Child forms comes with a set of min/max and close buttons. If there was some way to completely remove the "x" button, then I would be using MDI Forms. Note: I am not simply looking to disable the MDI Child's close button by overriding the Unload event.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
    -God Bless.

Re: Switch between two Frames during Run-Time, customized in Design Mode

A much simpler approach would be to use SSTabs. Just a thought.

True, and it seems SSTabs will partially help with my utlimate goal.

But I have a portion where one form directly leads to the next (in the case of a wizard): The first form requires files to be specified for loading, and then the second form is then populated based on the information present in the files.
    However, if this isn't possible, I could probably just incorporate all of the wizard into a single form, then have portions disabled until the correct information is provided. (This isn't the solution I am looking for, but it would work).

Thanks again!

EDIT: I wonder if it is possible to disable a whole entire tab (using SSTabs) then have a button at the bottom right of the first tab that increments the shown tab. (This would be an alternate solution).

EDIT: Okay, this is possible. However, out of curiosity, is the original desire possible?
    Last edited by Millerni456; Jan 28th, 2013 at 02:32 PM.

so... what's the problem? If you want to use multiple frames on a form... use multiple frames... you can stack them on top of each other (but not IN each other) and then use the .Visible property to hide/show each one. Or, you can throw them "off" form, and slide in each one when you need it. Or, you can use a tab control... and then at run time only show one tab at any time... or you could make each one a User Control, and them put them on a form and then hide/show those...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I suppose I should've mentioned that I wanted an easy time in design mode. That is... not having controls placed strangely in relation to other controls.

But anyways, I did try what you had suggested (stacking multiple frames) and this does work as I had hoped!

Thanks much to you both!
    -God Bless

Frenzied Member

I suggest that you should try multiple forms
    one calling the next
    design them the same size
    place the common fields in the same location in every form (logo pictures ,etc)
    so when the next form is showed it would look like as is the same form
    I'm sure that the wizards use this method (at least the pdw)
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

"I'm sure that the wizards use this method (at least the pdw)" -- you'd be surprised... because (mostly) they don't ... they either use the "show only one tab" at a time method... or, they use frames and move them "off" form and slide them into place when needed.

seriously.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Thanks for the information tg...
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...