Thread: how to get job in .net

how to get job in .net

i have knowledged in .net but no working experience i have 2 years exeperience in hardware side but i like in asp.net and vb.net how to shine and make innovation without working in company. how to shine in .net need help please..

Regards,
    Icmkarthi
    Last edited by gep13; Feb 18th, 2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Removed external link

Re: how to get job in .net

If you have no work experience with VB.NET specifically then you could create a working application to show prospective employers what you're capable off. The design and implementation of the application would be more important than what it actually does.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Not a programming specific question.....thread moved to Chit Chat

You could also Apply to the Nerdery. They are looking for ASP.Net Developers right now.
    Some Ponies just want to watch the cereal burn.

Lively Member

All good things come to he who waits.

Not when it comes to jobs. Those rarely come to those who wait. Perhaps they are not good things, but we do tend to want at least one. I think the plan to come up with a portfolio is a good one. I have no degrees in anything computer related, but now have a programming job. The reason was that I had a lot of experience and the folks hiring me knew that I had written plenty of apps that had been in use for years. I'm not sure that such an approach is available to just anybody, though, as I took ten years changing hats.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

So speaking of .Net... not really a Thread worthy question, but why would a SQL Command Execute without errors, but not write?

Sounds thread worthy to me.

It depends on the SQL query. Here are possible explanations:

1) Surrealistic:
    It wasn't an INSERT or UPATE query.

2) Semi-plausible:
    There was a WHERE clause that didn't match any record.

3) Also plausible:
    It did write, you are just looking at the database wrong, or are looking at the wrong database.

Your Semi Plausible was correct, because i didn't catch a Minor Typo.
    Code:
     Dim Line1Statement As String = "SELECT MAX(LineNumber) FROM ProductionLines WHERE ProductionLineKey = @ProductionLineKey"
     Dim Line1Command As New SqlCommand(Line1Statement, con)
     Line1Command.Parameters.Add("ProductionLineKey", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = Val(cboProductionLineKey.Text)
    And it is now
    Code:
     Dim Line1Statement As String = "SELECT MAX(LineNumber) FROM ProductionLines WHERE ProductionLineKey = @ProductionLineKey"
     Dim Line1Command As New SqlCommand(Line1Statement, con)
     Line1Command.Parameters.Add("@ProductionLineKey", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = Val(cboProductionLineKey.Text)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Sounds thread worthy to me.

It depends on the SQL query. Here are possible explanations:

1) Surrealistic:
    It wasn't an INSERT or UPATE query.

2) Semi-plausible:
    There was a WHERE clause that didn't match any record.

3) Also plausible:
    It did write, you are just looking at the database wrong, or are looking at the wrong database.
    Jamie Hyneman would be proud of your logical deductive skills, but would wonder where the explosion is at.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I had to look that one up. I had no idea who Jamie Hyneman was until I saw his picture. That's a pretty good show. On the few times a year when I am near a TV, if that show is on, I might watch it.

Look for online job sites and post your resume or portfolio. You can probably get some there.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I had no idea who Jamie Hyneman was until I saw his picture
    Ah yes, the walrus-faced purveyor of pseudo-science is a wonderfully curmudgeonly fellow. I must admit, when I watch mythbusters is mostly so I can oggle Carrie Byron. There's just something about a girl who likes blowing stuff up...

I always give the same advice to people who are hoping to find a job: Go and look for it. That doesn't mean putting your CV on a web site or signing on with a few agencies, it means actually picking up the phone and contacting some development shops. Jobs will rarely come looking for you but actually being pro-active about it tends to get peoples attention.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

In seriousness, one thing that I'd recommend is to...do something. If you are looking at a job programming, then create a program or programs. Develop a web site. If you are out of work (or, not working in the field you want), the longer you are out of work, the less likely you are to be hired. Employers want to hire someone who already has a job, preferably.

If you can demonstrate enthusiasm, achievement and progress it will appear that you haven't been 'not working'.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

If you can demonstrate enthusiasm, achievement and progress it will appear that you haven't been 'not working'.
    ^Wise words. At the junior level companies aren't really looking for experience, they're looking for aptitude and enthusiasm.

That said, employers will often eliminate candidates for a lack of experience but only because it's a really easy criteria to apply when you're wading through dozens of CVs. That's why it's so important to be proactive when you're starting out. If your CV is just one of many a potential employer is considering and you have no experience there's a good chance you'll be dismissed out of hand just because he wants to cut the numbers down the easiest way. But if you the one guy who actually phoned him up and was enthusiatic when he hadn't even advertised a position yet, well then he's not trying to eliminate and you're in a race with only one runner... you.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

At my first job, I was hired for data entry position, for shipping and receiving. 2 weeks after I was hired, I saw many problems that they had, and I could improve on with some simple applications.
    I developed at home a simple application to improve on one of problems they had. In like a week, I finished it, and installed it at work (of course I got my supervisor's permission). We tried it at work, and they were very pleased. I then made more apps for other problems they had (at home again), and they were very pleased... finally after I improved so many things and needed to work only half a day to accomplish what before took the whole day, they let me develop applications at work. So half day I was doing data entry (my original job), the other half, I was doing programming. I combined all the small applications into one big application with everything interconnected, and improved things even more.
    In a year, my salary increased from 10$ per hour (as a data entry), to 18$ per hour, my title changed to "programmer", and after 3 years there, I decided to get a real programming job, and I got it easily because I had experience, and really good references. Now I am in my 3'rd job, and I work for a big company as a programmer analyst.

I am not saying that you should do the same, but what I am saying, is: start small, and change jobs when you grow beyond what your job can offer you.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

That's a pretty good show. On the few times a year when I am near a TV, if that show is on, I might watch it.
    That's a ringing endorsement if there ever was one!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

That's a pretty good show. On the few times a year when I am near a TV, if that show is on, I might watch it.
    That's a ringing endorsement if there ever was one!

As opposed to your endorsement, which was so good it had to be said twice.

(I thought that duplicate thing was decreasing, but I guess not so much).