Thread: Ideas For NES Emulator Name

Ideas For NES Emulator Name

It was hell and tough but I've been working hard on an NES Emulator I've written in VB6, which works. Prior to writing it, I've become obsessed with the ins and outs of the original Nintendo and how it works. I've read many websites, researched everything on the 6502 CPU, the PPU, the APU, mappers, you name it. I even downloaded the source code to many NES emulators in multiple programming languages, such as C#, javascript, java, C++, and even VB6. However the first emulator I downloaded for VB6 was called bNES. It was interesting to say the least that VB6 was even capable of pulling it off, but after reading the source code, I saw it to be horribly written. I mean horrible. For starters, the 6502 code was obviosuly ripped from Zophars Domain where you can get free VB6 modules of the 6502. Those modules seem like it would emulate the 6502, and it does, but whoever wrote it read the wrong documents and kinda blended the 65c02 with the 6502, using more Opcodes than the NES even does, and used 2 extra address modes. Not to mention the cycles were wrong on a bunch of the Opcodes. Another big thing that bothered me was the fact that the NES sounds and music were being outputed using MIDI APIs. Seriously! Who in the right mind would do that? Why not use actual sound? And the controls were god awful. Another NES emulator I found in VB6 was called YoshiNES. The code was exactly like bNES, but seriously improved and tons more features added, such as a hex editor, movie recorder, save states, controls improved, and so on and so forth. A team of people turns out helped put this thing together. The menu on the other hand was in Portuguese, the music and sound was still in MIDI and the 6502 once again, the same? Really?

So after doing many comparisons with many emulators' source code, I've been building my own. Some of the source code I admit was taken from YoshiNES to serve as a basis, or in other words a stencil, but the crap factor is being completely cleansed from it. For starters the entire 6502 module was completely rewritten. Theres just the 56 Opcodes rather than the 60 some odd ones it has, and 13 address modes instead of 15. Almost all the variables were completely renamed. The status register actually has the 7 statuses rather than cryptic hex codes to make the code readable (Sign, Overflow, Carry, Zero, Interrupt, Decimal, Break). Note that every other emulator I've seen had these SRs and not the unreadable hexadecimals. Many of the Opcodes I fixed and improved individually. I still need to change the sound engine entirely as its still in all MIDI. And instead of the just the program using Stretchblt, I'm going to be using DirectX as well, so you get your choice of hardware as well as software. A lot of the code as a whole has been completely rewritten, I've heavily commented it based off the research I've done, and made it more readable and understandable. As I continue working on it, it's gonna get to the point to where once this beast is finished I wanna give it a name. Something that is catchy. Or funny. Something cleaver. I've brainstormed all day but haven't come up with a name of an NES emulator that doesn't sound stupid. Any bright ideas?

Re: Ideas For NES Emulator Name

A few suggestions:-

VBNes

Obvious how I came up with that.

Nes Millennium

You can play around with this one a bit. You can call it the Millennium NES emulator or Mellennium for short. The idea being that this was written after 2000. It stresses the idea that it's a modern emulator not that it would mean much since the NES itself is unchanged.

NTNes

Not particularly clever, the idea being it can run on NT based Windows OSes like XP and Win7.

Wintendo

Windows + Nintendo

Phoenix(My favorite of these 5)

You can play with this one too. Nes Phoenix or Phoenix emulator. This idea is inspired from the story of the phoenix rising from the ashes. All NES emulators I've used were the popular ones developed in the late 90s. I'm surprised that people are still making them today. That's how I got the idea for this name. Its also superbly suitable for some kind of fire bird logo to go with it.

Well I'm outta suggestions for now. GL
    Last edited by Niya; Jan 28th, 2013 at 05:13 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The Phoenix Emulator!!!
    Name:  PhoeniX_by_PhoeniXeuhouai.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  70.9 KB

Note: That image is not mine....found it on Deviant Art.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

NESquick

w/o putting too much thought in to it...

NESsy (ala Loch Ness)
    E.NES (ala Elliot Ness)
    NES-E (again with the Loch Ness theme, where the E is emulator)

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

In Greek mythology, Nessus was a centaur. So to skirt infringement maybe "Centaur" or something similar?

Of course to be legal you can only play non-commercial games. Last I heard nothing else has been legal to copy (and thus run).

Do I smell a scurvy eyepatch and parrot?

Quote Originally Posted by penagate View Post
    NESquick
    goodone....except it wasn't quick o.o

Yeah, I'd think that some play on Loch NES would be better. After all, the project could turn into the Loch NES monster. So, you might go with something like LuckNES or LockNES. Alternatively, you could call it Egg. Therefore, you'd have a NES'd Egg.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Phoenix sounds good. But maybe we can change the word a bit. Like PhoeNESx. Maybe shorten it to make it more easier. Like pNES.

Oh wait.

PhoeNESx sounds good....I could already see the a logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Maybe shorten it to make it more easier. Like pNES.

Oh wait.
    lol

NESquick
    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    w/o putting too much thought in to it...
    NESsy (ala Loch Ness)
    Clever....

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

HappyNes

or come to think of it, in deference to your old avatar: NappyNes

edit> Or you could deliberately leaves loads of bugs in it and call it HopelessNes

You can put Nes on the end of just about any adjective to turn it into a noun.

How abut RomanNes?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Nah RomaNes sounds too Greek. But keep em coming! I've made loads of improvements so far, but still have to work out the bugs. I've noticed in games such as Double Dragon, one of the sprites head is removed and hanging out on the left of the screen. Probably a value off somewhere over where it renders the sprites, but I'll figure it out. I always do. :P

I was actually thinking of also giving the project itself a code name. Hell all the other big companies do it. Windows Longhorn ended up being Vista, Nintendos Dolphin ended up being GameCube. My project on the other hand.....hmmmm

Can your emulator run Street Fighter Alpha 2. I remember that being one of the most troublesome games to run on an emulator due to the fact that it uses some special instructions or needs a special chip or something. Can't remember exactly as its been like a decade since I've played emulated console games.

Thats SNES not NES. Were talking the good ol 8 bit Nintendo here.

Oh how silly of me. I forgot there were two types. I never bothered with 8 bit consoles. I've always considered the SNES to be the original Nintendo console and 8 bit systems as tragic predecessors lol.

Actually historically the original 8 bit NES is what got the video game market out of the video game crash, in which that crash happened back in 1983 due to failures such as E.T. for the Atari 2600, and too many consoles to choose from that overwelmed the consumer market. The NES originally came with R.O.B. The Robot, and had better graphics and games than any other console at the time. What also helped bail out the crash was the creation of Super Mario Bros. This console was so popular back in the 80s that practically every kid around had one, as well as adults, and lasted longer than any console in history even to this day from 1985-1995. Great games such as Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Life Force, Castlevania, Megaman 1 through 6, Double Dragon, and other great titles, increased the popularity of the Nintendo even more, and helped boost sales. When the Sega Genesis came out in 1990, one of the first 16 bit consoles next to the Turbographx-16, its competition with the 8 bit Nintendo led a trend called the bit wars. Even though the Genesis had better graphics and some great titles, the Nintendo was still more popular and shows that sometimes graphics arent everything. Its about the gameplay and the fun factor.

Just for the entertainment of people who read this, I will mention that last night was a rough night. I'm not sure quite what I ate at the superbowl party I was at, but it messed with my dreams in ways that I can't imagine. I had forgotten one particular dream until I saw this thread...again. At some point in one fragment of a dream, I was reading a sarcastic Top-10 list about why somebody (perhaps MS, or some other big company of that type) was going to write a NES emulator, and the #1 reason had to do with forcing Jacob Roman to give up on RomanNES (yeah, that was the name they used in the list from the dream) and find something else to do (the #2 reason was also related to JR). I vaguely remember being impressed that Jacob could have made such a visible presence with his NES emulator on various discussion boards that a major company was willing to reference him in their advertisments in a sarcastic way.

Whatever I ate (I blame the chicken, it had some funky coating on it), I really want to be avoiding that in the future. Heck, that little snippet wasn't even the weirdest dream I had, though it was the only one even vaguely programming related.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I blame the chicken, it had some funky coating on it
    I assure you I never went near it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Well heres my NES emulator as is so far. ---> NES Emulator

I really haven't given it a true name as of yet, but wouldn't mind a few testers if you prefer. I didn't upload it yet but mapper 1 has been added as well to support games such as Double Dragon, Castlevania 2: Simons Quest, and much much more.

NESquick
    Reminds me of the milk flavouring!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

So no volunteer testers for my emulator?

I updated it to support games such as double dragon and legend of zelda. The links in my signature if any of you wanna give it a whirl.

I'll give it a try when I get a lil time to fool around. I'm actually very curious about it.