Thread: Web Browser Questions

Web Browser Questions

New to VB and am working on several different projects to help familiarize myself with the program.
    One of them is a basic web browser - and I have some questions on this topic:

A) I noticed that you can right click on the toolbox in vb and add tools that arent currently shown.
    After snooping around on the various tabs, I noticed a couple of different web browsers (WebBrowser and MicrosoftWebBrowser).
    Can someone tell me what the difference between these two are?

B) I've noticed that after running my program, all of the settings/history/etc are duplicated in Internet Explorer.
    I assume this is because the WebBrowser or MicrosoftWebBrowser is just an iteration of IE?
    Is there any way to unlink them - blocking IE from receiving/storing this information?

C) Is there a way that I can ask the user to set this browser as the default browser, and have it make the required changes to the HKEY registry?

D) Once the web browser is installed on the users computer, and the program launches for the first time, I would like a 'settings' box to pop up - asking the user to make a few settings decisions.
    How would I create something like this - a window that only pops up the very first time you ever run the program, and stores the selected information from then on - never requiring the user to input it again...?

Re: Web Browser Questions

a) The latter is the old ActiveX Browser. It still works but it's less coder friendly and somewhat outdated.

b) Yup. The WebBrowser control is simply a wrapper which interfaces with IE. Not aware of any way to block communication between them which would allow you to continue browsing.

c) Nope, as technically it doesn't really exist except when you're running a VB.Net program and only then as a portal for IE.

d) Use My.Settings (go to application properties to set up the defaults). A first run flag could be included in the settings, default false and set to true on first completion of the settings.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!