Thread: Disabling Button Focus

Disabling Button Focus

So, I'm running into an issue, which I believe has to do with button focus.

Lets say you have a search bar in your program where the user could search for files.
    You set AcceptButton to the associated button for enabling the search field.

In my program, once the enter button is pressed and the search is performed, that search button remains highlighted.

I have several search fields like this, all of which I've set the AcceptButton on - for ease of use.

Honestly, I just think its visually annoying to have these random buttons highlighted after being pressed.

I've tried setting the focus to other objects (adding that code below the various search button codes).
    Unfortunately, that didnt work as I had hoped - it disabled the user for being able to type anything into the search fields.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time!

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Re: Disabling Button Focus

Have you tried setting focus to another control via ActiveControl = SomeControl ?

Kevin - I appreciate your input - unfortunately, that didnt work.

Ideally, once a search button is pressed, I'd like to focus on the window that displays all of the search results.
    I've tried:

Code:
    ActiveControl = SearchWindow
    So will this only work if I select another control for the focus - ie, one of the other buttons?

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Guess I misunderstood you, I was thinking you wanted to set focus to a control and not a window.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    Guess I misunderstood you, I was thinking you wanted to set focus to a control and not a window.
    Are these 'windows' forms? If so just bring the search form to the front and select the appropriate control.
    Last edited by dbasnett; Jan 26th, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

PowerPoster

Well if you are using default controls and no custom code for highlighting then it should be as simple as

Control.Focus

That said you have not given us much to go on, we don;t even know what kind of app you are talking about here