Thread: Recursive file search fails when reaching access denied folder

Recursive file search fails when reaching access denied folder

I'm trying to retrieve a list of files from a specific folder, which has plenty of sub folder and files. The problem is that some of this folders, cannot be accessed due to access denied.

This is my first solution to search for the files:

Code:
    public void GetFiles(string dir)
            {
                foreach (string d in Directory.GetDirectories(dir))
                {
                    foreach (string f in Directory.GetFiles(d))
                    {
                        //do something with the file
                    }
                    GetFiles(d);
                }
            }
    Using this I got an exception unhandled, I had to add a Try...Catch statement:

Code:
    public void GetFiles(string dir)
            {
                try
                {
                    foreach (string d in Directory.GetDirectories(dir))
                    {
                        foreach (string f in Directory.GetFiles(d))
                        {
                            //do something with the file
                        }
                        GetFiles(d);
                    }
                }   
                catch (Exception)
                {

}
            }
    The problem with this is that as soon as I reach a access denied folder I will get into the catch and the recursive search will stop. I figured the best way to build this method is to check whether the folder is able to be read or not.

There is any way to check to see if the folder can be read? Also, if someone has a better solution for my problem it would be nice to check what you got in mind.

Re: Recursive file search fails when reaching access denied folder

You could put the exception handler within the loop instead of wrapping the whole loop with it.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Understand that when an exception is caught, that effectively breaks you out of the loop stopping any iteration you were doing through the filesystem.
    <<<------------
    Improving Managed Code Performance | .NET Application Performance
    < Please if this helped you out. Any kind of thanks is gladly appreciated >

.NET Programming (2012 - 2018)
    ®Crestron - DMC-T Certified Programmer | Software Developer
    <<<------------

No....you wrap it in the inner loop so it skips folders it can't read.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    No....you wrap it in the inner loop so it skips folders it can't read.
    I'm letting him know why it stops the iteration... It's basically like a jmp instruction out of the scope of the iteration from the loop.
    <<<------------
    Improving Managed Code Performance | .NET Application Performance
    < Please if this helped you out. Any kind of thanks is gladly appreciated >

.NET Programming (2012 - 2018)
    ®Crestron - DMC-T Certified Programmer | Software Developer
    <<<------------

Oh forgive me. Didn't realize you were addressing the OP.