Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save VB6, PLEASE VOTE FOR VB6

Hyperactive Member

Save VB6, PLEASE VOTE FOR VB6

Please follow this link, MS is reviewing an option to continue support for VB6 development, we 12,000 votes Please HELP!!

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/fo...improved-versi

Re: Save VB6, PLEASE VOTE FOR VB6

Done!

Done!

Frenzied Member

Done (with 3 votes ? ?)
    Rob

PS This is being run by Visual Studio Mag, which I gave up subscribing to, when they abandoned VB6.
    But the much bigger abandonment was by MS who purged samples(etc) from their web site, and treated VB6 programmers like lepers.
    Support (for runtimes) was only reluctantly maintained by MS in their OS's after XP, because millions of VB6 programs are out there, and the backlash would have stopped the Earth from rotating.

Visual Studio mag says they are doing this on behalf of MS.
    I find that hard to believe, as MS could care less.
    Last edited by Bobbles; Jan 25th, 2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Decided to have a say

PowerPoster

Well these sorts of campaigns have come and gone in the past, but it probably doesn't hurt to be hopeful and vote them up.

What I'd prefer to see is a series of gradual updates (VB7, highly compatible with VB6; VB8, more adventurous enhancements; etc.) but we'd be lucky to see even one.

What I fear we'll get from Microsoft (if anything) is a sort of stripped-down language based on VB.Net only usable for Metro applet programming. After all, most of them are convinced due to all of the FUD out there that people stick with VB6 because VB.Net is "hard."

PowerPoster

I stick with VB for several reasons not that VB.Net is to hard, in many cases it is actually easier once you get the hang of it. Vb6 loads much faster, builds native code programs that are hard if not impossible to get the source from and works very well for what I use it for.

You're not going to see a VB7 or 8 because those have already been released several years ago under the name VB.Net VB2003 is VB7 2005 is VB8

PowerPoster

Well I voted but I dont understand why it said I have n votes left so I voted again then it said I have nn votes left so I voted again and then it said I had nn votes left so I voted again and it said I had nnn votes left and this went on and on and on

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

The way it works is that it lets you have 10 votes total. You can spend up to 3 votes on an item the others you could spend on a different item.

Why don't ya'll just call Bill and TELL him?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. :-). Don't yell at me...just playin' (and I am fighting the flu right now for the SECOND time in as many months.)

Voted(x3)... would love to see them bring back support for VB6 and possibly an upgrade or two (while maintaining the classic VB foundation)

Hyperactive Member

Thumbs down Re: Save VB6, PLEASE VOTE FOR VB6

Thanks to all that have voted, lets keep spreading the word. I think MS lives in a sheltered world and does not really know the scope of the support vb6 stil has. Although you would think they could run statistics on searches for VB6 code and that alone would shock them into udating vb6.

Thanks to all, I am actually running facebook ads out of my pocket to help promote this.

Lively Member

This vote is still live.
    Please go to:

and vote !!!

Oh look! It's yet ANOTHER one...
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...r-part-for-VB6!!

Also, shouldn't this be in the Gen Dev area? It's VB6 related to be sure... but it's arguably NOT a programming problem with VB6.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Oh look! It's yet ANOTHER one...
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...r-part-for-VB6!!

Also, shouldn't this be in the Gen Dev area? It's VB6 related to be sure... but it's arguably NOT a programming problem with VB6.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

And do you REALLY think Bill cares????

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    Thanks to all that have voted, lets keep spreading the word. I think MS lives in a sheltered world and does not really know the scope of the support vb6 stil has. Although you would think they could run statistics on searches for VB6 code and that alone would shock them into udating vb6.

Thanks to all, I am actually running facebook ads out of my pocket to help promote this.
    I'm sure there are still people using VB3 as well but that doesn't mean they need to make an updated version of VB3.

They need to keep moving forward rather than going backward 15 years which is an eternity in the PC world.

We that use VB6 should consider ourselves lucky that it still is able to build a working program on the newer OSs. It could have died after XP but they have kept it working for us so far.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Aug 11th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I'm sure there are still people using VB3 as well but that doesn't mean they need to make an updated version of VB3.
    Umm.... like VB4, then VB5, then VB6?

I think you've missed the point.

PowerPoster

I don't think so.

VB4 for example would not run on the machines that VB3 was used on. I used OS/2 until VB4 was released but was forced to switch to Windows 95 in order to develop apps under VB4 and later. 3 is the newest version that still works under OS/2, Windows 3.1

There were quite a lot of changes also from 3 to 6. no more VBX controls, the move to ADO, 32 bit and so on.

The point is that while VB6 is a good tool it is outdated by many years and there is 0 chance they are going to issue an updated version just like there is 0 chance they are going to go back to VBX controls or DAO and RDO systems. They are not going to re release a updated version of Windows 3.1 or anything else that has been off the plate for over a decade.

To think that a few hundred or a few thousand signatures would change this is foolish.

Microsoft clearly made a decision on the route VB was going to take a decade ago and have stayed with that decision.

That is just the way it is

Well, VB6 is fine for hobbyists but Microsoft should really create a version of VB.NET that can still take the old code....Oh wait they have VB.NET 2002 until (I think) VB 2008.

For those who don't get the above highlight the whole line.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Fine for hobbyists?

Man we have 100+ applications that used to use mdb but now sql server and we just simply updated our code adding bar code scanners with it. Have 20+ machines running a vb app with touchscreen and all. Not real high speed only 500 rpm but vb works flawless on it after we worked out the bugs. Those are communicating with PLCs and multi axis servo's and stuff and it is simple to keep and maintain. Even our high voltage tester runs a vb app.

I'm not even a programmer but an electronic Tech that knew VB programming and took things over when we lost a couple engineer was over those things. No pay raise or nothing but was a gravy train then since it was all I done mainly for awhile. But I like VB and really worked hard improving things.

Fact is big corporations are cheap and they want things to run and at little cost. Not gonna pay any big money to higher level programmers when they can get things that work for cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by maxXPsoft View Post
    Fine for hobbyists?
    Now that .Net is here.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Now that .Net is here.
    There are some of us that do not worship and bow to 'OO everywhere'
    And just like to keep things simple.

Rob

PowerPoster

Ignore it.

Moderation here seems to allow .Net trolling in VB threads, but don't try the reverse!

Banned

Lively Member

The vote for an updated version of VB6 has now reached 3,700 votes.

It is now seventh in the list of top ideas in Microsoft's VisualStudio user voice site.

Vote for VB6 at

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sten2005 View Post
    The vote for an updated version of VB6 has now reached 3,700 votes.

It is now seventh in the list of top ideas in Microsoft's VisualStudio user voice site.

Vote for VB6 at

I did that and I support VB6!

Done
    Please Keep it up

Banned

The vote for an updated version of VB6 has now reached 3,850 votes.

Vote for VB6 at

done! we love vb

Just 3896! come on!!! we need more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VbSinan View Post
    Just 3896! come on!!! we need more

Only a month ago there were 1800 votes, it gathered other 2200 votes pretty quickly

We also gotta send emails to Microsoft ! in all directions!

Vote Vote Vote ! Comment, write articles on blogs and defend VB6 !

PS: I have to admit, we're pretty united for VB6 !

Lively Member

Now over 4000 votes

OK...I voted to keep it. I might as just as well voted to ban automobiles from downtown. Ain't happening.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    OK...I voted to keep it. I might as just as well voted to ban automobiles from downtown. Ain't happening.
    Thank you TysonLPrice,

Best regards,

Fatina

Done mate!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mleo1 View Post
    Done mate!
    Thank you mleo1

Hyperactive Member

for those who say vb6 is bad because it does not implement pure OOP

http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/...d-programming/

virtually useless object oriented programing check out the slides and audio recording

http://www.meetup.com/VanDev/events/16863266/

Banned

I am disgusted by the banning of Megan Winter's account on social.msdn.microsoft.com. She came with valid points for Visual Basic 6.0, too valid! And what the administrator/power user does on a MICROSOFT site?! He (the power user) erased all 60-70 valid comments (on "Bring back Visual Basic 6.0 ! We all need it." issue) and banned the acount due to his inability to cope with the conversation! This guy is a disgrace for Microsoft! The admin that banned a perfect valid user like Megan Winter should not have access to that site ! The name of this power user is Cor Ligthert. Please comment there: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=vbgeneral

Folks, what happened to Megan Winter is NOT ok !
    Last edited by Fatina; Feb 27th, 2014 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatina View Post
    I am disgusted by the banning of Megan Winter's account on social.msdn.microsoft.com. She came with valid points for Visual Basic 6.0, too valid! And what the administrator/power user does on a MICROSOFT site?! He (the power user) erased all 60-70 valid comments (on "Bring back Visual Basic 6.0 ! We all need it." issue) and banned the acount due to his inability to cope with the conversation! This guy is a disgrace for Microsoft! The admin that banned a perfect valid user like Megan Winter should not have access to that site ! The name of this power user is Cor Ligthert. Please comment there: http://<b>http://social.msdn.microso...=vbgeneral</b>

Folks, what happened to Megan Winter is NOT ok !
    Apparently that account was banned because they were spamming other threads. They would have been warned about doing so and told that they would be banned if they didn't stop. I've seen plenty of members banned on this site who have provided useful and relevant information at times too. Doing something right doesn't make it OK to do something wrong.

By the way, you might want to try fixing your link.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Apparently that account was banned because they were spamming other threads. They would have been warned about doing so and told that they would be banned if they didn't stop. I've seen plenty of members banned on this site who have provided useful and relevant information at times too. Doing something right doesn't make it OK to do something wrong.

By the way, you might want to try fixing your link.
    NOT TRUE ! I saw Megan's comments ! they were competent answers to questions about Visual Basic 6.0 ! really this is the idea of the site, to help users!

It was a malicious move from Cor Ligthert (the power user). A Microsoft site must NOT be treated/managed like that.

PS: thanks, this is the link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=vbgeneral
    Last edited by Fatina; Feb 28th, 2014 at 12:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast