Thread: Database Security - Which Database to use?

Addicted Member

Question Database Security - Which Database to use?

Currently my .net Desktop app uses an access database which i know has little security.

I need to secure the data so am looking for suggestions on the type of database to use.

I've tried SQlite with encryption, however during runtime the database is decrypted so can be opened whilst the app is running or should the app crash the database is left decrypted.

Can anyone recommend which database to use that will offer a good security option (ideally an encrypted database which the app can read/write but doesnt decrypt the database in a seperate file)

Thanks

Re: Database Security - Which Database to use?

How smart are your attackers?

Ultimately, your data will be on their systems, whether it is encrypted or not. How difficult would it be for the user to hack your program to make use of your own code to read the DB?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

Shaggy, what database would you personally use if you were selling a desktop program?

Quote Originally Posted by experience View Post
    Shaggy, what database would you personally use if you were selling a desktop program?
    I would think that would depend on what you were doing with the program, example using it to store data on the internet or just on the local machine. If it were on the internet I would use SQL and if it were local I would probably go Access.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I usually roll with SQL Server Express or SQL Server Compact Edition (SQL CE).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Database needs to be stored on the local machine, which rules out SQL server express & CE.

Local databases that i know of:
    Access (Free-little security)
    Sqlite (Free-Moderate security)
    Oracle Express (Free-security ?)
    IBM DB2 (Expensive-good security)
    Others.....?

So if you had an application that made you $40,000 per year, what database would you use taking into account security.

I could possibly look into an online database, would this be practical/fast when 50 rows of data are pulled at once (currently takes a split second)?

Addicted Member

Database needs to be stored on the local machine, which rules out SQL server express & CE.

Others.....?

So if you had an application that made you $40,000 per year, what database would you use taking into account security.

I could possibly look into an online database, would this be practical/fast when 50 rows of data are pulled at once (currently takes a split second)?

Quote Originally Posted by experience View Post

Others.....?

What? I use SQL Server Express and CE all the time locally.... actually, that the ONLY way to use CE ... locally... And while SQL Express can act as a server, it was intended as a local datasource (as evidenced by the default setting of not accepting connections from remote machines)...

So I dismiss your dismissal... especially since you then went on to include Oracle Express... also, you missed MySQL as an option.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

So i could use SQL SE & CE without having to install any sql software on the client PC?

I use MySQL on my own PC for my localhost testing, again could that be used on a client pc without having to install MySQL?

Addicted Member

After doing a bit of reading i see the SQL CE can be deployed with the reference dll's included, so sql server doesnt need to be installed on the client PC