Thread: Have a listbox randomly pick to remove either the odd numbers or the even numbers

PowerPoster

Have a listbox randomly pick to remove either the odd numbers or the even numbers

Hi there folks. I got this math game to help show students the difference between odd numbers and even numbers between 1-25, but I was wondering if there was a way for vb6 to remove either all the odd numbers, or all the even numbers from a list box called numlist.
    But the trick is I would like the program to do it randomly, choose either even or odds.

Now I can have the listbox remove them by going

numlist.removeitem - the position of the number, as they are all in order from 1-25., but I'm stuck on trying to get it to pick at random either odds or evens. Has anyone ever done something like that before?

THanks!

PowerPoster

Re: Have a listbox randomly pick to remove either the odd numbers or the even numbers

Of course. The key is to remove them in reverse order

You could do a loop high to low with a step of -2

Generate a random number from 0 to 1

If you want to remove the even numbers then your loop may be
    For x = 24 to 0 Step -2

For odd it may be
    For x=25 to 1 Step -2

in the loop you would remove the item at position x

Both assume that 0 is included in the list.

Re: Have a listbox randomly pick to remove either the odd numbers or the even numbers

You realize, of course, that if the computer determines at random whether the numbers being removed are going to be odd or even, it could remove nothing but odd numbers for many executions in succession and you would never see evens removed and vice versa. The odds are slim that you would get more than 5 or 6 odd or even list removals in a row, but it could happen. Ask any gambler playing roulette.

I suggest that you have two command buttons--one for odd number removal and the other for even number removal. Add a third for "Odd/Even at Random". BTW, if there are always the numbers 1 through 25, then the same set will be removed (either odd or even) every time. So, the excerise seems trivial to me, unless you want to also show a second list revealing the order in which they were removed and remove them on a random selection basis.
    Doctor Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Code Doc View Post
    You realize, of course, that if the computer determines at random whether the numbers being removed are going to be odd or even, it could remove nothing but odd numbers for many executions in succession and you would never see evens removed and vice versa.
    Also, the original poster would need to check whether or not a number has already been removed so the program doesn't crash.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Also, the original poster would need to check whether or not a number has already been removed so the program doesn't crash.
    I'm not even sure that OP has the problem defined correctly or knows exactly what he wants to display. The random sequence of removal would vary but the eventual removed set of either all the odds or all the evens is always going to be identical.
    Odds: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25
    Evens: 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24
    Doctor Ed

Will this work for you?

Code:
    Private Sub cmdRemove_Click()
        Dim i As Integer

With numlist
            If .ListCount Then
                i = Int(.ListCount * Rnd)
                Caption = "Removed = " & .List(i)
               .RemoveItem i
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To 25
            numlist.AddItem i
        Next
        Randomize
    End Sub
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Not really, as I mentioned in my post the key is reverse order removal high to low
    The number will be the same as the list inxed so you would simply remove the highest number first and work down to the first. There is no chance of hitting the same number twice nor crashing the program using this method which would be fast and simple.

I also am not sure what the point would be but the task is simple.