Thread: How to install Visual Studio 6 in Windows 8 ?

How to install Visual Studio 6 in Windows 8 ?

I can´t install the visual studio 6 in windows 8.

I proceed that install program suggests, but it hang up whent the messages "Setup is searching for installed components" and does not happen any more.

Is there any configuration setup that I shoud be change ? Where ? How ?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jose Carlos Warpechowski

PowerPoster

Re: How to install Visual Studio 6 in Windows 8 ?

I'm not sure you can install Visual Studio under Windows 8 or even under Windows 7 for that matter.

Visual Basic will install but there are a few issues. I created a thread on this a while back that outlines the problems and solutions.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...s-8&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by jwarpe View Post

I proceed that install program suggests, but it hang up whent the messages "Setup is searching for installed components" and does not happen any more.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jose Carlos Warpechowski

Quote Originally Posted by Ask the FortyPoundHead
    One final tweak

Back in Windows Explorer, browse to the path that you install VB6 to. If you stuck to the defaults, the path should be:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98
    Right-click the VB6.EXE program, select properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. At the bottom of the window, click the Change settings for all users button.

Put a tick mark in the check box, and make sure the Windows XP (service pack 3) option is selected in the drop down. You'll also want to put a check mark in the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings and the Run this program as an administrator check boxes, towards the bottom of the window.

Finally click Apply, then Ok, then Ok again.

Now, you can go ahead and close you miscellaneous Explorer windows, and head back to your Start tiles. In that list, you should see a Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 icon in the list.
    Install VB6 on Windows 8
    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I'm not sure you can install Visual Studio under Windows 8 or even under Windows 7 for that matter.

Visual Basic will install but there are a few issues. I created a thread on this a while back that outlines the problems and solutions.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...s-8&highlight=
    You can on both Win7 & 8, but there should be very little reason to.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

PowerPoster

So what would be the trick to installing VS on Windows 7. When I tried it I got a message about the program having known issues and the Setup Menu would not load at all. I think it was related to the Java WM or something like that but I was unable to get the setup to do anything when using the VS pro disks.

The VB Pro disks worked without issue, just had to run as administrator.

btw when installing on Windows 8 I could see no difference when using compatibility mode and do not think it is needed. I know when I finally got it to work I did not use compatibility mode. The tricky part was getting the correct reg entries to allow the installation of SP6

gibra

You can use my VS6 Installer.

See link and video on my sign.

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post

Hello Gibra,
    I spent the whole day trying semrpe but I have the same problem.

When VSinstaller passes the command to the V Studio 6, the problem recur, the same thing happens when I use installer without your program.

Visual Studio does not write to the Windows registry and the installation can not install SP6.
    In VS installer it asks vb6sp3.exe a file that does not exist.

Result: The 1.4 version is not had a positive effect. Not got the 1.3, or she did not hesitate more .. do not know ..

Let contiuar trying

The alternative would be to register at W8, "manually" then he would accept the sp6 Direct smoothly.

I have scored all executables, properties, compatibility tab, the option paras XP SP3 and run as administrator also but the result is always the same.

Have a machine PRO windows 8 and another Windows 8 and both results are the same.

I appreciate any help!

PowerPoster

Have you read through the thread I linked? The methods described there will work to install VB6 have not tried VS6 under windows 8/ When I had issues with VS under windows 7 I just got a copy of VB6 Enterprise and used that instead.

I have the same problem on my Windows 8 64bit it installs no problem it when it finalises settings it just locks up you have to End Task it in Task Manager.

I made a comment in the other thread on here. [RESOLVED] VB6 and Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post

This app seems pretty good but to download VS6 Installer 1.5 you have to join that Italian forum which I don't speak or read. Do you have an external link?

Googling Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows 8 64bit shows a load of sites that talk about this and there are video's on YouTube but they don't speak English.

Visual studio 6.0 (or VB 6.0) In Widows 8 64-bit

This brings me back to Bill Gate's original quote "applications will be compatible with all versions of Windows" that more Microsoft
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

PowerPoster

Yes it did hang on me as well and did not create the shortcuts nor could I install SP6 but following what was posted in that other thread and creating the registry entries allowed SP6 to install without error and everything seems to work though I really have not played with it much after installing.

Personally I am not to crazy about Windows 8 at this point and am still using XP and 7

Well I read the tips on the sites and the main one was where you select what you want to install untick Data Access as thats the main thing that locks it up.

You stop the CD autorunning hold the Shift key down when you shut the CD draw. Explorer the CD and find Setup.exe. Right click on it and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab tick Windows XP (SP3) then click Apply.

You can right click on Setup.exe and Run As Administrator then double click Setup.exe. Now because I tried to install VB6 a few times it said setup.ini was missing from Users\AppData\Local\Temp so I had to copy it of the CD to that folder. Then I ran vbwiz.exe and it said Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup\vb96pro.stf was missing so I copied that from the CD. Then it was looking for the CD so I hit Browse and the CD that was inserted. It want through the installation process. I clicked Select All then unticked Data Access. It read and installed all files of the CD. Then it came to finalises settings where it locked up before. I waited 30 seconds then the message to Restart Windows came up.

It Restarted then it asks you to install MSDN so I cancelled for the moment. I inserted MSDN CD1 and held the Shift key. I opened the CD and did the same with Setup.exe. Right click on it and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab tick Windows XP (SP3) then click Apply. You can right click on Setup.exe and Run As Administrator then double click Setup.exe. I selected Custom Install becasue I only want VB6 and the sample files. It installed then asked for CD2 and installed those files job done.

Previously when I tried to install MSDN it said it wasn't compatible with this system so the Compatibility tab tick Windows XP (SP3) must work.

I extracted all files from Vs6sp6vb.exe and did the same with setupsp6.exe Compatibility tab tick Windows XP (SP3) and Run As Administrator and SP6 installed ok.

I ran VB an it shows Service Pack 6 on startup. I clicked F1 for help and the MSDN help showed.

I tried Componets to add Comctl32.ocx but it wouldn't as it couldn't find something in the registry. I opened an app that uses Comctl32.ocx and that show on the Toolbox and in Components I also use ieframe.dll the Web Browser that was just a picturebox so I added that from Components. I ran the app and it works perfectly.

So you can install VB6 on Windows 8 64bit with a bit of fiddling.
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

PowerPoster

In the Compatibility tab tick Windows XP (SP3) then click Apply.
    I have saw that suggested in a few places but in my testing it made no difference whatsoever. same result with or without this selected.

Unfortunately, I only have the alpha of Windows 8 and I'm unsure what would have changed between now and then to make Windows 8 work! I remember someone on here (forget who) posted a thread in the "General Developer" section, I think the first post had the old start up screen in it.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

I was using the retail version of Windows 8 Professional but before it was available to the general public.
    I was able to download it as part of my MSDN subscription about a month before it went on sale, I think I also received the Windows 8 DVD before you could buy it at the store.

I had already decided that I did not like it before most people had a chance to see it

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I have saw that suggested in a few places but in my testing it made no difference whatsoever. same result with or without this selected.
    Well the main thing as I've said is untick Data Access as thats the main thing that locks it up
    Keith

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jose Carlos Warpechowski

I have on several occasions Installed VB6 in Windows 8x86 and Windows 8x64. You can use several methods to do this install.

copy the CD to c:\vb Run setup as administrator Win XP-SP3, deselect the data Access or the system will lock up on Windows 8x64.
    But for this scenario always deselect data access. after install is complete. copy only the missing files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio from a system that is working.

Then do a VB6 Repair install this will connect/repair the missing Data Access and lastly install VB6 SP2 Cumulative.msi to your VB

Have Also Compiled small C++ programs like EZTW32. Not a lot of C++ testing though but has not crashed.

This is what I did to get VB 6 Studio to Work in all my Os's Vista, Win7x86 & x64 Win8x86 & x64 It also works in Win 10 X86 & x64 versions 9986 -10074