Thread: help with logins on website

help with logins on website

i am new to web development, but have done a little, mainly in class. i am having a problem with the login and registration pages on a website. i am using visual basic 2010 and an asp.net empty website. i have the site working pretty good, except for the registration page and the login page. i do remember from class that i did a basic webpage with login and registration which would also email you a new password. this was using the asp.net website template, not the empty website. it looks like i have to use scipts in order to do this, i was trying to stay away from scripts for two reasons: 1) i don't know a lot about them and 2) to improve accessibility. the thing i am leaning toward is when a user logs in, it redirects to a copy of the home page with more info, as i cannot get the anonymous and logged in view to work. it's a little more work, but that's ok. the real problem is the registration page i'm using has a .ascx extension and the error i'm getting is this page is not served, check the file extension. the only way to get the registration wizard in there is by using that page. i'm pretty sure that i need to use the scripts that come with the asp.net webpage template, but not sure how to point to it(there are three pages of scripts). i tried moving the completed pages into the template with everything set up, but can't get the login pages to handle the formatting. the code i have on the login box is:
    <div class="loginDisplay">
    <asp:LoginView ID="HeadLoginView" runat="server" EnableViewState="false">
    <AnonymousTemplate>
    [ <a href="~/Account/Login.aspx" ID="HeadLoginStatus" runat="server">Log In</a> ]
    </AnonymousTemplate>
    <LoggedInTemplate>
    Welcome <span class="bold"><asp:LoginName ID="HeadLoginName" runat="server" /></span>!
    [ <asp:LoginStatus ID="HeadLoginStatus" runat="server" LogoutAction="Redirect" LogoutText="Log Out" LogoutPageUrl="~/"/> ]
    </LoggedInTemplate>
    </asp:LoginView>
    </div>
    when i go to design view and switch to logged in view and add items, they are visible on the anonymous view as well. any assistance would be great, thanx.

King of sapila

Re: help with logins on website

No script necessary.I am searching for a post we talked about that, i would post it if i can find it.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

King of sapila

thanx for the info, i think i got it from here. i did it in class, but didn't really understand it all that well, so i forgot after a year.
    eta: the video from the link was just what i needed. about a minute in when he hit the configuration button, it all came back to me. just what i needed to get the different levels of access and everything. maybe i can get this site up and get paid by the weekend now. thanx a bunch!
    Last edited by sfzombie13; Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add content

King of sapila

No problem.