Thread: [RESOLVED] How do you sort a column in a DataGridView control that contains DBNull values?

Resolved [RESOLVED] How do you sort a column in a DataGridView control that contains DBNull values?

I am trying to sort a DataGridView control by a column that contains DBNull values. This DataGridView control is bound to an SQL Server 2012 Database.

When I click the headercell (to sort in ascending order), the DBNull values are sorted ahead of the rest of the integer values, so that the top rows in the column are all blank, and then after that the integer values 1,2,3 etc are in ascending order. (DBNull, DBNull, 1, 2, 3)

How do I get around this? I would rather the DataGridView control sort the rows with values at the top, followed by the DBNulls. (1, 2, 3, DBNull, DBNull)

I have tried to insert a higher value into the blank cells, which then sorts them correctly, but when I return those values back to System.DBNull.value, the sort order reverts back to the way above.

My code is as follows:

Code:
    If dgv.Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name.EndsWith("Position") Then
        intSortingRunningPosition = 1000
        dgv.Sort(baseColumn, System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Ascending)
        newColumn.HeaderCell.SortGlyphDirection = Windows.Forms.SortOrder.Ascending
        For Each dr As DataGridViewRow In dgv.Rows
            If dr.Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value Is System.DBNull.Value Then 
                dr.Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = intSortingRunningPosition
                intSortingRunningPosition += 1
            End If
        Next
        dgv.Sort(newColumn, System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Ascending)
            If dr.Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value >= 1000 Then
                dr.Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value = System.DBNull.Value
            End If
        Next
    End If
    I have also tried the following, using the Sort(IComparer) Method, but had little success:

Code:
    Public Function Compare(ByVal x As Object, ByVal y As Object) As Integer _
         Implements System.Collections.IComparer.Compare

Dim DataGridViewRow1 As DataGridViewRow = CType(x, DataGridViewRow)
         Dim DataGridViewRow2 As DataGridViewRow = CType(y, DataGridViewRow)
         Dim CompareResult As Integer
         Dim intDGV1Cell0Value As Integer = Nothing
         Dim intDGV1Cell1Value As Integer = Nothing
         Dim intDGV2Cell0Value As Integer = Nothing
         Dim intDGV2Cell1Value As Integer = Nothing

Try
             intDGV1Cell0Value = CInt(DataGridViewRow1.Cells(0).Value)
         Catch ex As Exception
             intDGV1Cell0Value = Int32.MaxValue
         End Try
         Try
             intDGV1Cell1Value = CInt(DataGridViewRow1.Cells(1).Value)
         Catch ex As Exception
             intDGV1Cell1Value = Int32.MaxValue
         End Try
         Try
             intDGV2Cell0Value = CInt(DataGridViewRow2.Cells(0).Value)
         Catch ex As Exception
             intDGV2Cell0Value = Int32.MaxValue
         End Try
         Try
             intDGV2Cell1Value = CInt(DataGridViewRow2.Cells(1).Value)
         Catch ex As Exception
             intDGV2Cell1Value = Int32.MaxValue
         End Try

' Try to sort based on the Last Name column.
         CompareResult = System.String.Compare(intDGV1Cell1Value, intDGV2Cell1Value)

' If the Last Names are equal, sort based on the First Name. 
             If CompareResult = 0 Then
                 CompareResult = System.String.Compare(intDGV1Cell0Value, intDGV2Cell0Value)
             End If

Return CompareResult * sortOrderModifier
     End Function
    Any ideas on what the best way to achieve this may be?

Thanks

Re: How do you sort a column in a DataGridView control that contains DBNull values?

Why do you allow DbNull values in an integer field at all? Is this meant to represent something esoteric like zero squared? The value is zero as far as the sort's concerned so you might as well make it explicitly so. If you want to sort in this rather arcane way, the easiest solution is to add a column with dependent values that would give you the sort order you need so zero/null is 9999, but 1 is 1, 2 is 2 etc.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Re: How do you sort a column in a DataGridView control that contains DBNull values?

Ok, I added a column to the database so that I can get away from the issues with just adding it to the datagridview control, and it seems to be working for the most part. The only issue that I have now, is that when I sort specific columns with DBNull values, the row that is currently selected (along with a few other random rows) does not get sorted until I click off of it, and then click it again. Then it seems to fall right where it is supposed to be. Do I need to refresh the table or something along those lines?

My code now is as follows:

Code:
    Private Sub dgvHeader_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs) Handles dgvOverview.ColumnHeaderMouseClick
            Dim newColumn As DataGridViewColumn = Nothing
            Dim baseColumn As DataGridViewColumn = Nothing
            Dim sortColumn As DataGridViewColumn = Nothing
            Dim intSortColumnIndex As Integer = Nothing
            Dim intSortArraySize As Integer = 0
            Dim strSortArray(intSortArraySize) As String
            Dim boolExitFor As Boolean = False
            Dim intCurrentRow As Integer = 0
            Dim intTotalRows As Integer = Nothing
            Dim intSortArrayPosition As Integer = 0
            Dim m_CopyDataTable As DataTable = Nothing
            Dim boolSkipAdd As Boolean = False
            Dim intSortingRunningPosition As Integer = Nothing

For Each tbp As TabPage In tabctrlTimingTable.TabPages
                For Each dgv As DataGridView In tbp.Controls
                    If dgv.CanFocus Then
                        newColumn = dgv.Columns(e.ColumnIndex)
                        baseColumn = dgv.Columns(0)
                        For Each col As DataGridViewColumn In dgv.Columns
                            If col.Name = "Sort" Then
                                sortColumn = col
                                intSortColumnIndex = col.Index
                            End If
                        Next
                            dr.Cells(intSortColumnIndex).Value = System.DBNull.Value
                        Next

If newColumn.HeaderCell.SortGlyphDirection = Windows.Forms.SortOrder.Descending Then
                            If dgv.Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name.EndsWith("Position") And Not dgv.Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name = "Starting Position" Then
                                        dr.Cells(intSortColumnIndex).Value = intSortingRunningPosition
                                    Else
                                        dr.Cells(intSortColumnIndex).Value = dr.Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value
                                    End If
                                Next
                                dgv.Sort(sortColumn, System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Ascending)
                            Else
                            End If
                        ElseIf newColumn.HeaderCell.SortGlyphDirection = Windows.Forms.SortOrder.Ascending Then
                            If dgv.Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name.EndsWith("Position") And Not dgv.Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name = "Starting Position" Then
                                intSortingRunningPosition = -1000
                                        intSortingRunningPosition -= 1
                                    Else
                                    End If
                                Next
                                dgv.Sort(sortColumn, System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Descending)
                            Else
                                dgv.Sort(newColumn, System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Descending)
                            End If
                            newColumn.HeaderCell.SortGlyphDirection = Windows.Forms.SortOrder.Descending
                        Else
                                    Else
                                    End If
                                Next
                                dgv.Sort(sortColumn, System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Ascending)
                            Else
                            End If
                        End If
                        boolExitFor = True
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next
                If boolExitFor = True Then
                    Exit For
                End If
            Next

End Sub

Private Sub dgvOverview_DataBindingComplete(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DataGridViewBindingCompleteEventArgs) Handles dgvOverview.DataBindingComplete

' Put each of the columns into programmatic sort mode. 
            For Each column As DataGridViewColumn In dgvOverview.Columns
                column.SortMode = DataGridViewColumnSortMode.Programmatic
            Next
        End Sub

Public Class myReverserClass
            Implements IComparer

' Calls CaseInsensitiveComparer.Compare with the parameters reversed. 
            Public Function Compare(ByVal x As Object, ByVal y As Object) As Integer Implements IComparer.Compare
                Return New CaseInsensitiveComparer().Compare(y, x)
            End Function

End Class
    Last edited by J2Tuner; Jan 9th, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added information

Well, here's an off the wall, straight out of left field suggestion. Try it and then you can tell us!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Using the following method:

Code:
    dgv.Refresh()
    Doesn't seem to do anything. I heard that this only forces a repaint of the DataGridView, but that is what I expected to need. I am not quite sure why I am having this issue. It seems to sort fine for the first few sorts, and then it starts to skip rows randomly, and it keeps skipping more rows the more you try to sort the column.

I've been pretty lost trying to manually sort.

I doubt whether it's truly random. There'll be a pattern to it even if it's not obvious and my guess would be that it is rows where you have made changes not yet committed to the datatable and database so I would suggest you run an update before the sort (whether it's 'needed' or not). If that's not the problem, the dgv automatic sort releases all selections by default so it might help if you did likewise at the start of your programmatic sort (you'll have to find a way to keep a record of selections if you want them to carry over a sort though).

I don't have a reason to keep the selections during the sort. How do you release them? I tried to set the dgv.selecteditems property to none, but I guess this property is read-only. I'm sure I am missing something simple.

Resolved Re: How do you sort a column in a DataGridView control that contains DBNull values?

Aha! Clearing the selection was the trick. The problem was that I sort the table by a column before I check to see if another column has empty values, give values to those empty cells, and then re-sort by this column. It seems that I have to clear the selection before the first sort, and again, before the second sort, because a cell seems to get selected immediately after a sort.

I ended up adding the following code before each sort.

Code:
    dgv.ClearSelection()
    dgv.CurrentCell = Nothing
    Oh, and I had to use both of these lines of code, otherwise it would not work.

Thanks for the help!