Thread: problem with BIOS administrator password

problem with BIOS administrator password

my mobo is asus p8h61mlx. i set up a user password at BIOS and i didn't do anything with the administrator password.
    i can access the system using my user password but i can't access BIOS anymore.

after hitting delete to enter setup, i am prompted with login password. i tried typing nothing and hitting the enter button, considering that i didn't set up admin password at all, but to no avail.

i don't want to open my pc and reset the CMOS rtc ram to clear the BIOS password because my pc is still under warranty and opening it would make it void.

please help guys.

thanks.

Re: problem with BIOS administrator password

You said at the beginning of your post that you set a password then in the middle of the post you said there is no password. So is there a password?

Edit:

Googling "Recover bios password" I came across this which might help.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

u can set up a password for either administrator(to edit/change bios settings) or user(login before loading OS).

i only set a password for user.

Did you try the methods mentioned on the site posted above?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

i am not sure how old that site is but you can't reset any computer's bios any more just by pulling the battery, and this has NEVER worked on laptops as they store the password on a completely separate chip encrypted. Home pcs haven't had the ability to be reset this way in years ever since bios chips started using flash memory. There is a jumper on motherboards that erases that flash memory, thus resetting the bios. If you are dead-set against cracking your case to move that jumper then your only other option is to run a dos-based program that can read and decode your bios, as the password will almost always be stored unencrypted. Supposedly the program listed in his link above can recover them if ran from a cmd prompt, but i suspect this won't actually work unless you open the cmd program with administrator access because windows won't let it get direct memory access otherwise.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

On a couple of other sites I read they said you could contact the support desk of the computer manufacture and they could reset it for you, although, I have never tried this so I wouldn't know.