Thread: [RESOLVED] directx or xna

Resolved [RESOLVED] directx or xna

DirectX is no longer supported by microsoft, therefor I can't use it(I use vb.net 2010). XNA looks as though microsoft is trying to get away from supporting that as well. So my question is: Should I go with DirectX or XNA? If DirectX, should I use slimdx or sharpdx?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Re: directx or xna

Why do you feel that MS is trying to get away from XNA? I got the impression that they wanted to go more towards XNA to converge with xBox, but is that changing?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

See that's why I thought, even with the 4.5 update to where we can use XNA for vb.net. However I read this article, I don't see any mention of XNA(or vb.net/c#). I'm thinking that with win8, microsoft wants us to use C++ with directx.

I would guess that illustrates a conflict between different groups within MS rather than a direction that the company is headed. C++/DirectX are old, established, tech, so I would be surprised if there aren't plenty of adherents to that, while XNA is newer. I'd be interested to read what others think about this.

By the way, I am using XNA in VB in 4.0, currently. The templates aren't there, but all the functionality is, so if you can live without the templates, you don't need 4.5 to use XNA.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I think that my major problem is the lack of documentation on using XNA with vb.net, but I guess that's the fun in it as well.

Lively Member

If you want to stay with vb.net and already have experience with XNA, you should continue with XNA and make a game or two and have fun making them
    If the game turn out great and you get serious about game development and you want to try to sell them, then you should join some of the game developers forums and research what other successful game developers use depending on the game types and platforms you want to support

you get serious about game development and you want to try to sell them
    Just a hobby, I would give out the source for other people that want to learn :]

Lively Member

Then I would stick with what you know (xna) for now

Re: [RESOLVED] directx or xna

WOW I'm just a poor Dx-newbie who would be interested in some "Managed" DirectX programming (VB.NET as far as possible) and I've found this:

Last edited by Visualizer; Mar 1st, 2013 at 07:02 AM.

FYI, don't stick with XNA. Microsoft has put out a news article that they are abandoning support for it, yet continue to support DirectX. So there will no longer be any new versions of XNA.

Re: Microsoft to stop XNA, continueing supporting MDX

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman
    ... Microsoft has put out a news article that they are abandoning support for it, yet continue to support DirectX. ...
    lol I was just about to install XNA, thanx for warning us Well I've already met posts with such info around the net but I wasn't sure where should I head to so I've downloaded the actual version of XNA, SlimDX & SharpDX.

I frankly appreciate Microsoft have admitted that stopping supporting Managed DirectX without providing a well established alternative wasn't a good step and continueing supporting it instead would be widely appreciated. Guess many people would sigh, saying "at last" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    ...Microsoft has put out a news article that they are abandoning support for it, yet continue to support DirectX. So there will no longer be any new versions of XNA.
    Ehhh....do you have a link of this news article?

Theres numerous sites mentioning this, and it seems Microsoft is abandoning XNA quietly. However Microsoft did say this:

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Microsoft is actively investing in DirectX as the unified graphics foundation for all of our platforms, including Windows, Xbox 360, and Windows Phone. DirectX is evolving and will continue to evolve. We have absolutely no intention of stopping innovation with DirectX.
    So DirectX continues on.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...bandon-directx

What means it's only about abandoning XNA, but it seems there's not much chance for any future MS support for MDX (wish MS would falsify this). The only DE that will surely remain supported is VC++ / DirectX, what means the "development diagram" (of the current chaos) I've drawn in my previous post still stands. We'll still have to head towards SlimDX, SharpDX and other similar tools as things go now. As for me, SharpDX seems the most appealing. Oppinions ?

Re: the future of MDx ...

Found another monologue of the topic, although I wouldn't explicitly encourage anyone to consider its statements as final truth or take them too seriously, but at least it's interesting.

Check it out here: http://amapplease.blogspot.hu/2013/0...-now-what.html

... I have a feeling that there will be a kinda .NET support for DirectX again once - may be (or prolly) as an integrated part of VS (2012 or above) "standard" libraries, but it'll be there only for later versions of .NET and / or later DirectX versions (only for later versions of Windows) ... what may be another good reason for heading to SharpDX now ...