Thread: Asynchronous web request to check for internet connectivity.

Hyperactive Member

Asynchronous web request to check for internet connectivity.

I've been trying to work on this using various online sources for about 6 hours and can't get my head around it.

I'm building a Windows 8 phone application using VS2012 and simply trying to send a request to a URL and receive back a response to identify whether or not we have internet connectivity. So far, I call the following subroutine:

PHP Code:
    Sub intnow()

Dim uri As New System.Uri("http://www.aol.com")

Dim request As WebRequest WebRequest.Create(uri)

request.BeginGetResponse(AddressOf FinishWebRequestrequest)

End Sub 
    I then have a subroutine called FinishWebRequest within which I am expecting a response. I simply don't know where to go from here. How do I parse the HTTP response? Ps: I have to use BeginGetResponse as it is the only method Windows 8 supports in this class.

Many Thanks,
    Jordan

Re: Asynchronous web request to check for internet connectivity.

What is the purpose of checking for internet connectivity?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Hyperactive Member

Re: Asynchronous web request to check for internet connectivity.

My application stores data which needs sending to a server. However, if a phone is in a bad coverage area or temporarily does not have internet access, I need to know about it so that the data can be queued up to be sent as soon as a connection becomes available.