Thread: Why my dell system is giving me problems

Fanatic Member

Why my dell system is giving me problems

Hi I have a Dell Desktop system, (Optiplex GX620, Pentium D Intel Inside ). When i use xp sp2 or sp3, its given me problems. Problems like hardware issues, sometimes it becomes so slow, sometimes it show problems in video songs or movies playing and sound problems, usb problem. Please guide me why its doing this?.

PowerPoster

Re: Why my dell system is giving me problems

This is a beast from 2005 based on pretty mature technology even then. More likely than not something has worn out. I heard that many of these had problems with poor-quality capacitors on the motherboard that get flaky and then fail.

It may be just as likely that the OS is hosed due to registry corruption or something. Might be time to reformat and reinstall Windows, perhaps even on a new hard drive.

Before that though you might open it up, clean out the dust and fuzz, unplug/replug all cables, and reseat the RAM sticks. Accumulated crud can lead to overheating that forces the CPU to "gear down" to prevent thermal overload.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-031420.htm

The power supply mgiht be failing too for that matter. Basically you have quite an antique there. Not useless but getting close. Often a new system makes more sense, and guess what? Windows has changed a lot since the dark days of XP.

Iused to have that same desktop. Make sure that any drivers you are using are from dells support page. You mentioned you were having issues in xp. Does that mean you have tried win2k on it? But I had no real issues out of mine except the limited memory. If you have sp3 on it the 128 Mb of ram it may have came with wont be enough. I upgraded mine. Its not a bad system depending on which processor you got. Pentium d is nearly as fast as core processors but there were numerous speeds ofered in that model.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 2nd, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Fanatic Member

HI Lord Orwell, I didin't find the drivers on Dell Website. From where you downloaded the original one?

click here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...dhs&cs=19&l=en and enter your service tag number. Dell keeps a record of every computer they ever sold and customizes the download page accordingly (with some occasional errors) according to what hardware it has in it. You order a webcam? the driver is there. You didn't get one? it's not. If you can't find your service tag number there's an activex control you can let them install under IE that will find the number. Otherwise you can navigate to your product's general page through the links at the bottom. Here's a general download link for the 620 that includes all hardware available in that model. I suggest you filter with your service tag to cut the list down. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...optiplex-gx620
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Fanatic Member

Hmmmm. Lord Orwell. You are great man. It worked me finely. there are drivers. I will download and will give my feedback here. Have a good day.