Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long is your password?

Re: How long is your password?

We had face recognition software for an entryway camera. Whenever a person came in who was recognized, a little gong sounded. The gong was kind of unnecessary, since we were a small shop and everybody knew everybody else. Then one day the gong went off and we looked up to see a strange guy walk past. Somebody turned to me and asked, "who was that?". I replied, "he didn't look familiar, but his face sure rang a bell."

None of that is true. What is true is this:

You don't spray the cats, that doesn't even work. I left out a key piece to the pepper bit, since I got off onto the bit about who eats pepper and forgot to come back. As an example, let me ramble a bit about a nerf football I had when I was growing up. Our dog liked to grab the football and run off with it. Naturally, Nerf doesn't stand up well against a dog. Therefore, I liberally peppered the football (this was easier, since I am fairly liberal anyways, but even conservatives should be able to manage it). I then tossed the ball. The dog grabbed the ball and took off running. After a few steps, the dog stopped rapidly, dropped the ball, looked at it in horror, and never touched it again. By doing that, the dog associated the pepper with the ball, not with me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

That's good, because otherwise we would have to wag our tails and lick our teammates to show appreciation, instead of the good old salary raises.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

I remember way back when (mainframes and timeslicing) I used a password that was promptly forgotten...I subsequently had to get into the database table and retrieve my user name and password: turns out I'd dyslexically swapped two letters. Breaking in to a database, finding the users table and viewing everyone's user names and plain text passwords: the ironing didn't hit me until many years later.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Breaking in to a database, finding the users table and viewing everyone's user names and plain text passwords...
    I have to say that almost every system I've ever worked on has stored passwords in plain text in a DB table. What's worse, the table is always called Users and the field is always called Password. I reckon that's not just my experience either. If you were able to do a survey probably more than 50% of the systems out there would be the same. Honestly, if a hacker ever managed to query a business's database direct I reckon it would take 30 seconds at most to harvest the lot.

You don't spray the cats, that doesn't even work.
    Yeah, I guessed it was for the gadget not the cat, I'm not that cruel. I'm not sure it would really act as a deterrent though... the ginger one does love a curry.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jan 5th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

What beats me is how you could get into the database and retrieve the data, when you dyslexically forgot part of your password.
    And yes, I can confirm FD's guess, though I would say in my case almost all systems I have worked with have had those 'flaws'. I would blame it all on the tutorials, though. Every tutorial on the net which deals with custom user authentication pretty much has the same properties. So the flawed design principle flows from there to the developers.

Tongue in Cheek.

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Hyperactive Member

4 strong.....

EDIT: Oh wait, passwords.... silly me. Usually 8 characters, 5 letters 3 numbers.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    That's good, because otherwise we would have to wag our tails and lick our teammates to show appreciation

Are you saying I shouldn't be doing that?

I don't know. Licking may not be hygienic. Wagging your tail may not be so bad, unless your tail is seventy feet long, in which case it will upset the furniture and computers and other stuff in the office. It may also knock down others.

General VB Faq Thread

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

we would have to wag our tails and lick our teammates
    Bodwad already does
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12