Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is your password?

Lightbulb How long is your password?

Mine is 11 with different cases and combination of numbers and letters. I am now contemplating of using all the alphabet with a few numbers just to be safer.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Re: How long is your password?

And the password is?

I use the hash of my password as the password. Isn't it more secure ?

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Using hash might be better than using the hash of the hash of your password. Too much distillation will make it lose its taste.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Too much distillation will make it lose its taste.

How about adding some "salt"? Tastes better, isn't it ?

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

@ dee_u

You have some nerve asking a man how long his password is.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Well, it's at least more polite than asking how big his sword is.

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    @ dee_u

You have some nerve asking a man how long his password is.
    A woman can also answer my question. =)
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Women don't carry swords, so I guess they are also poor with passwords. My laptop has my wife's login but I haven't set a password to it yet, just to prove that women aren't as good with passwords.

General VB Faq Thread

As long as the content in any post I make, just to be sure I will get a perfect One-Time Pad out of it. You didn't think these posts would be sent in cleartext did you?
    CSS layout comes in to the 21st century with flexbox!
    Just another Perl hacker,

Mine is 7 characters long. Sometimes 8-9 depending on wether or not I have to use numbers as well. My wife's goto password is "password123", and I just shake my head.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I use the same password for any and all logins. Its 8 characters long and in one case. Simple to remember and I can type it without thinking. Been using it for like no less than 5 years now.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I use a variety of passwords that are alpha-numeric and contain punctuation. The length is generally 7-13 characters. Now I hear that isn't large enough.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I am thinking of using this: 0TheQuickBrownFoxJumpsOverTheLazyDog987654321 and perhaps some other symbols.
    Regards,

What if the dog bites?

Seriously, there should be a consistent password policy across all sites. There are some sites which accept hyphens, there are some which don't, but accept astericks, there are some which accept alphabets, some which accept numbers. Why I can't I simply enter my social security number everywhere as my password?

General VB Faq Thread

Why I can't I simply enter my social security number everywhere as my password?
    Oooh That's the first one I'm gonna try in an attempt to hack you stuff
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

But you don't know it!

General VB Faq Thread

Maybe I'll call you and pretend that you won something and say I need your info before you come collect it....name, age and SS#

Oh, that won't work. Someone already tried it on me and I lost all my savings. So that ploy won't work now. Think of something else.

General VB Faq Thread

I would ask you if you needed an insurance quote and then ask for your SS # when I build rapport.

Yeah, that could work. Nobody has ever tried to sell me an insurance policy. Which kind do you have btw? Do you have any which would protect me against fraudsters gaining access to my social security number and making away with all my money? I am very worried something like that will happen to me.

General VB Faq Thread

Yup, check out legal shield in my signature :]

Name:  password_strength.png
Views: 404
Size:  90.8 KB

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

16 characters and up. Upper and lower case, numbers and symbols (./_(%@$...).

But a bigger problem is password reuse.

So all services I use have a different password (Gmail, Skype, Amazon, Apple, Dropbox...). I have them written down, and I know just a few by heart. I also use 2 step verification wherever possible, like Gmail. So even with a correct password they send a numeric code to my cellphone that I have to input as well. It's not a hassle as you can 'save' a device so you're not prompted every time, like a home computer etc.

better use a simple and small password and everyone will be thinking of a longer one

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

I find it interesting that at my company they make you change your password every 90 days which is all fine except that you can never use a password again. With that said our service desk number 1 call in is for lost or forgotten passwords as after three attempts they are locked out. Several years ago I walked around with several of the network team and a) lifed up keyboards, mouse pads and opened top desk drawers. Result, 20-30% had passwords written down. They sent an e-mail out indicating this had to stop, have no clue if it did but I know several that put their passwords in their personal phones.

It's a necessary peril of having to follow all those security guidelines. Today you have to use a password at anywhere around eight to ten places: you have your corporate account, at least a couple of email accounts, a few forums such as this, facebook and a couple of other social networking sites, a regular banking password and a credit card password, and the bare minimum number of passwords you have to manage have reached double digit in no time. Now if all passwords were to be compulsorily reset and you weren't allowed to reuse them, life would indeed become miserable.

More and more single sign-on services like what MS offered should be encouraged and promoted. It's simply too much of a hassle to remember and manage so many passwords. I would actually prefer to dump these all and go to a physical verification, when I am utterly pis$ed. Somehow I feel the day isn't too far.

General VB Faq Thread

Well I use some characters and signs in my password to make it more strong. It gives better security to our private documents and data.

We have to change passwords every 6 months, and you can't reuse the last five passwords. This means that you need to have six passwords if you want to rotate through them. Naturally, this sets up an obvious progression:

Password1: Whatever
    Password2: Whatever1
    Password3: Whatever2
    etc..

then just rotate. I don't know how many people do this, but I would guess that the answer would be: EVERYBODY in the system.

Frankly, the first cartoon seems like the right answer to me. We don't need shorter and more random passwords, we need longer, but not truly random passwords.

Isn't it ironic that the technology has to work both ways: Make sure information reaches people and then make sure they can't access it if they aren't supposed to?

General VB Faq Thread

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Isn't it ironic that the technology has to work both ways: Make sure information reaches people and then make sure they can't access it if they aren't supposed to?

Is that why I can not access my apple tarts?

PowerPoster

The problem is that people are scum.

Not all people, and not even the rest all of the time. But just enough that you need door locks, car keys, bike locks, window shades, and passwords.

If you really want a good look at my bare ass I sell 8 by 10s in the lobby at reasonable prices.

For some reason, I don't think I have ever had a harder time reading a post than that last one. It wasn't the writing, or the punctuation, or the grammar, I managed to screw up all three again and again, which seriously impacted comprehension. First, I read "scum" as "scrum", so I was trying to turn that first sentence into some commentary on methodology, which I couldn't do, then I mentally added in extra commas in the list of locks and keys, just to confuse the heck out of that sentence. And so on. Very odd.

I'm not making a point, I'm just stating the facts of the case because I find them really weird.

Care to post the screwed up version?

General VB Faq Thread

PowerPoster

Yeah, it can hardly be worse than what I posted.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Is an apple tart a women of easy virtue who really likes iPads?

Very odd
    It's possible you're just still really badly hung over.

Peronally I have one password I use for all forums, one for my bank account, one for my credit card and then for work I just look for inspiration once every couple of months. I must admit, the credit card one is written down at home because I almost never use it so wouldn't remember it otherwise, the others I can usually cope with although I do occasionaly forget the work one. Having the same one for all forums is, perhaps, a little unwise, but if Brad Jones really wants to discredit me on a bunch of gaming sites I think I'll cope.

HB, I'm curious as to what you'd suggest as physical verification methods. I think some form of physical verification could be a good idea but the stuff that's out there at the moment is a total pain. My business account comes with a stupid handheld device that I have to type my PIN into and get a code every time I want to access their site. This is horrendously annoying for two reasons:-
    1. It's too important to risk losing by carrying it around with me so it effectively chains me to my desk for banking - not the end of the world but annoying
    2. My cats continue to pick on me by nicking it and hiding it behind the wardrobe - I'm definitely losing this battle.
    I think some form of physical verification would be a good idea but it's got to be convenient to use. As we all start to use smart phones more and more I wonder whether a standard attachment that scanned a finger print or similar could allow us access from our phone.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It's possible you're just still really badly hung over.
    I considered that, but then I remembered that I don't drink, so I ruled it out.

I realize that people probably thought that I misread the post into something interesting, but that's not the case. I misread the post into a random compilation of gibberish that even I couldn't make sense of. It wouldn't be at all interesting, only the fact that I botched it so bad was of interest to me, even.

2. My cats continue to pick on me by nicking it and hiding it behind the wardrobe - I'm definitely losing this battle.
    I think some form of physical verification would be a good idea but it's got to be convenient to use. As we all start to use smart phones more and more I wonder whether a standard attachment that scanned a finger print or similar could allow us access from our phone.
    Use pepper. Hot pepper probably evolved because it irritates mammals. Interestingly, I believe that birds don't taste hot pepper (I can say the active ingredient, but spelling it appears to be lacking a letter). Since mammals tend to chew up seeds, but birds don't, this suggests that the peppers were counting on birds to distribute the seeds, while detering mammals, who would destroy the seeds. Of course, then humans came along. We find the hot pepper painful...so we consume vast amounts of it and have distributed the peppers to all corners of the earth (hard to do on a sphere, but I was rounding up). That makes the peppers strategy seem kind of perverse: It worked spectacularly well for the exact opposite reason that it should have.

PowerPoster

I've heard of using finely ground red (cayenne, etc.) pepper dust or red pepper juice spray to keep varmints (rabbits, squirrels, and so on) away from flowering plants, vegetable gardens, etc. No idea how effective it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Use pepper. Hot pepper probably evolved because it irritates mammals. Interestingly, I believe that birds don't taste hot pepper (I can say the active ingredient, but spelling it appears to be lacking a letter). Since mammals tend to chew up seeds, but birds don't, this suggests that the peppers were counting on birds to distribute the seeds, while detering mammals, who would destroy the seeds. Of course, then humans came along. We find the hot pepper painful...so we consume vast amounts of it and have distributed the peppers to all corners of the earth (hard to do on a sphere, but I was rounding up). That makes the peppers strategy seem kind of perverse: It worked spectacularly well for the exact opposite reason that it should have.
    While I couldn't possibly understand how your mind could read this in place of the original post (why, there's almost no similarity!), I am equally confused as to why you would call it gibberish. It's a damn fine post!

FD, physical verification would, in the least, eliminate the need to have so many different passwords. I am grateful for the many websites which haven't made it mandatory for me to change my password every three months and not be able to use the last eight. I am fed up of each new site coming up with their own rules as to what goes and what doesn't in a password.

Of course carrying a separate device to generate a unique pain number (or was it pin number?) is only adding to the pain and not helping at all. But if you could just use your fingerprint or face to identify yourself at work, just imagine how relieving it would be. The disclaimer should say that the biometric identification should work flawlessly.
    General VB Faq Thread

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I considered that, but then I remembered that I don't drink, so I ruled it out.
    Well that's your problem, right there. You can't expect CC to make any sense sober.

Use pepper.
    To be fair I do have some repellent spray but I haven't the heart to use it. They just look at me with a hurt expression and that's it, game over. Strangely several women have found the same tactic works on me over the years and I've lost every time.

I've heard exactly the same thing as you about pepper being hot to allow birds to distribute it while deterring mammals so there's probably something in that.

I am fed up of each new site coming up with their own rules as to what goes and what doesn't in a password.
    Yeah, and banks are the worst. And I'm never convinced that the hoops they want me to jump through are really for my benefit but rather for theirs. It really irritates me.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast