Thread: App crash report, how to understand?

Addicted Member

App crash report, how to understand?

My own app crashed and Windows gave me this which might as well be in Chinese, how can I understand and use this to solve the problem?

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: <my app name>
    Application Version: <my app version>
    Application Timestamp: 50ab1a18
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_4a56
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 3b292247
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 4a56
    Additional Information 2: 4a56783f6e31e87462610dca0761d8b8
    Additional Information 3: 34de
    Additional Information 4: 34ded7fe5a245e4c3b5da1cb80866130

Thanks

Re: App crash report, how to understand?

Well, I'm going to assume that there was a "More Details" link or button that you could have clicked for information. Also, on Windows 7/Vista check the logs under the "Event Viewer" in the "Administrative Tools" section of "System and Security" in the Control Panel.

Edit:

Here are some posts that my explain a few things.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...6-8e72875f162f
    stackhash-and-application-crashes-on-windows
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Dec 8th, 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Addicted Member

I think what I pasted is what was revealed by the More details button.

Your link does have comments mentioning this happening when memory is low which makes a lot of sense as memory was indeed very low when it crashed. Do you also think that's the likely cause? It's the same program and had been running for days or weeks without problems.

Thanks

Possibly! Have you changed anything such as hardware,settings, etc on your computer since you first noticed the problem?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Addicted Member

No, nothing changed other than additional programs opened which caused Windows to keep giving "Your computer is low on memory" errors and then my app closed with that error, so that seems to be the cause.

Thank you

Might be as a result of a memory leak! I would check to see if you RAM is all fine and that your computer is still recording the maximum amount of RAM installed in your machine.

Addicted Member

I had well over 100 processes running and about 30 tabs opened across 5-10 browser Windows, and I only have 2 GB of RAM (my page file is 6 GB), so the out of memory errors are entirely normal given these circumstances and stop as soon as I close a few tabs or programs.

By the way it is still reporting 2.00 GB in my computer properties, does that really go down if there's a memory leak and is that where I should be checking?

Thank you

I'm not really sure how it all works but yes I would think so. in the Task Manager under the "Performance" tab how does everything look/what are the numbers?

Thread moved to the 'General Developer' forum.