Thread: [RESOLVED] Migrating to an IIS7 machine

Resolved [RESOLVED] Migrating to an IIS7 machine

I am migrating one of my clients web sites to a new server - running IIS7.

Getting this message - seems it does not like the web.config file.

I'm not even sure how this handlers or remove name stuff go into that web.config - it's been running on IIS6 fine as it was.

Name:  GAL1.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  153.6 KB

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Re: Migrating to an IIS7 machine

I don't see a problem there.Can you post all the handlers section?
    Could be from something simple like forgot and ">" on web.config to a server security issue but this looks more like a broken web.config.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Here is the whole thing - with some identifying text masked...

I simple copied this from the running IIS6 machine to the IIS7 machine - wanted to take small steps as I try to get it running here.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!-- 
        Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the 
        web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
        the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
        A full list of settings and comments can be found in 
        machine.config.comments usually located in 
        \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config 
    -->
    <configuration>
    	<configSections>
    		<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    			<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    				<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
    				<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    					<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>
    					<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
    					<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
    					<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
    				</sectionGroup>
    			</sectionGroup>
    		</sectionGroup>
    	</configSections>
      <connectionStrings>
        <clear/>
        <add name="LocalSQLServerxAWC" connectionString="Data Source=xxxSRVR001\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=xxxfiles; Integrated Security=SSPI" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
        <add name="LocalSQLServerAWC" connectionString="Data Source=xxxsrvr\amc;Initial Catalog=xxxfiles; User Id=xxxuser; Password=xxxuser" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
      </connectionStrings>
      <system.web.extensions>
        <scripting>
          <webServices>
            <jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="2147483647"></jsonSerialization>
          </webServices>
        </scripting>
      </system.web.extensions>
      <system.web>
        <!-- 
                Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging 
                symbols into the compiled page. Because this 
                affects performance, set this value to true only 
                during development.

Visual Basic options:
                Set strict="true" to disallow all data type conversions 
                where data loss can occur. 
                Set explicit="true" to force declaration of all variables.
            -->
    		<compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true">
    			<assemblies>
    				<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    				<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    				<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    				<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    				<add assembly="System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    			</assemblies>
    		</compilation>
    		<pages>
    			<namespaces>
    				<clear/>
    				<add namespace="System"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Collections"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Collections.Generic"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Collections.Specialized"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Configuration"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Text"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Linq"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Xml.Linq"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.Caching"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.SessionState"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.Security"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.Profile"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.UI"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts"/>
    				<add namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls"/>
    			</namespaces>
    			<controls>
    				<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    				<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    			</controls>
    		</pages>
    		<!--
                The <authentication> section enables configuration 
                of the security authentication mode used by 
                ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. 
            -->
    		<authentication mode="Windows"/>
    		<!--
                The <customErrors> section enables configuration 
                of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs 
                during the execution of a request. Specifically, 
                it enables developers to configure html error pages 
                to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
                <error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />
                <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />
            </customErrors>
            -->
    		<httpHandlers>
    			<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>
    			<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    			<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    			<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false"/>
    		</httpHandlers>
    		<httpModules>
    			<add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    		</httpModules>
    	</system.web>
      <appSettings>
        <add key="smtpclient" value="xxxxsrvr.xxxs.local"/>
        <add key="smtpun" value="donotreply"/>
        <add key="smtppw" value="xxxx"/>
        <add key="addomain" value="xxxs"/>
        <add key="adcontainer" value="DC=xxxs; DC=local"/>
        <add key="adun" value=""/>
        <add key="adpw" value=""/>
        <add key="reportfolder" value="D:\awc reporting\reporting"/>
        <add key="reportdriver" value="PDF995"/>
        <add key="secondarylogin" value="email"/>
      </appSettings>
    	<system.codedom>
    		<compilers>
    			<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
    				<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
    				<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
    			</compiler>
    			<compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
    				<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
    				<providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>
    				<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
    			</compiler>
    		</compilers>
    	</system.codedom>
    	<!-- 
            The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet
            Information Services 7.0.  It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.
        -->
    	<system.webServer>
    		<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>
    		<modules>
    			<remove name="ScriptModule"/>
    			<add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    		</modules>
    		<handlers>
    			<remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>
    			<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>
    			<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>
    			<remove name="ScriptResource"/>
    			<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    			<add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    			<add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    		</handlers>
    	</system.webServer>
    	<runtime>
    		<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    			<dependentAssembly>
    				<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
    				<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
    			</dependentAssembly>
    			<dependentAssembly>
    				<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
    				<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
    			</dependentAssembly>
    		</assemblyBinding>
    	</runtime>
    </configuration>

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Don't see an issue.
    Maybe this could help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;929772

I did not do the IIS install - did some digging and found out that it was not fully done.

I needed to go into manage the server and add ASP.Net as a windows feature. Still getting some errors - but I think I can straighten those out - otherwise I'll be back to post...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Well - I got it almost working exactly as I want...

But I cannot get it to set my .aspx page as the default for the website. It's still showing the silly IIS7 welcome image if I DO NOT specify the XXXX.aspx page in the URL.

How can I get around this?

I just tried to disable the iisstart.htm file as a default and it won't take. What the heck is going on? I even tried to put a REDIRECT in the IISSTART.HTM file - but that didn't work.

Can I do that?? Is there a correct way to set this up??

Or do you want people to go to a full name like HTTPS://XXX.WWW.ZZZ/Page.aspx??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

All set - I must have messed with 3 or 4 other "features" that were not installed yet.

I have it working so that just going to the URL works - without have to add the PAGE.ASPX part onto the address.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Re: [RESOLVED] Migrating to an IIS7 machine

So it was the asp.net installation problem after all?
    Something else.I would suggest not using so similar names on connections ("LocalSQLServerAWC",LocalSQLServerxAWC") for your own peace of mind.I've learned it the hard way.
    P.S. Don't know what you did for the starting page but the easiest and probably more safe way is from IIS, go to the default document and add your starting webpage there.
    Last edited by sapator; Dec 6th, 2012 at 01:22 AM.

SBS 2012 seems to have a lot of "server features" that can be installed - you get FW 3.5 that way, and even .ASPX page serving capability. I had to turn on several items to finish the install in a way that would work for me.

Nothing had to change in the WEB.CONFIG - all that was actually good once I finished finishing the install to my needs.

btw - that putting of an "x" in the connection string is just to "invalidate" it in that production copy of the web.config - trick I use to allow me to leave the old line in place. I hate putting comments in these types of files...

Somehow I got my page to be the starting page - I was in the midst of trying several things and didn't walk away feeling I know exactly how that actually got done.

The goal was for the outside users to go to https://xxx.yyy.zzz and not have to put a /ASDF.ASPX in that URL - and that is what I got working.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

If you want the users to not have to type the aspx for other pages and not only the default you may want to consider URL Rewriting. I've never have to use it since i never got some request on doing so, so i can't be sure on the exact outcome but i believe this is the way to go.

I went back to look at what I left in place - and it was several items - not sure which one is actually causing this to work properly.

In the iisstart.htm I put this line of code

<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=https://xxx-xxx.com/myPagexx.aspx"></head>

But als put myPagexx.aspx in the default document list. And I also put it into the REDIRECT setup in IIS (although this attempt is now DISABLED)

I tried all this prior to me telling the IIS service to actually process .ASPX files at all - that was something that didn't get installed properly.

Once I fixed that the site started working and I left all these changes in place - not really sure which is making my page come up as the default. I probably should re-visit this and clean it up so I get it working with the least amount of non-default settings to IIS.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008