Thread: Automation

Automation

As I read and learn more about .NET programming it's becoming painfully obvious that the work I'm doing is not mainstream. The vast majority of tutorials, articles, and forum postings out there seem to be based on database activities. And that may not be the proper way to describe it because what I find is lots of information on how to structure data, mouse clicks and user forms, or worse, and I still can't figure this out...chat rooms. What is this obsession programmers have with chat programs? There are at least a few dozen commercially available chat programs ranging from free to only a few bucks in price but time after time my searches lead me to someone trying to author or tutorialize a new chat program writing about it as though it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

I wrote software years ago when BASIC was still basic and compilers were rare but available. I got away from that type of work for a while but always kept my hand in it to stay sharp and as a hobby. About a year ago while looking for work, I approached a company that was wanting to do automation with Excel and other software to interface with AutoCAD and custom machine software to do CNC machining etc... This was exactly the kind of opportunity I was looking for and while it doesn't pay as well as some of my previous managerial positions when the construction market was booming, it has gotten me through what are some extremely tough economic times.

I am interested in finding and speaking with others who are doing this kind of automation programming. That is programs written that don't have a damn thing to do with user interfaces. These programs are short and sweet and the usually just read information from text files, rapidly process it, perform structural calculations and then feed this information to another app or machine in the form of a text file. All the fluff and window dressing is not, how you say stripped out of it, because it was never designed to have fluff and window dressing in the first place. I welcome comments and conversations with others who may be doing similar types of programming.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Re: Automation

This thread would be better off in the general developer forum where you would get a broader audience, which would lead to more thoughts on this topic.

King of sapila

Or move to C-C++ forum because clearly, for what you want, vb.net is the worst option.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Or move to C-C++ forum because clearly, for what you want, vb.net is the worst option.
    My point of moving this thread is not about language but instead opening this up to the masses as not only VB.NET or C are the only options out there. Also let's say a database person reads the thread in a general forum that has delt with this type of operations perhaps in a former position etc.

Please do not say VB.NET is the worst option without backing this statement up. Someone can take C and do a poor job and a VB.NET developer do a spectacular job, which can make C solution look bad.

I don't do this kind of automation programming but more so the hardware and equipment type of automation programming. I control physical devices through various forms of communication such as serial (RS-232 connection), WiFi/LAN, RF, or IR. What I do is control projectors, cameras, general home theater, audio systems, digital signage, etc... Whether it's through a device like a handheld remote, apple devices such as iPads, iTouch, iPhone, etc... Or a Touchpanel.

This includes such advanced stuff as TV matrix displays, down to being able to switch a relay to turn something on.

The kind of automation programming you're talking about with various software isn't too difficult, as long as you know how the program you're controlling works, and possibly interprets command line actions. It could also be a COM assembly like Microsoft Office programs...
    <<<------------
    Improving Managed Code Performance | .NET Application Performance
    < Please if this helped you out. Any kind of thanks is gladly appreciated >

.NET Programming (2012 - 2018)
    ®Crestron - DMC-T Certified Programmer | Software Developer
    <<<------------

I suppose what we do in the main is quite similar to Ace. Data acquisition from various sensors, servo and relay control, working with microcontrollers. Often with a shed load of number crunching somewhere along the line. I find Net fine for most of this, and in the main quite a bit easier and quicker to develop with than C/C++. At my workplace I would say a 50% 50% split between high level .Net and low level C/C++ suits us right now. C++/CLI has also been useful for getting the high and low level stuff talking to each other.
    W o t . S i g