Thread: Beginner: Need suggestion for organizing values

Beginner: Need suggestion for organizing values

Hello! I am having an issue with picking which method to use for storing values. Thanks in advance for helping!

I have values of multiple types (Integer, Boolean, String) that I would like to sort into a table-like structure for ease of access. I've looked into several methods, but I would like some advice from experienced programmers to help me make an informed decision. By table-like, I mean in a sense that the data can be sorted into a rows and columns structure. The data being sorted will be static, so non-dynamic storage isn't a deal breaker.

I hope to be able to do something like this:
    storage(row 1, column 1) = john
    storage(row 1, column 2) = doe
    storage(row 2, column 1) = jane
    storage(row 2, column 2) = doe
    stringvalue = storage(row 1, column 2)

From what I've looked at, it appears either arrays or a database is the way to go, but I'd really like some advice before proceeding.

Thanks for reading, any advice is appreciated!

Re: Beginner: Need suggestion for organizing values

My goodness. That Doe family really gets around, huh?

Table like structure kinda demands datatable and datatable (if you want to retain the information beyond each program session) kinda demands database. This has the added advantage of being easily extensible if you want to add details of Jane and John's favourite Pokemon, shoe size and hair colour at a later date.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Re: Beginner: Need suggestion for organizing values

Thanks for the reply!