Thread: Windows 8, To get, or not to get.

Windows 8, To get, or not to get.

I have only used the developer release of windows 8 from probably 10 months ago, and wanted to know your opinions on if I should go ahead and get it, or stick with lovely windows 7.
    Some Ponies just want to watch the cereal burn.

Re: Windows 8, To get, or not to get.

I'm not in any rush, but only because I don't want to put in the time to upgrade a good system that doesn't really need an upgrade. I was always a bit uncomfortable with what I was hearing leading up to the release, but it sounds better now.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

windows 8 is very good and having an amazing design but if your looking to install cracked softwares and these stuff then you can't at the moment you gonna have to stick to windows 7 for a while.

Windows 8 is in rumors now If you want graphically impressive OS then windows 8 is what you are looking for but if you are really willing to have something user friendly then its not for you.

Why do you need it?

If you want the latest and greatest, then go ahead.
    If you like the 'store' idea, similar to Apple, then go ahead.
    If you like the superior (I think) graphics in windows 7, then don't.
    Are there some developer features (or other features) that make it beneficial? then upgrade.

It's reasonably priced, but only you can assess what benefits it might have for the money. If you have a decent computer, and want to upgrade, then why not run it as a virtual machine? Or, upgrade, and run windows 7 as a virtual machine?

Honestly, though, we are at a point where an Operating System is a commodity. It should be something like the 'ground' or 'air'. One of things that we just need, but isn't something to go wow over.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

PowerPoster

You can always wait for the next version in 2013, or the one after that in 2014.

The press is full of consistent rumors that Microsoft plans to go to freqent new releases of Windows at somewhat cheaper pricing. I wouldn't worry about missing out on the current "upgrade deals" for Windows 8.

In 2 years they'll be telling us how typing everything at a command line is the ideal mode of interaction, or require the use of a tongue-mouse to run a program.

Well the thing that gets me is that i can get a digital download copy for 40 bucks, and thats cheaper than windows 7. i have a Copy of windows 7 that i havent used the license to yet, but im just not sure yet.
    Some Ponies just want to watch the cereal burn.

I have an offer to upgrade to Win 8 by paying just a tiny fraction of its retail price, because I purchased a Win 7 laptop. Question is, should I or should I not upgrade?

The laptop in question is a pretty lightweight and small ultrabook, or a notch up over a netbook, running AMD dualcore 1GHz with 4GB RAM and no dedicated graphics. Heck, I can't even tweak the BIOS to allow more RAM to be used for graphics. Will Win 8 run well enough on this box?

As of now I have no complaints about Win 7.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Will Win 8 run well enough on this box?
    I'm running a thinkpad t60 on Win8 pro. I definately support the upgrade. Runs better than win7 and with Start8 installed (only $5) the interface is awesome. Quick app switching with the leftsidebar, and easy toggle between metro and desktop. The ability to sidebyside the desktop and store apps is useful. plus you can multiscreen leaving it up. Running 8 on dual core 1.8, 3gb ram, and 64mb gpu mem, runs fine.

If you're wrong, you'll learn. If I'm wrong, I'll learn. Try something new and go from there. That's how we improve.

CodeBank: VB.Net - Simple Proper Image Scaling in Correct Aspect Ratio - Star Rating Control
    Useful Links: HOW TO USE CODE TAGS

We have 1 windows 8 at work and so far so good, was able to install vb6 on it. =) Unfortunately, it doesn't have a start button, it is quite harder to show the charm, and I almost just always go to Desktop so its another click again. And I had to hack the registry so it can find the homegroup created in windows 7.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system