Thread: [RESOLVED] Difference between using Windows Script Host Object Model and not

Resolved [RESOLVED] Difference between using Windows Script Host Object Model and not

Hi,

Could someone explain to me why the script in post #43 here returns the results found and all I needed to do was reference "Windows Script Host Object Model" in the project. However, westconn1's total VB6 conversion which, does not require "Windows Script Host Object Model" keeps encountering "Permission Denied" when it gets to

Code:
    Open sRegTmp For Input As q
    What does the "Windows Script Host Object Model" do that operating system does not do on its own? I know that if I run the script version of the "RegEdit" does not still active in memory after the script has finished doing what it is supposed to do. With the "shell" it just leaves it in memory.

Code:
    Shell "regedit /e /a " & sRegTmp & " " & RegHives(j)        '/a enables export as Ansi for WinXP
    Thanks,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Re: Difference between using Windows Script Host Object Model and not

I found Windows Script Host object model which, says what each method does.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Nightwalker83, we have received your request to delete this thread? I feel that this should be left just like it is. This may help future visitors
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Siddharth Rout View Post
    Nightwalker83, we have received your request to delete this thread? I feel that this should be left just like it is. This may help future visitors
    I can't even find the information I am looking for! Although, it does not seem to be a common problem. That and I have no idea of where to start looking for a solution we, I have westconn1 and maxXPsoft helping me to figure a solution via the thread in the first post. If we figure out what the problem is there might lend itself to this thread.

It turns out that the reason why the vb script worked and the VB6 version of the code failed was because the script used the "Windows Script Host Object Model" run to carryout the command in post #1 rather than shelling it. I will have to do some research as to why the "Shell" method fails in such cases.