Page 16 of 94 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666 ... LastLast

Thread: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

PowerPoster

Re: CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls)

This is the 1.2 ActiveX Control version. (End of support)

Removed
    Last edited by Krool; Nov 4th, 2017 at 05:26 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    This is not a bug. The VB.Form is forwarding the IOleInPlaceActiveObject::TranslateAccelerator method to the UserControl. If now a UserControl (e.g. TextBoxW) is embedded into another UserControl then VB will not forward the IOleInPlaceActiveObject::TranslateAccelerator method to the underlying UserControl.

So in each chain of this embedding the IOleInPlaceActiveObject interface must be implemented and forwarded.

In your case, probably only the case where my UserControl (e.g. TextBoxW) is embedded in "your" UserControl you need to add the following code to "your" UserControl:

Code:
    Implements OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB

Private Sub IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB_TranslateAccelerator(ByRef Handled As Boolean, ByRef RetVal As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long, ByVal Shift As Long)
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim This As OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB
    Set This = UserControl.ActiveControl.Object
    This.TranslateAccelerator Handled, RetVal, wMsg, wParam, lParam, Shift
    End Sub
    This topic was already discussed in this thread.
    Can you please put this code snippet on your front page? Normal Textbox does't have this kind of issue.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Jonney View Post
    Can you please put this code snippet on your front page? Normal Textbox does't have this kind of issue.
    Done. Also to note that this "bug" so called only exist in the Std-EXE Version.
    The OCX version will just work fine with this, without any additional code.
    Last edited by Krool; Jan 8th, 2015 at 03:55 PM.

Frenzied Member

Done. Also to note that this "bug" so called only exist in the Std-EXE Version.
    The OCX version will just work fine with this, without any additional code.
    Thank you very much.
    Please indicate "#597" and the link for easy jump.

Frenzied Member

Typing error in ListBoxW:
    Code:
    Public Property Let ItemHeight(Optional ByVal Index As Long, ByVal Value As Single)
       '...
       If PropDrawMode <> CboDrawModeOwnerDrawVariable Then  -> LstDrawModeOwnerDrawVariable
       '...
    End Property
    One headache is that ListBox does't have modem themed Selection.

PowerPoster

Typing error in ListBoxW:
    Code:
    Public Property Let ItemHeight(Optional ByVal Index As Long, ByVal Value As Single)
       '...
       If PropDrawMode <> CboDrawModeOwnerDrawVariable Then  -> LstDrawModeOwnerDrawVariable
       '...
    End Property
    Thank you. Correction will be included in the next update.

Hi !

While migrating existing software (vb6) with the CommonCtrls replacement i discovered that when i'm running the application outside de debugger as exe it throws an error when all terminates has been fired.

Name:  ErrorDM.jpg
Views: 3285
Size:  26.1 KB

While reading this forum i discovered that a lot of people reported errors when using a manifest file which resulted in errors on closing the application.
    But I don't use any manifest or styling in my application !

Can the above exception still have anything to do with this ?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by lrd_VB6 View Post
    I wish I could have access to the positioning of the box CommonDialog
    I refer in particular to the message INIT_DIALOG (I think).
    Is that possible?

Or a simpler something like a variable "StartupPosition"
    CenterScreen or CenterWindow.
    But the first idea allows more thing!
    There will be a big enhancement in the CommonDialog class in the next update.

One of the things included will be a 'InitDialog' event where the hDlg is provided. There you can modify the dialog box before it gets displayed.
    This is done by using the hook callbacks for the various dialogs. But there will be also a new property called 'HookEvents', which is by default set to False and must be set to True manually after initializing. That indicates that any events for the dialog that requires a hook callback can be raised. (which in fact means that the dialog will only be hooked when that property is True)
    There will be also other events like a 'FontApply' event (in case the new added CdlCFApply flag is set) and such.

Just for info.
    Last edited by Krool; Jan 16th, 2015 at 06:07 AM.

Looking to show a font dialog without using the common dialog control. Am I right in thinking the code is contained in ComCtlsDemo.rar.zip. How do I open this file. Winzip can't open it. Do I have to change the extension? Can't find how to do this in Windows 7. Help please.

Managed to change the extension and although Winzip couldn't open the .rar file I found another program that did. So I think I have answered my own questions

There will be a big enhancement in the CommonDialog class in the next update.

One of the things included will be a 'InitDialog' event where the hDlg is provided. There you can modify the dialog box before it gets displayed.
    This is done by using the hook callbacks for the various dialogs. But there will be also a new property called 'HookEvents', which is by default set to False and must be set to True manually after initializing. That indicates that any events for the dialog that requires a hook callback can be raised. (which in fact means that the dialog will only be hooked when that property is True)
    There will be also other events like a 'FontApply' event (in case the new added CdlCFApply flag is set) and such.

Just for info.
    great!

I look forward to it!
    I still was using MsCommonDialog.ocx because of that.

For cons, I still have the graphical bug on tooltips (on XP) with "ToolTips.ctl."
    I think this is related to the use of an Usercontrol since the fact of using a class, everything goes well.
    If that is the case, is it really appropriate to use a UserControl?

Best Regards

PowerPoster

Update released.

Frenzied Member

Thank you very much.
    Please indicate "#597" and the link for easy jump.
    I found the trick still has problem in std-exe.
    I put TextBoxW in my uc1, then I put uc1 to my uc2, both uc1 and uc2 have the trick, then I put uc2 on my demo form,At the first time uc2 can move cursor by Right/Left key, but the 2nd time failed to move any more. I put the trick into my Form as well, doesn't work.I replace TextBoxW with VB6 TextBox, everything is fine.

Edited: Not sure why. my uc2 (hide or show) put into FlexGrid as Editor. But if I put uc2 on the form,then uc2 or uc1 are all OK. I replace us2's TextBoxW with VB6 textbox, Arrow keys are normal.

"Set This = UserControl.ActiveControl.Object", how about the activecontrol is not TextBoxW???

Code:
    Implements OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB

Private Sub IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB_TranslateAccelerator(ByRef Handled As Boolean, ByRef RetVal As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long, ByVal Shift As Long)
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim This As OLEGuids.IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB
    Set This = UserControl.ActiveControl.Object
    This.TranslateAccelerator Handled, RetVal, wMsg, wParam, lParam, Shift
    End Sub
    Finally Edited:
    I put code in uc1 which hosted TextBoxW, then the problem resolved.
    Code:
    Private Sub UserControl_Hide()
          SetFocusAPI UserControl.Parent.hWnd
    End Sub
    Normal VB6 TextBox desn't need this but perform normally. But at least I solved my problem.
    Last edited by Jonney; Jan 19th, 2015 at 01:12 AM.

PowerPoster

"Set This = UserControl.ActiveControl.Object", how about the activecontrol is not TextBoxW???
    Then an error will be raised when the interface IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB is not supported. (That is the case when ActiveControl.Object is not a TextBoxW, for instance)
    But as there is an error handler nothing will crash. (Resume Next)

Frenzied Member

Then an error will be raised when the interface IOleInPlaceActiveObjectVB is not supported. (That is the case when ActiveControl.Object is not a TextBoxW, for instance)
    But as there is an error handler nothing will crash. (Resume Next)
    When the parent hide,supposed the TextBoxW goes into hiding state as well or destroy at design time. Please check any improvement.
    Last edited by Jonney; Jan 19th, 2015 at 02:12 AM.

PowerPoster

mistake
    Last edited by Krool; Jan 19th, 2015 at 11:52 AM.

Frenzied Member

Krool, Please consider this API SetWindowTheme to add full theme support for Listview / Treeview on Vista/Win7/Win8:

In your demo Main():
    Private Declare Function SetWindowTheme Lib "uxtheme.dll" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal pszSubAppName As String, ByVal pszSubIdList As String) As Long

Call ComCtlsInitIDEStopProtection
    Call InitVisualStyles
    Call SetWindowTheme(MainForm.TreeView1.hWnd, StrConv("explorer" & Chr(0), vbUnicode), vbNullString)
    Call SetWindowTheme(MainForm.ListView1.hWnd, StrConv("explorer" & Chr(0), vbUnicode), vbNullString)
    Call SetWindowTheme(MainForm.ListView2.hWnd, StrConv("explorer" & Chr(0), vbUnicode), vbNullString)
    Call SetWindowTheme(MainForm.ListView3.hWnd, StrConv("explorer" & Chr(0), vbUnicode), vbNullString)

You can use SetWindowThemeW as well.

Refer to screenshot.

Attachment 121299
    Can you please put some codes for Theme selection support? For Listview and Treeview:
    Code:
    Public Property Get ExplorerTheme() As Boolean
        ExplorerTheme = m_ExplorerTheme
    End Property
    Public Property Let ExplorerTheme(ByVal Value As Boolean)
        m_ExplorerTheme = Value
        If m_hListView Then
            If Value Then
                Call SetWindowTheme(m_hListView, StrPtr("explorer"), 0)
                Call SendMessage(m_hListView, LVM_SETCALLBACKMASK, LVIS_FOCUSED, ByVal 0)
            Else
                Call SetWindowTheme(m_hListView, 0, 0)
                Call SendMessage(m_hListView, LVM_SETCALLBACKMASK, 0, ByVal 0)
            End If
        End If
    End Property

Frenzied Member

Not sure a bug or default behavior:

ListBoxW1.DrawMode = lstDrawModeNormal:

Code:
    Call SendMessage(ListBoxW1.hWnd, LB_SETITEMHEIGHT, 0,ByVal 40)
    If ListBoxW.IntegralHeight is True, After SendMessage to set new ItemHeight, the ListBox got resize problem.

If ListBoxW.IntegralHeight is false,ListBox size is OK,But the scrollbar disappear,after a click of Bottom Item,VScrollbar show again.
    Last edited by Jonney; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 05:18 AM.

PowerPoster

Not sure a bug or default behavior:

ListBoxW1.DrawMode = lstDrawModeNormal:

Code:
    If ListBoxW.IntegralHeight is True, After SendMessage to set new ItemHeight, the ListBox got resize problem.

If ListBoxW.IntegralHeight is false,ListBox size is OK,But the scrollbar disappear,after a click of Bottom Item,VScrollbar show again.
    There is a integrated 'ItemHeight' property in the ListBoxW. Tried that?

Also better make so
    Code:
    Call SendMessage(ListBoxW1.hWnd, LB_SETITEMHEIGHT, 0,ByVal 40&)
    instead of
    Code:

Frenzied Member

There is a integrated 'ItemHeight' property in the ListBoxW. Tried that?

Also better make so
    Code:
    Call SendMessage(ListBoxW1.hWnd, LB_SETITEMHEIGHT, 0,ByVal 40&)
    instead of
    Code:
    ItemHeight is sure OK, In case crazy guy send this message to ListBoxW though I send this Message to VB6 ListBox which is OK.

Call SendMessage(ListBoxW1.hWnd, LB_SETITEMHEIGHT, 0,ByVal 40&) make no difference.
    Last edited by Jonney; Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:42 AM.

Fanatic Member

@Jonney, Krool: not sure if this is helpful, but LB_SETITEMHEIGHT is only relevant for owner-drawn listboxes created with the LBS_OWNERDRAWVARIABLE style. With that style, each listbox entry can have a different height.

LB_SETITEMHEIGHT has no effect on normal listboxes, or owner-drawn listboxes with the LBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED style (where each listbox item has an identical height).

LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT allows you to set your own size for the listbox, and it allows listbox items to be partially shown. LBS_INTEGRALHEIGHT makes the system set the size of the listbox to be a multiple of the fixed individual item size. However, if you specify the LBS_OWNERDRAWVARIABLE flag, LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT is assumed (per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb775149.aspx).

Anyway, not sure if any of this is helpful, but if you haven't already, you should try combining the LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT and WS_VSCROLL flags at list box creation time. This should cause the scroll bar to appear correctly. (The only exception is, if only a single listbox item lies partially off-screen, I think Windows doesn't show the scroll bar, because you can still click the last item okay.) Also, you can use LB_GETITEMHEIGHT * LB_GETCOUNT to manually set a height where scrolling is never necessary, if your listbox doesn't contain too many items.

(Sorry if none of this is relevant!)
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

PowerPoster

Can you please put some codes for Theme selection support? For Listview and Treeview:
    Code:
    Public Property Get ExplorerTheme() As Boolean
        ExplorerTheme = m_ExplorerTheme
    End Property
    Public Property Let ExplorerTheme(ByVal Value As Boolean)
        m_ExplorerTheme = Value
        If m_hListView Then
            If Value Then
                Call SetWindowTheme(m_hListView, StrPtr("explorer"), 0)
                Call SendMessage(m_hListView, LVM_SETCALLBACKMASK, LVIS_FOCUSED, ByVal 0)
            Else
                Call SetWindowTheme(m_hListView, 0, 0)
                Call SendMessage(m_hListView, LVM_SETCALLBACKMASK, 0, ByVal 0)
            End If
        End If
    End Property
    There is already a integrated 'SetExplorerTheme' method for ListView and TreeView.
    But why do you use LVM_SETCALLBACKMASK in your code?

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner_H View Post
    @Jonney, Krool: not sure if this is helpful, but LB_SETITEMHEIGHT is only relevant for owner-drawn listboxes created with the LBS_OWNERDRAWVARIABLE style. With that style, each listbox entry can have a different height.

LB_SETITEMHEIGHT has no effect on normal listboxes, or owner-drawn listboxes with the LBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED style (where each listbox item has an identical height).

LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT allows you to set your own size for the listbox, and it allows listbox items to be partially shown. LBS_INTEGRALHEIGHT makes the system set the size of the listbox to be a multiple of the fixed individual item size. However, if you specify the LBS_OWNERDRAWVARIABLE flag, LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT is assumed (per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb775149.aspx).

Anyway, not sure if any of this is helpful, but if you haven't already, you should try combining the LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT and WS_VSCROLL flags at list box creation time. This should cause the scroll bar to appear correctly. (The only exception is, if only a single listbox item lies partially off-screen, I think Windows doesn't show the scroll bar, because you can still click the last item okay.) Also, you can use LB_GETITEMHEIGHT * LB_GETCOUNT to manually set a height where scrolling is never necessary, if your listbox doesn't contain too many items.

(Sorry if none of this is relevant!)
    I just occasionally SendMessage LB_SETITEMHEIGHT to ListBoxW (Normal Mode), The ListBoxW just draw partially. I Send the same message to VB6 ListBox (normal mode as well),VB6 ListBox draw normally. So I think it *may* be a bug in ListBoxW. That I raise this question. Sorry for confusion.
    Last edited by Jonney; Jan 23rd, 2015 at 07:13 PM.

Frenzied Member

There is already a integrated 'SetExplorerTheme' method for ListView and TreeView.
    But why do you use LVM_SETCALLBACKMASK in your code?
    Sorry I miss this function!
    BTW, ListBoxW's Selected doesn't work from what I tested, (Just test it not yet investigate.)

16 pages, I skimmed through them but not seeing the same problem I am having, unless I missed it.

I have the current code, and the bug is in it as well. The auto size for the labels do not work right. If I have it set to right or center for the text, auto size always expands left.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed this. I havent tested it using the v6 of the controls, only the v5.

Looking at the label code now and I see where the auto size code is, but I dont see any code to move it left when needed. I will see what I come up with :-)

Code:
    Format = DT_NOCLIP
    Select Case PropAlignment
        Case vbLeftJustify
            Format = Format Or DT_LEFT
        Case vbCenter
            Format = Format Or DT_CENTER
        Case vbRightJustify
            Format = Format Or DT_RIGHT
    End Select
    If Ambient.RightToLeft = True Then Format = Format Or DT_RTLREADING
    If PropUseMnemonic = False Then Format = Format Or DT_NOPREFIX
    If PropWordWrap = True Then Format = Format Or DT_WORDBREAK
    If PropAutoSize = True And LabelAutoSizeFlag = True Then
        Dim Buffer As String
        Buffer = PropCaption
        If Buffer = vbNullString Then Buffer = " "
        DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(Buffer), -1, RC, Format Or DT_CALCRECT
        .Size .ScaleX((RC.Right - RC.Left) + (BorderWidth * 2), vbPixels, vbTwips), .ScaleY((RC.Bottom - RC.Top) + (BorderHeight * 2), vbPixels, vbTwips)
        LabelAutoSizeFlag = False
    End If
    SetRect RC, RC.Left + BorderWidth, RC.Top + BorderHeight, RC.Right - (BorderWidth * 2), RC.Bottom - (BorderHeight * 2)
    If Not PropCaption = vbNullString Then DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(PropCaption), -1, RC, Format

OK I got auto size working like it should. I also found a few bugs that I fixed as well. When auto size is used the RC rest is redone by the drawtext api, and so it changes the size. So when using Right Justify the text wouldnt fit, it was to far to the left. So I redid it to take into account if auto size is being used and to use different math, otherwise keep using the norm.

So in the LabelW control, just replace the usercontrol paint event with this

Code:
    Private Sub UserControl_Paint()
    Dim RC As RECT, Format As Long
    Dim OldRight As Long, OldCenter As Long, OldWidth As Long
    Dim BorderWidth As Long, BorderHeight As Long
    Dim Buffer As String
    Buffer = PropCaption

With UserControl
    SetRect RC, 0, 0, .ScaleWidth, .ScaleHeight
    Select Case PropBorderStyle
        Case CCBorderStyleSingle
            BorderWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXBORDER)
            BorderHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYBORDER)
            UserControl.Line (0, 0)-(.ScaleWidth - BorderWidth, .ScaleHeight - BorderHeight), RGB(100, 100, 100), B
        Case CCBorderStyleThin
            DrawEdge .hDC, RC, BDR_SUNKENOUTER, BF_RECT
        Case CCBorderStyleSunken
            BorderWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXEDGE)
            BorderHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYEDGE)
            DrawEdge .hDC, RC, BDR_SUNKEN, BF_RECT
        Case CCBorderStyleRaised
            BorderWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXDLGFRAME)
            BorderHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYDLGFRAME)
            DrawEdge .hDC, RC, BDR_RAISED, BF_RECT
    End Select
    If .Enabled = False Then SetTextColor .hDC, WinColor(vbGrayText)
    Format = DT_NOCLIP

Case vbLeftJustify
        Case vbCenter
        Case vbRightJustify
    End Select

OldRight = .Extender.Left + .Extender.Width
        OldCenter = .Extender.Left + (.Extender.Width / 2)
        OldWidth = .Extender.Width

DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(Buffer), -1, RC, Format Or DT_CALCRECT
        .Size .ScaleX((RC.Right + (BorderWidth * 2)), vbPixels, vbTwips), .ScaleY((RC.Bottom + (BorderHeight * 2)), vbPixels, vbTwips)

'we clear the string so it doesnt draw it, When the control is moved the refresh is triggered and so the draw will be called again. Otherwise this paint gets called 3 times instead of 2.
                'but we only clear the string if we are moving the control left at all.
                'we only move the control if needed. This helps keep it from blinking when being updated very quickly

Case vbLeftJustify
                'we are left justifies, so we dont do anything as the calls already move things left

Case vbCenter
                'ok we are center, lets make it so that the label stays centerd in its spot
                If .Extender.Left <> (OldCenter - (.Extender.Width / 2)) Then
                    Buffer = vbNullString
                    .Extender.Left = (OldCenter - (.Extender.Width / 2))
                End If

Case vbRightJustify
                'ok we are right justified, lets move the lable so that the right side of it stays in place
                If .Extender.Left <> (OldRight - .Extender.Width) Then

Buffer = vbNullString
                    .Extender.Left = (OldRight - .Extender.Width)
                End If

End Select

'when using the auto size the rc changes and so we do a little different match to handle it. If we are not auto sizing then use the other math
        SetRect RC, RC.Left + BorderWidth, RC.Top + BorderHeight, RC.Right + BorderWidth, RC.Bottom + BorderHeight
    Else
        SetRect RC, RC.Left + BorderWidth, RC.Top + BorderHeight, RC.Right - (BorderWidth * 2), RC.Bottom - (BorderHeight * 2)
    End If

If Not Buffer = vbNullString Then DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(PropCaption), -1, RC, Format

End With
    For me Autosize is now working (AT least in the test I have done) If I missed anything or you find a better way to do it please let me know. And thanks again for your great work. Love these controls. If it wasnt for you Unicode in VB6 would be a night mare.

No github version, no pull requests. This project is pretty unwieldy now.

Someone recommended Github for Windows in a separate thread...

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SMC1979 View Post
    OK I got auto size working like it should. I also found a few bugs that I fixed as well. When auto size is used the RC rest is redone by the drawtext api, and so it changes the size. So when using Right Justify the text wouldnt fit, it was to far to the left. So I redid it to take into account if auto size is being used and to use different math, otherwise keep using the norm.

So in the LabelW control, just replace the usercontrol paint event with this
    Thanks. Will take this fix into account for the next update.

Thanks. I am still playing with it to get it working better. On a system with higher DPI the text doesnt fit, it isnt seeing that the text is larger and so the rec is still being sized as if the text is normal size.

So I am going to play around with the textwidth and textheight commands and see if I can use that to come up with more accurate math on what the size of the control should be on auto resize. So basically use the textwidth to get the size and then see what the width is of the rec and increase it if it is smaller than the textwidth reported.

PowerPoster

@ SMC1979, this is my version of the LabelW_Paint procedure:
    Code:
    With UserControl
        Case CCBorderStyleSingle
            UserControl.Line (0, 0)-(.ScaleWidth - BorderWidth, .ScaleHeight - BorderHeight), RGB(100, 100, 100), B
        Case CCBorderStyleThin
        Case CCBorderStyleSunken
        Case CCBorderStyleRaised
    End Select
    Format = DT_NOCLIP
        Case vbLeftJustify
        Case vbCenter
        Case vbRightJustify
    End Select
        Dim Buffer As String, CalcRect As RECT
        Buffer = PropCaption
        LSet CalcRect = RC
        DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(Buffer), -1, CalcRect, Format Or DT_CALCRECT
        Dim OldRight As Single, OldCenter As Single, OldWidth As Single
        .Size .ScaleX((CalcRect.Right - CalcRect.Left) + (BorderWidth * 2), vbPixels, vbTwips), .ScaleY((CalcRect.Bottom - CalcRect.Top) + (BorderHeight * 2), vbPixels, vbTwips)
            Case vbCenter
                    Exit Sub
                End If
            Case vbRightJustify
                    Exit Sub
                End If
        End Select
    End If
    If Not PropCaption = vbNullString Then DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(PropCaption), -1, RC, Format
    End With
    Works fine so far. Same as the intrinsic Label control.
    On your code was a "bug" when switching AutoSize property back and forth on certain situations. Maybe you can test my code and report if there is an issue or not.

Frenzied Member

For Single line TextBoxW, my customized SolidBrush or ImageBrush works very well. But if the textbox's MultiLine is True, the text got "fuzzy" while I am typing or scrolling. Sir,What is solution?

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...07#post4829207

Works fine so far. Same as the intrinsic Label control.
    On your code was a "bug" when switching AutoSize property back and forth on certain situations. Maybe you can test my code and report if there is an issue or not.
    You know your code far better than I do, and I will be happy to test the code out today. Let me get some of this work caught up and I will test it out and report back :-)

Shane

Ok your code had one problem, when I loaded up a form and control the label showed fine, but when I would change the text from a command button LabelW1.Caption = "Test" (As an example) the label would go blank. I would have to call a refresh to get it to show.

I also needed to get it to work properly when a user had a higher DPI setting set on the system, so say their fonts where set to 100% and they raised it to 125%. The label control would auto size properly, ONLY after you changed the caption or refreshed the control, which would have it recalculate the sizes with the increased font size. The reason why it wouldnt work before a refresh or caption change is when the control is first loaded the auto resize section doesnt get called. (I removed the LabelAutoSizeFlag to fix that)

So I modified your new code, I took care of the control disappearing on text change and I was able to get it to properly show and size when the DPI is above 100% (On the first load and draw of the control) :-) So as of right now it is working perfectly. Let me know what you think.

First, add this to the top of the control code
    Code:
    Private bFirstPaint As Boolean
    Then modified the label control UserControl_Initialize section to this
    Code:
    Private Sub UserControl_Initialize()
    bFirstPaint = False
    DispIDMousePointer = GetDispID(Me, "MousePointer")
    Call SetVTableSubclass(Me, VTableInterfacePerPropertyBrowsing)
    End Sub
    Then finally replace the controls pain section with this
    Code:
    Private Sub UserControl_Paint()
    With UserControl
        Case CCBorderStyleSingle
        Case CCBorderStyleThin
        Case CCBorderStyleSunken
        Case CCBorderStyleRaised
    End Select
    Format = DT_NOCLIP
        Case vbLeftJustify
        Case vbCenter
        Case vbRightJustify
    End Select
    If PropAutoSize = True Then
        Dim Buffer As String, CalcRect As RECT
        Dim lTextWidth As Long
        Buffer = PropCaption

LSet CalcRect = RC
        DrawText .hDC, StrPtr(Buffer), -1, CalcRect, Format Or DT_CALCRECT

Dim OldRight As Single, OldCenter As Single, OldWidth As Single

.Size .ScaleX((CalcRect.Right - CalcRect.Left) + (BorderWidth * 2), vbPixels, vbTwips), .ScaleY((CalcRect.Bottom - CalcRect.Top) + (BorderHeight * 2), vbPixels, vbTwips)
        'no longer needed since we are exiting the sib. Plus if the users API is higher the control wont get updated to the increased text size when the control first loads.
        'LabelAutoSizeFlag = False
            Case vbCenter
                    'safe to call refresh here because it wont get called again unless the position has changed.
                    'when calling refresh the pain is called again, have to be sure not to get stuck in a loop
                    'we have to call a refresh after the control is moved so that it will draw properly.
                    Me.Refresh
                    If bFirstPaint = True Then Exit Sub
                End If
            Case vbRightJustify
                    Me.Refresh
                    DoEvents
                End If
        End Select

End If

bFirstPaint = True

End With
    End Sub
    Shane

Krool, been browsing your control and came across a listview message you haven't implemented yet. Thought I'd give you a brief summary should you want to add it.
    Code:
    Const LVM_MAPINDEXTOID = (LVM_FIRST + 180)
    Const LVM_MAPIDTOINDEX = (LVM_FIRST + 181)
    Those allow you to create a permanent reference to any specific listview item. Requires manifested v6 common controls.

Ideally, you could remove any need to manually cross-reference listview items to classes or collections. Prevents needing to re-key collections due to deletions/additions of listview items. Here's how it works

1) SendMessage LVM_MAPINDEXTOID and pass the 0-bound Listview item as wParam, lParam is always zero
    What is returned is the listview provided permanent cross-reference unique ID (generally same index as wParam, but won't ever change)
    If inadvertently called more than once on the same listview item, will return the same unique ID

2) SendMessage LVM_MAPIDTOINDEX and pass the unique ID as wParam, lParam is always zero.
    What is returned is the current listview item index that was mapped to that ID

How this can be useful? You can create a class of properties and user-defined extended properties. This class can be added to a collection and the collection keyed on the result of LVM_MAPINDEXTOID. Whenever those properties are requested for any specific listview item, you can call LVM_MAPIDTOINDEX to return the unique ID and then use that ID as the key to get the class of properties from your collection. When listview items are deleted, remove the collection item (if it exists) and never have to worry about re-keying since the unique ID is guaranteed to not change during the lifetime of that listview item, regardless of where it ends up in the listview.

The only restriction: not supported with LVS_OWNERDATA

Edited: The Treeview has similar mapping
    Code:
    TVM_MAPHTREEITEMTOACCID=TV_FIRST+43
    TVM_MAPACCIDTOHTREEITEM=TV_FIRST+42
    Seems that if these were used, one would never need individual listitem or treenode classes, other than a list of properties to set/return values at runtime via API calls. Any user-defined properties, like keys, tags, or whatever can be a class created on demand, indexed to the item via those messages and added to a collection. Would think that if say a listview only had 10% of the items having Keys and/or Tag values, only a small listing of classes would need to be created, not one for every item in the list/tree. Just my two-cents.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 2nd, 2015 at 07:03 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SMC1979 View Post
    Code:
            Case vbRightJustify
                    Me.Refresh
                    DoEvents
                End If
        End Select

End If
    Why you put a DoEvents there? (only at vbRightJustify)
    Also a problem by this solution is that if the AutoSize property is True then you cannot modify anymore the width and height manually. Like you could do on VB Label control. That is the purpose of "LabelAutoSizeFlag".
    Possible workaround would be to keep the LabelAutoSizeFlag as placed as before and you call a "LabelW1.AutoSize = True" code manually in your Form_Load to force a re-calc of the autosizing, to respect a possible other DPI value.

@ LaVolpe,
    Thanks for your input and suggestion. I know of those messages you mention. But what to do when comctl v5.8x is used and not v6.0?
    Last edited by Krool; Feb 3rd, 2015 at 02:22 PM.

@ LaVolpe,
    Thanks for your input and suggestion. I know of those messages you mention. But what to do when comctl v5.8x is used and not v6.0?
    Force ppl to manifest their projects

I know what you mean.

Edited: Actually, if the lParam of the LVITEM structure is not exposed to the user, then this can be used same as mapping for Listview items. Simply keep an incrementing value that is assigned to lParam member when user-defined properties are set. To locate the item by the value you placed in the lParam member, send LVM_FINDITEM with its .flags set to search the lParam. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't very similar to how the LVM_MAPxxx messages work. Not familiar enough with treeviews to suggest a similar method as its mapping messages.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 4th, 2015 at 11:29 AM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Just another note & done.

1st. Good suite of controls and lots to learn from.

2nd. I first came here because I wanted to learn more about creating/using the ListView/Treeview controls via APIs & CreateWindowEx, specifically to support unicode. It turns out, may not have been needed when using v5.8+. Simply setting text via SendMessage vs the VB control's ListItem & Node properties will allow unicode. Of course this means that you'd have to use SendMessage to get/set text properties, but in my case, that is far easier than recreating an entire control or two or three.

Why you put a DoEvents there? (only at vbRightJustify)
    Also a problem by this solution is that if the AutoSize property is True then you cannot modify anymore the width and height manually. Like you could do on VB Label control. That is the purpose of "LabelAutoSizeFlag".
    Possible workaround would be to keep the LabelAutoSizeFlag as placed as before and you call a "LabelW1.AutoSize = True" code manually in your Form_Load to force a re-calc of the autosizing, to respect a possible other DPI value.
    Opps lol, I only had those in there as I was testing some different code, forgot to remove the doevents :-)

And yes while you could resize a label in normal vb when the autosize was set to true, the instant you changed the caption or any settings and it would auto resize. But my goal is simply to get the control to auto resize on its first draw incase a users DPI is higher is all. You know better than me the best way to make that happen, so I will trust your judgment on it and try out any code you post :-)

Shane

PowerPoster

Update released with the LabelW auto size fix.

Page 16 of 94 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666 ... LastLast