Thread: vb.net bank system

Lively Member

vb.net bank system

Hi,

I'm trying to make a visual bank system for my RPG game, but I have some issues.Name:  Naamloos.png
Views: 1100
Size:  63.8 KB

as you see on the image if have 9 columns and 4 rows
    Code:
        Public Const BANK_COLUMNS As Integer = 8
        Public Const BANK_ROWS As Integer = 3
    when you click on a item area (the pokeball with black background) it should select that item by drawing a rectangle around it.
    how will I make a script like this? I can't figure out how I'll make it. I've tried alot of things but I failed. (look my script below)

Code:
        Private Sub picBank_MouseDown(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles picBank.MouseDown

Dim X As Integer = CInt(Math.Floor(e.X / 32))
            Dim Y As Integer = CInt(Math.Floor(e.Y / 32))

' Label1.Text = String.Format("{0} - {1}", X, Y)

For column = 0 To BANK_COLUMNS
                For row = 0 To BANK_ROWS
                    '15 + column * 48 / 32
                    If X > (15 + (column * 48) / 32) Then
                        Label1.Text = column.ToString
    DrawRectangle(New Rectangle(0, 0, 32, 32)
                    End If
                Next
            Next

End Sub

Re: vb.net bank system

You don't draw in a MouseDown event handler. You draw in the Paint event handler of the control you want to draw on. If you want to draw around the PictureBox then that means the Paint event of the form, otherwise the Paint event of the PictureBox. As for the actual drawing, use the ControlPaint.DrawSelectionFrame method.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You don't draw in a MouseDown event handler. You draw in the Paint event handler of the control you want to draw on. If you want to draw around the PictureBox then that means the Paint event of the form, otherwise the Paint event of the PictureBox. As for the actual drawing, use the ControlPaint.DrawSelectionFrame method.
    No that's not what I ment. that it will draw in this sub doesnt matter. in this sub it needs the location where it should draw the rectangle.
    the location is everytime around the black box with the pokeball inside. if you click behind the black box with the pokeball, it should know the location where it should draw the rectangle

Your description doesn't really make sense. Presumably you want to draw the selection box just inside or just outside the PictureBox that was clicked, right? If so then you simply handle the Click event of the PictureBoxes and, when one is clicked, assign it to a member variable. In the Paint event handler you're going to draw in you get the value of that variable, i.e. the PictureBox that was "selected" and use its Bounds to decide where to draw.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Your description doesn't really make sense. Presumably you want to draw the selection box just inside or just outside the PictureBox that was clicked, right? If so then you simply handle the Click event of the PictureBoxes and, when one is clicked, assign it to a member variable. In the Paint event handler you're going to draw in you get the value of that variable, i.e. the PictureBox that was "selected" and use its Bounds to decide where to draw.
    Yes, but I need the script for that variable because I can't figure out how to get it

Well firstly, there is no script because VB.NET is not a scripting language. There's code, but surely you already know how to declare a variable and get and set its value. If what you're saying, without actually saying, is that you don't know how to identify the PictureBox to assign to the variable then we can address that. In an event handler, the 'sender' is always the object that raised the event. That means that, in the Click event handler of your PictureBoxes, he 'sender' is the PictureBox that was clicked. If you need more, please be specific.

Addicted Member

Hi, you don't actually say how the graphic you show in the first post is created but if the "pokeballs" are not contained in a PictureBox then it may simplify things if you changed the graphic and used PictureBoxes.

Here is an example of changing the background color to "selected" of one of 10 PictureBoxes. In your case you would be selecting a different image that represented the selected "pokeball"

Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub PictureBox1_MouseClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) _
        Handles PictureBox1.MouseClick, PictureBox2.MouseClick, PictureBox3.MouseClick, PictureBox4.MouseClick, _
        PictureBox5.MouseClick, PictureBox6.MouseClick, PictureBox7.MouseClick, PictureBox8.MouseClick, _
        PictureBox9.MouseClick, PictureBox10.MouseClick

Dim selected_box As PictureBox = DirectCast(sender, PictureBox)

For Each picbox As Control In Me.Controls
                If (TypeOf picbox Is PictureBox) Then
                    picbox.BackColor = Color.Lime
                End If
            Next

selected_box.BackColor = Color.Red

End Sub

End Class

Hyperactive Member

Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but I think you need to have a collection of all the items in the bank. When the user clicks in the bank, get the mouse coords and go through the bank item collection and check to see if the mouse click falls inside of the coords for the item (using the location of the bank item and the width/height of the item). You can have a method for each bank item to "select" it.