Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random BigInteger

Re: Random BigInteger

Now I know what to do if I ever throw a party for you guys....Eats, drinks and pioneering questions
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I've never seen you guys have so much fun with a question
    ...and the OP couldn't care less - he has probably forgotten all about this post

The next project should be to extend bigintegers to bigdecimals (or longdecimals, moreprecisedecimals,...?) and begin implementing the math functions using floating points with a user-specified number of decimals . Maybe I'll make a new user and pose a question about decimals myself and lean back while someone struggles to implement Sin with 10,000 decimals .
    In truth, a mature man who uses hair-oil, unless medicinally , that man has probably got a quoggy spot in him somewhere. As a general rule, he can't amount to much in his totality. (Melville: Moby Dick)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJohnsen View Post
    and lean back while someone struggles to implement Sin with 10,000 decimals .
    Wouldn't that be eighth deadly Sin? BB

...and the OP couldn't care less - he has probably forgotten all about this post

The next project should be to extend bigintegers to bigdecimals (or longdecimals, moreprecisedecimals,...?) and begin implementing the math functions using floating points with a user-specified number of decimals . Maybe I'll make a new user and pose a question about decimals myself and lean back while someone struggles to implement Sin with 10,000 decimals .
    You're really evil
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I remember reading about a guy that spent a great deal of his life calculating PI with something like 700 decimals by hand.
    Lucky for him he was dead before anyone realized, that they were all wrong after a certain point. Iirc they were carved into his tombstone.

Arh - I remembered wrong and mixed up 2 stories. link

Anyways an implementation of a floating-point variable with a user-defined range of decimals could actually be used for something (though not for calculating PI with a record-breaking number of decimals, since that would require more than a trillion decimals and most likely occupy a decent portion of your computers RAM). I'm sure there is something out there already - used by astronomers and the like.
    In truth, a mature man who uses hair-oil, unless medicinally , that man has probably got a quoggy spot in him somewhere. As a general rule, he can't amount to much in his totality. (Melville: Moby Dick)

Speaking of PI, I've always thought it to be a bit revealing about our concept of Math as being imperfect since the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter cannot be perfectly represented.....then again you can say that 22/7 is a perfect a representation and its base 10 decimal units that cannot represent it perfectly.

I remember wondering after seeing the movie "The Sphere" that if we ever came across a perfect sphere, how would we know since we cannot represent PI perfectly....that is assuming PI is significant to determining how close to perfection a sphere is.
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 30th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Well, actually, pi is irrelevant to measuring a perfect sphere or circle, come to that, even if such a thing were possible (which it isn't)! One only has to determine that an infinite number of radii are all exactly equal. Piece of cake!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Speaking of PI, I've always thought it to be a bit revealing about our concept of Math as being imperfect since the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter cannot be perfectly represented.
    I imagine you can find a mathematician or two, that would claim that the infinite sums used to describe/calculate PI, are indeed perfect representations.
    While I am not one of them, I do like the fact, that the field of math has a great number of problems, that aren't easily calculated/proved while being extremely simple to describe. Or things that defy conventional logic. In my opinion, that is what makes the field worth a study.

I imagine you can find a mathematician or two, that would claim that the infinite sums used to describe/calculate PI, are indeed perfect representations.
    Perfect representations of imperfection I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by boops boops View Post
    Hi DBasnett, I would like to suggest what might be a minor improvement (if I'm not getting it wrong altogether).
    Code:
    Dim diffBI As BigInteger = maxBI - minBI
    Do
    '.....
    'get a random value foo of the same bit length of diffBI, in the way you are doing it now.
    '.....
    Loop Until  foo <= diffBI
    Return foo + minBI
    It reduces the amount of randomization needed, although not by much if the minimum is much smaller than the maximum. And it needs only one BigInteger comparison in the Loop instruction. Or not?

BB
    The Do Loop was there for testing. Once you (all of the you's that might read this) are satisfied that the loop only runs once it can be removed.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    The Do Loop was there for testing. Once you (all of the you's that might read this) are satisfied that the loop only runs once it can be removed.
    You can't remove the loop!
    Try this for instance:
    vb.net Code:
    1. 'Generate 100 random (and small) bigintegers to test out bigIrand
    2.         For i As Integer = 1 To 100
    4.             Dim bufmin(_prng.Next(3, 16)) As Byte
    5.             Dim bufmax(_prng.Next(17, 40)) As Byte
    7.             _prng.NextBytes(bufmin)
    8.             _prng.NextBytes(bufmax)
    10.             minBI = BigInteger.Abs(New BigInteger(bufmin))
    11.             maxBI = BigInteger.Abs(New BigInteger(bufmax))
    13.             aMinL = minBI.ToByteArray.Length
    14.             aMaxL = maxBI.ToByteArray.Length
    16.             'Get 100 random bigintegers from bigIrand between min and max
    17.             For j = 1 To 100
    19.                 bigIrand()
    21.             Next
    23.         Next

@tj - for the values given originally you can. If you want to change the min / max then the code should be changed. A more general approach could be derived from what I have done that would over come the need for the loop regardless of the min / max.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

@tj - for the values given originally you can. If you want to change the min / max then the code should be changed. A more general approach could be derived from what I have done that would over come the need for the loop regardless of the min / max.
    I would like to see that

#EDIT: What I mean is: I tried various options of eliminating the loop and failed. Whichever method I tried causesd the statistical output to become non-uniformly distributed. But maybe you have an idea, that my old brain didn't, and I'd like to learn (case old dogs still can).
    Last edited by ThomasJohnsen; Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

It really is about understanding what values can be in the high order byte of the min/max values, and whether or not BigInteger has prefixed the array with a zero byte or not. It appears to do that when the high order byte has bit 7 on.

It really is about understanding what values can be in the high order byte of the min/max values, and whether or not BigInteger has prefixed the array with a zero byte or not. It appears to do that when the high order byte has bit 7 on.
    I know - in my sub, there's a check for the highest byte to be zero. It just a sign-bit that cannot fit into the previous byte (ie. bit 8 set in the byte preceeding it).
    Still - assume that max has bits something like 00001001 in the high-order byte. You will have to generate random bytes for all bytes in the output to avoid addling the statistical output, but you cannot check for size, since your object is to eliminate the loop. So your last byte can have any value 0 <= v <= 255, but the only allowed values are 00001000 or 00000xxx. Aritmetic or bitwise operations will not work since more than one byte-value may produce the same value (ie. statistical data invalid).
    I tried producing one less byte and the using a random value of 0 to high_order_byte - 1 for the high-order byte in max, but that seemed to addle the output as well.

...and after that I drew all blanks

So this isn't done, just a start. Don't know if I need to do everything I am doing. Also, I am trying to allow for negatives

Code:
    Imports System.Numerics

Class BigIntRand
        Shared _PRNG As New Random
        Property min As BigInteger
        Property max As BigInteger
        Property minLen As Integer
        Property maxLen As Integer
        Property minHO As Integer
        Property maxHO As Integer
        Property isMinNeg As Boolean = False
        Property isMaxNeg As Boolean = False

Const hob As Byte = 128 'high order bit
        Const onesC As Integer = &HFFFFFFFF 'ones complement
        Property loops As Integer 'for debugging

Public Sub New(min As BigInteger, max As BigInteger)
            If min + 1 >= max Then Throw New OverflowException
            Me.min = min 'get the min
            Me.max = max 'and max

'setup min variables
            Dim temp() As Byte = Me.min.ToByteArray
            If (temp(temp.Length - 1) And hob) = hob Then 'set negative
                Me.isMinNeg = True
            End If
            Me.minLen = temp.Length 'set length
            Me.minHO = temp(temp.Length - 1) 'convert high order byte to integer
            If Me.isMinNeg Then Me.minHO = (Me.minHO Xor onesC) + 1 'take care of negatives (reverse the bits, and add one)

'do the same setup for max variables
            temp = Me.max.ToByteArray
            If (temp(temp.Length - 1) And hob) = hob Then
                Me.isMaxNeg = True
            End If
            Me.maxLen = temp.Length
            Me.maxHO = temp(temp.Length - 1)
            If Me.isMaxNeg Then Me.maxHO = (Me.maxHO Xor onesC) + 1
        End Sub

Public Function NextBI() As BigInteger
            Dim n() As Byte = New Byte(_PRNG.Next(Me.minLen - 1, Me.maxLen)) {}
            _PRNG.NextBytes(n)
            Dim retval As BigInteger = New BigInteger(n)
            Dim temp() As Byte
            If n.Length = Me.minLen OrElse retval < Me.min Then
                'temp = BitConverter.GetBytes(Me.maxHO)
                If n.Length = Me.minLen Then
                    'minimum length
                Else
                    'new number < minimum
                End If
                retval = New BigInteger(n)
            End If
            If n.Length = Me.maxLen OrElse retval >= Me.max Then
                'temp = BitConverter.GetBytes(Me.minHO)
                If n.Length = Me.maxLen Then
                    'maximum length
                Else
                    'new number >= maximum
                End If
                retval = New BigInteger(n)
            End If
            If retval < Me.min Or retval >= Me.max Then
                Debug.WriteLine(Me.loops)
                Debug.WriteLine(retval < Me.min)
                Debug.WriteLine(retval > Me.max)
                Debug.WriteLine(n.Length)
                Stop
            End If
            Return retval
        End Function

End Class

Public Class Form1
        Dim maxbi As BigInteger
        Private Sub Form1_Shown(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Shown
            maxBI = New BigInteger(2)
            maxBI = BigInteger.Pow(maxBI, 32768)
            Debug.WriteLine("")
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Const tries As Integer = 100000
            Dim testBI As BigInteger
            Dim foo As New BigIntRand(-1.0, maxbi)

Dim stpw As New Stopwatch
            stpw.Reset()
            stpw.Start()
            For x As Integer = 1 To tries
                foo.loops = x
                testBI = foo.NextBI
                If testBI < foo.min Or testBI > foo.max Then
                    Debug.WriteLine("err " & (stpw.ElapsedMilliseconds / tries).ToString & "  " & foo.loops.ToString)
                End If
            Next
            stpw.Stop()
            Debug.WriteLine("fini " & (stpw.ElapsedMilliseconds / tries).ToString)
        End Sub

End Class

I couldn't resist having a go at this myself, and I think I have a solution. It works as far as I can see for any any minimum and maximum, including those stated by the OP, and (so it seems) including negatives. I didn't plan for the negatives, but they just seem to work.

My method is similar to those so far, building an array of random bytes of the same length as BigInteger.ToByteArray. What I do that is different is to zeroise any bits in the most significant byte of the random output which correspond to leading zeros in the most significant byte of the test maximum. That way the random value has the same bit length (not just byte length) as the maximum, greatly reducing the probability that the value will exceed the maximum. This does not affect the randomness of the remaining bits. There is no need to worry about a zero sign byte at the most signficant end since it simply remains unaltered; and there cannot be any leading zeros in the next most significant byte.

As a result, only one pass of the loop is often needed, depending on the chosen maximum and minimum. The OP's limits seem to need only one pass, and the same is true for a range from Long.MinValue (inclusive) to Long.MaxValue (exclusive). Sometimes the average number of loops per biginteger is slightly more than one, showing that the loop is actually needed. In one test, with a range from 0 to &H899999, an average of 1.86 loops were needed. The performance seems satisfactory: with the OP's minimum and maximum, I get an average of 0.12 milliseconds per generated biginteger on a fairly humdrum twincore. Smaller limits are obviously much faster.

Here's the code of the function:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function RandomBigInteger(minimum As BigInteger, maximum As BigInteger) As BigInteger
    2.         Dim biDiff As BigInteger = maximum - minimum
    3.         If biDiff < 0 Then Throw New Exception("Maximum must be more than minimum!")
    5.         Dim biResult As BigInteger
    6.         Dim diffBytes() As Byte = biDiff.ToByteArray
    7.         Dim count As Integer = diffBytes.Count
    8.         Dim resultBytes(count - 1) As Byte
    10.         Do
    11.             'Get a random byte array of the same length as the diffBytes:
    12.             _random.NextBytes(resultBytes)
    14.             'zeroise bits in the most significant byte which are leading zeros in diffBytes:
    15.             For i As Integer = 7 To 0 Step -1
    16.                 Dim bitmask = 1 << i
    17.                 If (diffBytes.Last And bitmask) = bitmask Then
    18.                                         'If the tested bit is 1, there are no more leading zeros:
    19.                     Exit For
    20.                 Else
    21.                                         'Zeroize the tested byte:
    22.                     resultBytes(count - 1) = CByte(resultBytes.Last And (Not bitmask))
    24.                 End If
    25.             Next
    27.             biResult = New BigInteger(resultBytes)
    28.             _loopCount += 1
    30.         Loop Until biResult < biDiff
    32.         Return biResult + minimum
    33.     End Function

Here's a test sub I have been using.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    2.         _loopCount = 0
    3.         Dim minimum As BigInteger
    4.         Dim maximum As BigInteger
    5.         Dim errors As Integer
    6.         Dim positives As Integer
    7.         Dim negatives As Integer
    8.         Dim total As BigInteger
    9.         Dim average As BigInteger
    11.         'OP's test limits:
    12.         Dim a As BigInteger = 2 ^ 31 - 1
    13.         minimum = BigInteger.Pow(a, 33)
    14.         Dim b As Integer = CInt(2 ^ 15)
    15.         maximum = BigInteger.Pow(2, b)
    17.         'alternative test limits:
    18.         minimum = Long.MinValue
    19.         maximum = Long.MaxValue
    20.         'minimum = 0
    21.         'maximum = &H899999
    23.         Dim iterations As Integer = 999999
    25.         Dim sw As Stopwatch = Stopwatch.StartNew
    26.         For i As Integer = 0 To iterations - 1
    27.             Dim bi As BigInteger = RandomBigInteger(minimum, maximum)
    28.             'Console.WriteLine(bi.ToString) '(Comment this line out when performance testing.)
    29.             If bi < minimum OrElse bi >= maximum Then
    30.                 Console.WriteLine("Error: " & bi.ToString)
    31.                 errors += 1
    32.             Else
    33.                 total += bi
    34.             End If
    35.             If bi >= 0 Then positives += 1 Else negatives += 1
    37.         Next
    38.         Console.WriteLine("Loop count per biginteger : " & (_loopCount / iterations).ToString())
    39.         Console.WriteLine((1000 * sw.ElapsedTicks / Stopwatch.Frequency / iterations).ToString("N3") _
    40.            & " average milliseconds per random biginteger")
    41.         Console.WriteLine("Out-of-range errors : " & errors)
    42.         Console.WriteLine("Positives : " & positives)
    43.         Console.WriteLine("Negatives : " & negatives)
    44.         average = BigInteger.Divide(total, iterations - errors)
    45.         Console.WriteLine("Average: " & average.ToString)
    46.         Console.WriteLine("Average as % of maximum: " & (CDec(average) / CDec(maximum)).ToString("P2"))
    47.     End Sub

BB

EDIT: I added some more feedback to the test sub. In particular, there are now some simple tests for skewing. With a symmetrical range (e.g. Long.MinValue to Long.MaxValue) the number of positive results should be close to the number of negatives. With a minimum=0 and a large number of iterations, the average output should be close to 50% of the maximum; this test is limited to Decimal ranges because I haven't thought out how to do a fractional divide of bigintegers.

Last night while watching the TBBT I realized my approach was wrong. Then I read BB's post and saw some things that made sense and caused me to have some other insights. Once again I'd like to point out that this has not been tested for randomness.

edit: One way to speed up the ui loop would be to generate the next random number in a separate thread.

Code:
    Imports System.Numerics

Class BigIntRand
        Shared _PRNG As New Random
        Public min As BigInteger
        Public max As BigInteger
        Private newNum() As Byte
        Private newNumMaxLen As Integer
        Private newNumMinLen As Integer
        Private minIsPos As Boolean
        Property loops As Integer 'for debugging

Public Sub New(min As BigInteger, max As BigInteger)
            Dim foo As BigInteger = max - min 'get the difference
            If foo < 1 Then Throw New OverflowException 'must be a difference
            Me.min = min 'get the min
            Me.max = max 'and max
            If Me.min >= 0 Then Me.minIsPos = True Else Me.minIsPos = False 'is min positive?
            'get lengths
            Me.newNumMaxLen = foo.ToByteArray.Length + 1
            Me.newNumMinLen = min.ToByteArray.Length

'is this needed, I don't think so...
            If Me.newNumMinLen >= Me.newNumMaxLen Then
                Throw New Exception("Logic Error Length") 'remove this if tested
                Me.newNumMaxLen = Me.newNumMinLen + 1
                Me.newNumMinLen = 1
            End If
        End Sub

Shared mask As Byte = 255
        Shared posMask As Byte = 127
        Shared negByte As Byte = 128

Public Function NextBI() As BigInteger
            Array.Resize(Me.newNum, _PRNG.Next(Me.newNumMinLen, Me.newNumMaxLen)) 'size the result
            _PRNG.NextBytes(Me.newNum) 'create new number
            Dim wd As Integer = Me.newNum.Length - 1 'which word
            Dim bit As Integer = 7 'which bit
            Dim newBI As BigInteger = New BigInteger(Me.newNum) + Me.min 'the random BigInteger
            Do While newBI < Me.min Or newBI >= Me.max 'is it in range
                'no
                'if minimum is positive force high order byte positive
                If Me.minIsPos AndAlso ((Me.newNum(wd) And negByte) = negByte) Then
                    Me.newNum(wd) = Me.newNum(wd) And posMask
                    bit = 6
                Else
                    'get rid of high order bits one at a time
                    If wd < 0 Then Throw New Exception("Logic Error - should be > zero")
                    Dim foo As Byte = CByte((1 << bit) Xor mask) 'create mask
                    Me.newNum(wd) = Me.newNum(wd) And foo
                    bit -= 1
                    If bit < 0 Then
                        bit = 7
                        wd -= 1
                    End If
                End If
                newBI = New BigInteger(Me.newNum) + Me.min
            Loop
            Return newBI
        End Function

End Class

Public Class Form1
        Dim maxbi As BigInteger
        Dim minbi As BigInteger

Private Sub Form1_Shown(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Shown
            maxbi = New BigInteger(2)
            minbi = BigInteger.Pow((BigInteger.Pow(maxbi, 31) - 1), 33)
            maxbi = BigInteger.Pow(maxbi, 32768)
            Debug.WriteLine("")
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Const tries As Integer = 100000
            Dim testBI As BigInteger

'starting points
            'Dim foo As New BigIntRand(-32768, 100)
            Dim foo As New BigIntRand(minbi, maxbi)
            'Dim foo As New BigIntRand(-minbi, maxbi)

Dim stpw As New Stopwatch
            stpw.Reset()
            stpw.Start()
            For x As Integer = 1 To tries
                foo.loops = x
                testBI = foo.NextBI
                If testBI < foo.min Or testBI > foo.max Then
                    Debug.WriteLine("err " & (stpw.ElapsedMilliseconds / tries).ToString & "  " & foo.loops.ToString)
                    Stop
                End If
            Next
            stpw.Stop()
            Debug.WriteLine("fini " & (stpw.ElapsedMilliseconds / tries).ToString)
        End Sub

End Class
    Last edited by dbasnett; Nov 2nd, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

has not been tested for randomness
    There is no test for randomness, more or less by definition. All combinations of values being equally probable how could you decide which series of the following is random?

Any 'pattern' you detect is entirely a product of your brain's maddening inability to see anything without imposing a pattern on it. As it is, we know for certain that any computer generated random series is only ever pseudo-random and that applies to this multiple random byte process just as much as to a simple dice simulation. But the point is that you cannot tell the difference. This is why it's very difficult to be certain that dice are loaded or roulette wheels weighted. Even after a large sample you can never say with complete certainty that any series of results, no matter how suspicious, cannot arise from a random selection process.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    There is no test for randomness, more or less by definition. All combinations of values being equally probable how could you decide which series of the following is random?

Any 'pattern' you detect is entirely a product of your brain's maddening inability to see anything without imposing a pattern on it. As it is, we know for certain that any computer generated random series is only ever pseudo-random and that applies to this multiple random byte process just as much as to a simple dice simulation. But the point is that you cannot tell the difference. This is why it's very difficult to be certain that dice are loaded or roulette wheels weighted. Even after a large sample you can never say with complete certainty that any series of results, no matter how suspicious, cannot arise from a random selection process.
    My point was that there are some accepted tests for pseudo randomness, and that I performed none of them using any code I have posted in this thread.

edit: So I ran it with min =1 and max = 7. It was consistently wrong in that it generated significantly more 3's and 4's. Here is a typical run:

Code:
    		(1)	12448	Integer
    		(2)	12450	Integer
    		(3)	25168	Integer
    		(4)	24798	Integer
    		(5)	12558	Integer
    		(6)	12578	Integer
    Last edited by dbasnett; Nov 2nd, 2012 at 11:40 AM.

My point was that there are some accepted tests for pseudo randomness, and that I performed none of them using any code I have posted in this thread.
    Are there? Accepted by whom? No mathematician would commit to the accuracy or usefulness of such a test, especially given that the main problem with pseudo random is that it's too random (for want of a better expression)! Flip a coin enough times and a sequence of 10 consecutive heads is a near certainty but you can keep a pseudo random selector going to the crack of doom and never come close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by boops boops View Post
    My method is similar to those so far, building an array of random bytes of the same length as BigInteger.ToByteArray. What I do that is different is to zeroise any bits in the most significant byte of the random output which correspond to leading zeros in the most significant byte of the test maximum. That way the random value has the same bit length (not just byte length) as the maximum, greatly reducing the probability that the value will exceed the maximum. This does not affect the randomness of the remaining bits.
    What you are doing is the equivalent of what I mentioned in my previous post (ie. using random(0, high_oreder_byte -1) as new highorderbyte). And while I agree with your statement in principle, I found that the statistical data I got, wasn't uniformly distributed among all values within the range. But maybe I was too quick to discard the method - I will have a little look at your version of it in a little while, try some loops over it, and see if you can convince me

#EDIT: Wrote an initial edit here, that I deleted due to it being false! After more testing, I have found out why I discarded the method in the first place. Using a random between 0 and the high-order-byte is NOT the same as the bitmask used by BB (and after seeing my data I banged my head into the wall for even thinking it). BB has it completely right, and I was completely wrong!
    Last edited by ThomasJohnsen; Nov 2nd, 2012 at 01:13 PM.