Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random BigInteger

Random BigInteger

Hi, I was wondering if there's any way to randomly select a BigInteger within a certain range on Visual Basic 2010 (in my case, it's between (2 ^ 31 - 1) ^ 33 and 2 ^ (2 ^ 15)).

Re: Random BigInteger

You can create a BigInteger by passing an array of Bytes to the constructor. You could work out what Bytes represent the limits of your range and then use a Random object to generate the appropriate number of random Bytes. Note that some of the Bytes generated will be able to span the entire 2 - 255 range while others may not, so you may have to use limits on the Next method to control that.

Actually, now that I think about it that would probably not really work because the likelihood of getting a low number would be very small because you'd be unlikely to get all zeroes for the higher-order Bytes. What you probably ought to do is to use Random.NextDouble and then scale that value using the length of your range to select a value within it.

Is there a way to randomly choose one of over 10^9500 integers using a single command on a home computer? What do you think?

You can get a Cray for $200k these days. Maybe you should start saving up?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it that would probably not really work because the likelihood of getting a low number would be very small because you'd be unlikely to get all zeroes for the higher-order Bytes. What you probably ought to do is to use Random.NextDouble and then scale that value using the length of your range to select a value within it.
    He could determine the number of bytes used to generate both bigints and them generate a random number between the 2 (both inclusive). Then all he had to do was to generate random doubles and use bitconverter on them until he had bytes equal to or larger than the number generated first. A bigint constructor would then be used on the resulting byte array.
    As far as I can tell, that would generate all numbers equally likely (but I haven't done the math - it's just a general assessment)

#EDIT: Dooh - why not just use Random.NextBytes? That would seem like the way to go here.
    Last edited by ThomasJohnsen; Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
    In truth, a mature man who uses hair-oil, unless medicinally , that man has probably got a quoggy spot in him somewhere. As a general rule, he can't amount to much in his totality. (Melville: Moby Dick)

That would still exclude more numbers than it included as there would need to be a massive upscaling which (as we know all too well from image scaling) simply increases the gaps between possible values. Mathematics on this scale is just something for which the PC, even with BIgInteger, is simply not designed.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJohnsen View Post
    #EDIT: Dooh - why not just use Random.NextBytes? That would seem like the way to go here.
    Because, as I said earlier, that range would likely lead to some Bytes that must be zero, some that could be anywhere in the range 0 - 255 and some that could only be some part of that range.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    That would still exclude more numbers than it included as there would need to be a massive upscaling which (as we know all too well from image scaling) simply increases the gaps between possible values. Mathematics on this scale is just something for which the PC, even with BIgInteger, is simply not designed.
    Yeah, you're right about the gaps. It might be possible to use an iterative approach, where a Double was used to determine a range and then another random value was generated within that range so on until there were no more gaps between scaled values. Pretty messy though.

I'm not sure that that is right. Suppose you were to get a random ULong. To get any given single digit number (0-9) would be roughly one in a bajillion, but not because the odds of getting all 0s in the upper 7 bytes plus a nibble were low. If you got a number that low, then all those upper bits would have to be 0, which is highly improbable, but not more improbable that drawing the number 0-9 from the range of 0 - 2^64. Those numbers are very improbable simply because ANY given number is very improbable once the range is very large.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

why not just use Random.NextBytes? That would seem like the way to go here.
    For the reason that jmc gave earlier. Not all bytes are equal. The chances of getting a string of zeroes in the high valued bytes (say 1-100 in the sequence) is microscopic compared to the probability of it occurring naturally in a true random choice and given that we're talking a range of over 9800 bytes it's going to be massive skewing toward the higher values.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not sure that that is right. Suppose you were to get a random ULong. To get any given single digit number (0-9) would be roughly one in a bajillion, but not because the odds of getting all 0s in the upper 7 bytes plus a nibble were low. If you got a number that low, then all those upper bits would have to be 0, which is highly improbable, but not more improbable that drawing the number 0-9 from the range of 0 - 2^64. Those numbers are very improbable simply because ANY given number is very improbable once the range is very large.
    Even when I was posting that I was thinking "is that right" but it's 4 AM here and I can't really think too hard on anything. I should be in bed but I thought I'd stay up and play with my shiny new Office 2013 to see what's new.

You are a notable insomniac. However, evaluating new software on a lack of sleep is always risky: No, the pink elephant icons are NOT part of the feature set.

Oh pooh! You're right, of course (I've just done the math!). Typical. The one time I agree with jmc and he's wrong!

Is the OP asking for numbers between 8.9884656743115795386465259539451e+307 and 1.415461031044954789001553027745e+9864?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Oh pooh! You're right, of course (I've just done the math!). Typical. The one time I agree with jmc and he's wrong!
    And by extension, the only time I've been wrong, obviously.

Ok, I'm getting around .13 secs to fill a 9850 byte array and convert it to a BigInteger so I suppose it's just about practical if you don't overdo it. Of course that doesn't take any account of the need to adjust for ranges such as the one proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    Is the OP asking for numbers between 8.9884656743115795386465259539451e+307 and 1.415461031044954789001553027745e+9864?
    Indeed! Makes the lottery look like a coin toss!

Why 9850? IF the upper range is 2^32768 it won't take 9850 bytes.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

The minimum number fits in a byte array of 129 bytes and the maximum fits into an array of 4097, if I have done my math correctly. So if we create an array of random length between those values, and then set each bit randomly, is it random?

Code:
    Imports System.Numerics
    Public Class Form1
        Dim _prng As New Random
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            For x As Integer = 1 To 100
                Debug.WriteLine("")
                Debug.WriteLine(x)
                amThisRandomQ()
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub amThisRandomQ()
            Dim minBI As New BigInteger(8.98846567431158E+307)
            Dim maxBI As New BigInteger(2)
            maxBI = BigInteger.Pow(maxBI, 32768)
            'Debug.WriteLine(minBI.ToByteArray.Length)
            'Debug.WriteLine(maxBI.ToByteArray.Length)
            Dim foo As New BigInteger
            Dim stpw As New Stopwatch
            Do
                '129 bytes to 4097
                Dim n() As Byte = New Byte(_prng.Next(129, 4098)) {}
                stpw.Reset()
                stpw.Start()
                'what if _prng.NextBytes(n)  see *** near end of for loop
                For y As Integer = 0 To n.Length - 1
                    Dim nb As Byte = CByte(_prng.Next(0, 2))
                    For x As Integer = 1 To 7
                        nb = nb Or CByte(_prng.Next(0, 2) << x)
                    Next
                    '*** what if n(y) = n(y) Xor nb instead of n(y) = nb
                    n(y) = nb
                Next
                stpw.Stop()
                foo = BigInteger.Abs(New BigInteger(n))
            Loop Until foo >= minBI AndAlso foo <= maxBI
            Debug.WriteLine(stpw.Elapsed.ToString)
            Debug.WriteLine(foo.ToString)
        End Sub
    End Class
    Last edited by dbasnett; Oct 26th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

It should be.

Would you feel bad about creating an F# library and using that in your code?

Code:
    namespace RandomBigInt

type FsBigInteger() =
        static let internalRandom = new System.Random()

/// Returns a BigInteger random number of the specified number of bytes.
        static member Random(numBytes:int, rand:System.Random) =
            let r = if rand=null then internalRandom else rand
            let bytes : byte[] = Array.zeroCreate (numBytes+1)
            r.NextBytes(bytes)
            bytes.[numBytes] <- 0uy
            bigint bytes

/// Returns a BigInteger random number from 0 (inclusive) to max (exclusive).
        static member Random(max:bigint, rand:System.Random) =
            let rec getNumBytesInRange num bytes = if max < num then bytes else getNumBytesInRange (num * 256I) bytes+1
            let bytesNeeded = getNumBytesInRange 256I 1
            FsBigInteger.Random(bytesNeeded, rand) % max

/// Returns a BigInteger random number from min (inclusive) to max (exclusive).
        static member Random(min:bigint, max:bigint) =
            FsBigInteger.Random(max - min, internalRandom) + min

/// Returns a BigInteger random number from min (inclusive) to max (exclusive).
        static member Random(min:bigint, max:bigint, rand:System.Random) =
            FsBigInteger.Random(max - min, rand) + min
    vb.net Code:
    1. Imports RandomBigInt
    2. Imports System.Numerics
    4. Public Class Form1
    6.     Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    8.         Dim min = BigInteger.Pow(BigInteger.Pow(2, 31) - 1, 33)
    9.         Dim max = BigInteger.Pow(2, BigInteger.Pow(2, 15))
    11.         Dim r As BigInteger = FsBigInteger.Random(min, max)
    13.     End Sub
    15. End Class
    This pattern in common to all great programmers I know: they're not experts in something as much as experts in becoming experts in something.

The best programming advice I ever got was to spend my entire career becoming educable. And I suggest you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MattP View Post
    Would you feel bad about creating an F# library and using that in your code?
    As far as I can tell (from a quick glance never having delved into F#) this is similar to the naive approach, like for instance:

vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function random_pos_bigint(ByVal sMax As BigInteger) As BigInteger
    3.         Static rnd As New Random
    5.         If sMax.Sign <> 1 Then Throw New ArgumentOutOfRangeException("sMax", "Parameter must be positive.")
    7.         Dim vMaxBytes() As Byte = sMax.ToByteArray
    8.         Dim vBuffer(vMaxBytes.Length) As Byte 'Array one larger in order to have leading 0 at pos 0
    9.         Dim i As Integer = vMaxBytes.Length - 1 'Index of high-order byte in vMaxBytes
    11.         'Generate random bytes in the buffer.
    12.         rnd.NextBytes(vBuffer)
    14.         'Zero high-order byte to indicate positive bigint
    15.         vBuffer(vMaxBytes.Length) = 0
    17.         'Remove optional positive sign and all possible leading zeros.
    18.         While vMaxBytes(i) = 0
    20.             vBuffer(i) = 0
    21.             i -= 1
    23.         End While
    25.         'Highest-order byte is generated randomly.
    26.         vBuffer(i) = Convert.ToByte(rnd.Next(vMaxBytes(i)))
    28.         Return New BigInteger(vBuffer)
    30.     End Function

It has the problem of not being able to generate all bigintegers with even likelyhood, since the highest order byte is generated non-inclusive (ie. generating random number in range 0 to 1000 will generate number in the range 0 to 767 with even likelyhood and never integers larger than 767). Adding one (ie. making the high-order byte inclusive) will ofc generate integers in the range 0 to 1024 with even likelyhood when asked for integers in range 0 to 1000.
    But F# may be a solution - like I said I cannot really determine if your code accounts for that or not, since I have no experience using F#.

Tom

#EDIT: I tried a naive fix (on my naive sub) and replaced 'vBuffer(i) = Convert.ToByte(rnd.Next(vMaxBytes(i)))' (exclusive) with:
    vb.net Code:
    1. vBuffer(i) = Convert.ToByte(rnd.Next(vMaxBytes(i) + 1))
    3.         While vBuffer(i) = vMaxBytes(i) AndAlso i > 0
    5.             i -= 1
    7.             vBuffer(i) = Convert.ToByte(rnd.Next(vMaxBytes(i) + 1))
    9.         End While
    and it still dosen't generate numbers with equal randomness. The fewer combinations available with a randomly selected high-order byte equal to the initial high-order byte, makes my 'random' function favor those slightly. This effect could be reduced by randomizing over multiple high-order bytes, but McIlhinney was right in his initial assumption, that generating a random-function for big integers isn't trivial (unless ofc. Matt's solution works, in which case the problem has already been solved).
    Last edited by ThomasJohnsen; Oct 26th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
    In truth, a mature man who uses hair-oil, unless medicinally , that man has probably got a quoggy spot in him somewhere. As a general rule, he can't amount to much in his totality. (Melville: Moby Dick)

It should be.
    The problem I see is testing the randomness because of the size of the numbers. Maybe Knuth's TAOCP will shed some light on this.

@ThomasJohnsen - You said "...and it still dosen't generate numbers with equal randomness." How are you checking?
    Last edited by dbasnett; Oct 26th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

With a range that big, checking exhaustively should be pretty nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    @ThomasJohnsen - You said "...and it still dosen't generate numbers with equal randomness." How are you checking?
    I wasn't talking about your code or Matt's code, but my own sad version. Generating alot of random numbers within a small range made it clear really quickly, that my algorithm is flawed. I tried a couple of different versions of it, but every one was flawed. The problem lies in the highest byte. To illustrate consider standard base-10 notation and let us assume WLOG, that we are able to generate true random numbers in the range 0-9 (one such random digit denoted {R}), and also in any range 0 - x, x in {1, ..., 9} denoted {x}.

If we define Random(1000) = {R}{R}{R}, we would get equally distributed random numbers between 0 and 999 each equally likely.

But consider Random(44)

Defining it as Random(44) = {4}{4} will clearly lead to gaps (ie. never produce 38 for instance).

Thus we might choose to define it as:
    Let a = {4}
    If a = 4 then (*) Random(44) = a{4} else (**) Random(44) = a{9}

Each of a in {0, 1, 2, 3, 4} will be equally likely meaning that (*) a{4} will be chosen in 20% of the traverses leading to a 4% chance of Random(44) generating each of {40, 41, 42, 43, 44}. But (**) a{9} will be chosen in 80% of the traverses leading to a 2% chance of Random(44) generating each of {0, 1, ..., 39}, thus making numbers with high-order digit of 4 twice as likely to be generated.

I tried various variations relying on mod and similar, but wasn't able to create code for a version with a uniform probability for each number within the range.

#EDIT: Your bit version should exhibit the same problems as my byte version or the example base-10 version. The highest order bit/byte/digit will be generated equally likely as the other bits/bytes/digits but have a smaller range of outcomes, thus leading to a higher chance of those outcomes (though with extremely large numbers and a large base of maybe 64 bits, the difference may not be all that noticeable).

#EDIT2: The best version, I was able to come up with (and it seems to generate true random numbers - an induction proof based on the number of digits in a base B appears to be at least semi-doable (the fact that (1/dn)^i converges to zero for i increasing is key)), is rather ugly:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function random_pos_bigint(ByVal sMax As BigInteger) As BigInteger
    3.         Static rnd As New Random
    5.         If sMax.Sign <> 1 Then Throw New ArgumentOutOfRangeException("sMax", "Parameter must be positive.")
    7.         Dim vMaxBytes() As Byte = sMax.ToByteArray
    8.         Dim vBuffer(vMaxBytes.Length) As Byte 'Array one larger in order to have leading 0 at pos 0
    9.         Dim rVal As BigInteger
    11.         'Fill buffer with random bytes.
    12.         rnd.NextBytes(vBuffer)
    14.         'Zero highest-order byte to indicate positive bigint
    15.         vBuffer(vMaxBytes.Length) = 0
    17.         'Eliminate all possible leading zeros
    18.         i = vMaxBytes.Length - 1
    19.         While vMaxBytes(i) = 0
    20.             vBuffer(i) = 0
    21.             i -= 1
    22.         End While
    24.         'High-order byte is randomly generated between 0 and the high-order byte of sMax (inclusive)
    25.         vBuffer(i) = rnd.Next(vMaxBytes(i) + 1)
    27.         'Generate a bigint from the buffer.
    28.         rVal = New BigInteger(vBuffer)
    30.         'If the randomly generated bigint is >= sMax a new is generated recursively.
    31.         If rVal.CompareTo(sMax) > -1 Then Return random_pos_bigint(sMax)
    33.         Return rVal
    35.     End Function
    or in words:
    Random(dn...d2d1d0) on a number in base B with digits di in {0, 1, ..., B-1} and WLOG dn > 0, is defined by
    Code:
    While True
       ai = Random(B) for i < n
       an = Random(dn + 1)

If an...a2a1a0 < dn...d2d1d0 Then Return an...a2a1a0
    End While
    Last edited by ThomasJohnsen; Oct 27th, 2012 at 03:17 AM.