Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed - Again

Frenzied Member

Re: Speed - Again

I haven't visited the forums in about a week due to the holiday weekend, being busy with other things, etc., but coming back today ... boy what a let down. Experiencing 30 to 60+ second page load times, it seems like things are getting worse...

PowerPoster

It is starting to look like we are stuck with the poor and inconsistant performance. Some days it is slow other days it is very slow and sometimes it is totally unbearable. Even when the pages load at the fastest speed I have saw sice the upgrade they are still slow and other times they are 10 - 100 times slower than the normal slow. IMO loading these pages should never take more than 10-15 seconds and that would be slow but we almost never see that good a speed anymore yet other forums which are running vBulletin can load the posts in 1-3 seconds more often than not.

Edit: Took me 3 attempts to get the edit window to show with the text of my post in it. 1st try it did not show at all, 2nd try it showed but was empty. 3rd try I am able to type:

I don't know if this will help but I have noticed that anytime this forum is slow or experiencing problems Code Guru is also experiencing those same problems. Sometimes it seems that both forums are sharing a dail up modem
    Last edited by DataMiser; Nov 27th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Lively Member

Is is slowwww again!! I mean really slow
    Best Regards

So here we go again. I am going to post this and then edit it with a file of the activity that went on to get to this thread.

edit: attached

Would it be to much to ask if someone responsible for this site could tell us what is going on? Is it ever going to be fixed?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Lively Member

Is it fast for you? The speed is ok now again. But yesterday was terrible!
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by NiTrOwow View Post
    Is it fast for you? The speed is ok now again. But yesterday was terrible!
    Up until about 30 minutes ago it was awful. No it seems OK.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

I discussed this with our development manager yesterday. He is building a new plan to dig into the vBulletin code again. My inclination is that there is some ad locking or something happening in the code somewhere. The randomness of the slowdowns makes this trickier to find.

I'll point out the trace dump in this thread as something for htem to look at as well (if they haven't arleady seen it).

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I discussed this with our development manager yesterday. He is building a new plan to dig into the vBulletin code again. My inclination is that there is some ad locking or something happening in the code somewhere. The randomness of the slowdowns makes this trickier to find.

I'll point out the trace dump in this thread as something for htem to look at as well (if they haven't arleady seen it).
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I hope that you will keep us up to date.

PowerPoster

The speed is horrible this morning, taking much longer to load each page than to read them. Pretty much unusable at this point.
    Hard to believe that they have not found and corrected the problem already. I would hate to think it would take me even half this long to solve an issue like this. My customers would all jump ship if so.

I enjoy the forums but this is just so agravating waiting and waiting and waiting where even on the best days the pages take several seconds and on the worst days take minutes if they load at all.

May be time to refresh the programming staff.

The performance this morning has been the worst I have seen to date. However, there does appear to be a pattern forming. For me at least, on the days that I have seen horrible performance (many seconds to many minutes to load a page), the time that this has happened has all been around 10-12 MST, which would mean about 12-2 Eastern.

I don't have the feeling that this has happened every day, but I can't be certain that isn't a sampling error. I can't say definitively that I have been on the forum every weekday during those hours (though, based on my number of posts, I kind of suspect that I have).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I just pinged both, the dev and IT managers responsble.....
    (again)

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

At 1300 MST, performance was back to normal (and I am stuffed with pizza, so I can't say what happened in the middle).

This seems to support my observation that there is a narrow window of time when I, at least, am seeing poor performance. The window is an odd one, too, as it is mid-day on the east coast and mid-morning on the west coast.

PowerPoster

It does seem to be at its worst in the mornings to mid afternoon here on the east coast but I have also had issues at all hours. This morning was the worst yet. I was online from around 12:30 until 2:00 and during that time I only managed to read 3 posts and reply twice both of which resulted in a db error and almost every page load was taking several minutes.

I see the site is back up. Earlier I just gave up.

Yesterday was ok, relatively speaking. But today it is slow again. I long for the day where this site performs half as well as it used to.

PowerPoster

Both this site and Code Guru were apparently offline in the early am this morning. I tried to login around 1:30 AM EST and when I tried this site all I got was the generic IE error page that it could not connect. When I tried to login to Code Guru I got a message that the request could not be processed along with a long error code of some sort. Of course when I tried a different site it connected right away.

So far the site seems to be working ok now.

Well I got a couple time outs yesterday which accompanied a period where I couldn't get on due to repeated time outs.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Off and on periods of slowness.

Frenzied Member

The forum speed has been excellent for 3 straight days now ... back to pre-update speeds I would say. Have the devs finally figured it out?

Quote Originally Posted by nbrege View Post
    The forum speed has been excellent for 3 straight days now ... back to pre-update speeds I would say. Have the devs finally figured it out?
    You jinxed it . Suddenly I am getting slow response and it seems to be waiting on
    --
    [13:15:31.767] GET http://e1.cdn.qnsr.com/cgi/d/2305/0/...s?;z=686651085 [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 30680ms]

I've seen the best performance I can ever remember seeing for the last few days. The one or two slow posts that occured always ended up with the duplicate message, so there is still some issue with that, but otherwise the speed is really zippy, for me.

It seems slow again. Many good days, and this morning it started slowing down. Now it is worse.

Been off vbforums for a while (since the upgrade - couldn't stand the performance issue back then), came back today and I don't notice any improvement. Still slow. Still having database errors. Still double posting. Every post I posted today received "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts..." message. Is it only me or does anyone else experiences the same?
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    Been off vbforums for a while (since the upgrade - couldn't stand the performance issue back then), came back today and I don't notice any improvement. Still slow. Still having database errors. Still double posting. Every post I posted today received "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts..." message. Is it only me or does anyone else experiences the same?
    There were times when the performance was back to normal but it has been sporadic. It seems every week it switches between poor and good performance. Last week performance was superb.....for the most part. I haven't seen a db error in a couple weeks but I got that wait 30 seconds message just yesterday.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Yesterday when I first logged in it was very slow and then the first post I tried to view generate a database error after that it seemed fine. This morning there seems to be an issue with typing where the text is very slow to appear at times. I am not a very good nor very fast typist but this morning I am able to get ahead of the text display while typing. Sometimes when I hit a key it is taking up to 1 second for the character to appear in the window and other time it appears quickly. Sometimes as I type I will complete a word and none of the characters have appeared then they all appear at once. Strange ....

As of right now the speed is phenomenal.....Sadly, I expect this to last only a few hours.

I might have asked this before...
    When you find the speed to slow down, please let me know what browser you are using. For example, I just had IE take a bit of time to load the page, but FireFox loaded a lot quicker.

Thanks,

Brad!

(I just refreshed the page and Firefix is twice as fast as IE.)
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I use FireFox only.

PowerPoster

Most of the time I am using IE8 but I also use Firefox sometimes depending on which computer I use to log in. I have saw issues with both of them though at first it did seem that firefox was doing better.

I use only Firefox... And yes, performance is a lot better today... Haven't got any database errors or double postings yet. Slow loading still happens once in every while, but I can deal with that.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowww

It's been absolutely dragging this morning (UK time). I'm using IE8. It's been taking upwards of 20 mintues to open a page sometimes (at which point I've generally given up). In fact, I've been trying to post this all morning.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Banned

vps port speed needs upgrading , to many connections to the site is lagging it out.

The forum has been well behaved for me in the last few days. Speed is reasonably OK. Still got a hiccup once every while but it could be issues with my LAN or internet connection and not VBF entirely. No database errors. No double postings.
    - Abraham Lincoln -