Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed - Again

Hybrid View

Speed - Again

Once again the system is loading pages slow. I tried to load a page a couple of times, and then finally switched to another page. My opinion is that these times are bad, but it may be just me.

Code:
    [13:04:19.276] GET http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?695951-RESOLVED-Changing-e.KeyCode-on-the-fly [85ms]
    --
    [13:05:27.840] GET http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?695951-RESOLVED-Changing-e.KeyCode-on-the-fly [82ms]
    --
    [13:05:37.034] GET http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?695951-RESOLVED-Changing-e.KeyCode-on-the-fly [73ms]
    --
    [13:05:50.102] GET http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25 [HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently 9547ms]
    --
    [13:05:59.647] GET http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?25-Visual-Basic-.NET [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 6954ms]
    --
    [13:06:06.073] GET http://www.vbforums.com/clientscript/yui/yuiloader-dom-event/yuiloader-dom-event.js?v=415 [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 781ms]
    [13:06:06.074] GET http://www.vbforums.com/clientscript/yui/connection/connection-min.js?v=415 [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 194ms]
    [13:06:06.075] GET http://www.vbforums.com/clientscript/vbulletin-core.js?v=415 [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 683ms]
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Re: Speed - Again

Is the speed problem ever going to be resolved? The forum is slow again. Is anyone looking at this problem?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

I am facing very similar issues, but I thought that's caused by the fact that I am on a VPN
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

So here we go again. I am going to post this and then edit it with a file of the activity that went on to get to this thread.

edit: attached

Would it be to much to ask if someone responsible for this site could tell us what is going on? Is it ever going to be fixed?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lively Member

Is it fast for you? The speed is ok now again. But yesterday was terrible!
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by NiTrOwow View Post
    Is it fast for you? The speed is ok now again. But yesterday was terrible!
    Up until about 30 minutes ago it was awful. No it seems OK.

Ahh...... I was hoping for no complaints today. My hopes are dashed.

We made another change yesterday -- moved the CSS out of the database or something like that. There was hope that this would help with the speed, but it seems it didn't.

There is another change happening tomorrow. Let's see how things operate on Friday.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am on high speed connection and still have issues so you are not alone. 3 months (!) since upgrade and we still talking about performance.
    You know, I don't get it: wasn't it ever tested before making decision? What was the point to upgrade besides of course "too many forums; easy maintenance; outdated software", etc things we already know.
    This is perfect example of well known receipe: "don't fix it if ain't broken". Sorry, but I coudn't resist... Is there any way to downgrade (not joking)?

I'm on a moderate speed connection, and it's been days since I've seen a slowdown or other issue. Things are getting better.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm on a moderate speed connection, and it's been days since I've seen a slowdown or other issue. Things are getting better.
    I agree, things seem better.

RB is located in New Amsterdam! He's still cleaning flounder out of his computer, yet he expects performance to be good?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

We shifted things off of servers a week or so ago. Is anyone other than RB having noteable speed issues still?

Rhino - We actually shifted off of servers in the Eastern United States to servers in the Western United States. This was to get our servers and systems closer to our main office. The old servers were a part of our previous owners systems and we had a deadline to get off of them. Because we were moving servers, it made logical sense to go ahead and upgrade the forums to gain security and other benefits. There was some testing done; however, there was no easy way to test the size of forums we have. Additionally, other upgraded forums dont' seem to have had the same speed impact we had.

Regardless, a lot has been done to smooth things out. Right now, I'm seeing very few complaints about the database errors or speed. If a couple more people indicate that the speed is still off, then it makes it easier for me to say it is on our side and not a client-side issue.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I still get intermittent speed problems. Most of the times it runs OK but it's still hanging from time to time. It seems to be worst when I'm posting a reply. I'll hit the post button and watch the little spinny wheel of frustration for a few minutes before just giving up. If I navigate back my post is there.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

An hour or two ago it was taking me over a minute to load pages from this site... whereas pages of other sites (with similar complexity) were loading for me in under 2 seconds.

(edit: it is currently taking around 15 seconds to load pages, including this one)

Right now I am in the office on super fast network; my hardware isn't latest and greatest but quite speedy as well.
    However, the slowness is still noticeable - it may take anywhere from 15 seconds (like SI mentioned) to a minute and more (some times) to load the page.
    Refresh rate of almost every page is horrible - most often you can sit and "enjoy" watching every button (above the edit box) refreshing especially after clicking the "edit post".
    These are just high level observations...

edit: it took 73 seconds to load main page just now; it took about 35 seconds to get to a point when I was able to edit this post...

As of the time of this post, the speed is acceptable and has been so for some time. Its also been very consistent. Good job guys.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Posting replies has been terrible this morning. (20-30 seconds)

Overall this has just been bad today. Is it just me?