Thread: [VB2008] milisecond

[VB2008] milisecond

i have a code for stopwatch, but my question is: why does the miliseconds run very slow? here's my code:
    Code:
    Public Class stopwatch_frm
        Dim condition As Boolean = True
        Dim miliseconds As Integer = 0
        Dim seconds As Integer = 1
        Dim minutes As Integer = 1

Private Sub btn_start_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn_start.Click
            Timer1.Enabled = True
        End Sub
        Private Sub btn_pause_resume_click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn_pause_resume.Click
            'pause
            If condition Then
                Timer1.Dispose()
                condition = False
                btn_pause_resume.Text = "Resume"
            Else
                'resume
                Timer1.Enabled = True
                btn_pause_resume.Text = "Pause"
                condition = True
            End If

End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            If miliseconds < 10 Then
                lbl_milisec.Text = "0" & miliseconds
            ElseIf miliseconds < 100 Then
                lbl_milisec.Text = miliseconds
            Else
                lbl_milisec.Text = "00"
                If seconds < 10 Then
                    lbl_sec.Text = "0" & seconds
                    seconds = seconds + 1
                ElseIf seconds < 60 Then
                    lbl_sec.Text = seconds
                    seconds = seconds + 1
                Else
                    lbl_sec.Text = "00"
                    seconds = 1
                End If
                miliseconds = 0
                Exit Sub
            End If
            miliseconds = miliseconds + 1
        End Sub
    End Class
    here is the design:
    Name:  stopwatch.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  120.7 KB

Re: [VB2008] milisecond

Timer interval set to 1? The absolute minimum recommended by Microsoft is 35. Most people reckon 50. I wouldn't go below 100 myself.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

I think you forgot to Timer1.Interval which may cause the problem. In the Page Load Set the Timer Interval as

Timer1.Interval=1000

Which will set the tick event to fire every 1 second
    Please mark you thread resolved using the Thread Tools as shown

i forgot to say that i set the interval to 10 miliseconds per tick (for miliseconds counter)... and even, when the counter speed seems fail, i set it to 1 milisecond for each tick! and yet it still slow

Quote Originally Posted by chipp View Post
    i forgot to say that i set the interval to 10 miliseconds per tick (for miliseconds counter)... and even, when the counter speed seems fail, i set it to 1 milisecond for each tick! and yet it still slow
    Er yes. That's what I thought. The Timer simply cannot be relied upon at such high frequency. I would go to interval =100 which will give you an accuracy to .1 of a second only but will run at the correct speed.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

so you mean that it's impossible to using 2 digits miliseconds? i'm wondering, then why MS would allow us to set the interval from 1 - 1000?

PowerPoster

Where did you get the notion that the setting is 1-1000? I'm not sure if the upper limit is still the same as it was in VB6 but surely it is higher than 1000, I have used values up to 30000 in the past and do not use values below 100

I don't know. Perhaps they just like messing with our heads? But from the horse's mouth ...

The Windows Forms Timer component is single-threaded, and is limited to an accuracy of 55 milliseconds. If you require a multithreaded timer with greater accuracy, use the Timer class in the System.Timers namespace.
    ... it seems they've actually increased the limit since last I looked!

I don't know. Perhaps they just like messing with our heads?
    my opinion, that it just MS's (another) mistake(s)...

I'm pretty sure that the multithreaded timer doesn't get down to 1 millisecond, either.

The interval property on the timer is an Integer, and I believe that the full range of an Integer is allowed, so the top value is WAY above 1000.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I'm not really sure why someone would even want a display done to 10 miliseconds to be updated in real time. It would go so fast that the last digit would just be a blur and even the first one would be hard to read as it would be changing 10 times a second in real time.

Frenzied Member

Apart from the inaccuracies of the Timer, do you realise you are counting in centiseconds, not milliseconds? You are updating the Seconds label after 100 "Ticks". If the timer was capable of raising a Tick event every millisecond, your stopwatch would be running 10 times too fast. Is that why you set the interval to 10? (miliseconds would still be the wrong name for the counter variable, though). The fact that it's running slow just confirms that the Timer Tick is actually occurring at an interval greater than 10 milliseconds. And updating a counter every Tick and then using that counter as a measurement of time just amplifies the inaccuracies.

I'd recommend that you use the StopWatch Class. Create a new StopWatch object, set your Timer interval somewhere between 50 and 100 (or more), and start the StopWatch off when you enable your Timer. Then in your Timer Tick event handler, update your labels with values derived from the StopWatch's Elapsed property (which is a TimeSpan).

Something like:
    Code:
    Private sw As Stopwatch

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Timer1.Interval = 75
        sw = Stopwatch.StartNew
        Timer1.Enabled = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick

Dim elapsedTime As TimeSpan
        elapsedTime = sw.Elapsed

If seconds <> elapsedTime.Seconds Then
            seconds = elapsedTime.Seconds
            lbl_sec.Text = seconds.ToString("00")
        End If

lbl_milisec.Text = elapsedTime.Milliseconds.ToString("000")

End Sub
    Last edited by Inferrd; Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferrd View Post
    Apart from the inaccuracies of the Timer, do you realise you are counting in centiseconds, not milliseconds? You are updating the Seconds label after 100 "Ticks". If the timer was capable of raising a Tick event every millisecond, your stopwatch would be running 10 times too fast. Is that why you set the interval to 10? (miliseconds would still be the wrong name for the counter variable, though).
    Are you just being centipedantic with this?

The stopwatch is an excellent tool for timing things, though, and really is that accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by chipp View Post
    my opinion, that it just MS's (another) mistake(s)...
    Not at all. That's like saying a pickaxe manufacturer has made a mistake because you can't use their tools to darn a sock. The timer control is designed for a single purpose, regularly repeated actions, with relatively low frequency. Higher frequencies and more accurate timing are perfectly achievable in VB using the appropriate tools and methods.

I think it would have been reasonable to set the lower limit at something greater than 1, but they may not have known what to set it at. After all, the minimum interval is highly variable. All that happens when the timer ticks is that a message is posted to the queue. If your app is performing a long running operation, the event won't be processed until the process pumps the queue. Therefore, even if you set the interval at 1000, the timer may not tick once a second. In fact, if you do it just right, it won't tick at all.

The timer's nice, and really convenient, but it does have some limitations. I would agree that they could have just made the minimum 50 and been done with it (or even 100), but I think that's pretty minor.

Asking for a timer that's accurate down to 1 ms on a preemptive multi-threaded OS is quite unreasonable. You want anything close to that you might as well write your own OS. That way you could dedicate every processor cycle to executing your code and handling timer interrupts.

[Edit]

Here is an extract from here that shows where timers ultimately derives. Note it says in there that these interrupts are generated every 55ms:-
    2) The timer interrupt (int 08h)

I'll assume you've all played old games, back in the days where gameplay and plot were far more important that fancy graphics and nice box-sets... (although these concepts are all important and shouldn't be mutually exclusive one can't help but notice that priorities shifted to uncanny and greedy grounds). Game programmers of the period, often one-man teams with lots of imagination, were sometimes confronted with the problem of implementing certain delays in the game (damn, that enemy plane is closing in too fast... evasive maneuvers... I'll ne...arghhhhhhh). Often, dummy loops of the following form were employed :

for(i=0;i<10000;i++);

This seemed to work. However, this kind of work-around has a significant disadvantage : It relies on processor speed. What a surprise to find out that the powerful hero Kill Them All of our favourite platform game, so deft and gracious on our 20MHZ i386, now, with a 600MHZ Pentium III running a GeForce beast, helplessly dashes against every kind of inoffensive and pitiful obstacle before you even can operate a single key!

Summarizing, we need a way to generate exactly defined time intervals. And what better way than by hardware? Thus, the PC's designers have implemented one (PC/XT and most ATs) or sometimes two (some new ATs or EISA) Programmable Interval Timers (PITs).

The PIT 8253/8254 generates programmable time intervals from an external clock signal of a crystal oscillator that are defined independently from the CPU. It's very flexible and has six modes of operation in all (these modes will not be explained in this tutorial, maybe in a future less generic one).

The 8253/8254 chip comprises three independently and separately programmable counters 0-2, each of which is 16 bits wide. Each counter, or channel, is supplied with its own clock signal (CLK0-CLK2) which serves as the time base for each counter. Each channel is responsible for a different task on the PC :

Channel 0 : This channel is responsible for updating the system clock, generating interrupts every 55ms (approximately). This is about once every 1/18.2 seconds. Sometimes this is called the "eighteenth second clock" but we will refer to it as the timer interrupt. We'll discuss this channel in more detail in a little while.

Channel 1 : This channel controls DMA memory refreshing, instructing all 18 CLK cycles on a DMA chip to carry out a dummy read cycle. In the course of this dummy cycle, data is read from memory onto the data bus and the address buffers, and address decoders and sense amplifiers in the memory chips are activated to refresh one memory cell row. But the data is not read by any peripheral. Instead, it's discarded in the next bus cycle. This is done because DRAM's memory cells must be periodically refreshed or they quickly lose their charge. One interesting thing that should be noted is that most system designers lay out the memory refresh rather carefully, that is, the memory is refreshed more often that is really necessary. This so-called refresh overhead can reach 10% or more. Reprogramming channel 1 to refresh memory at a slower rate can sometimes speed up system performance, but don't overdue it or data losses might incur (giving rise to parity errors upon reading main memory).

Channel 2 : This channel is dedicated to the tone frequency generation for the installed speaker. It's normally programmed to generate a square wave so a continuous tone is heard. Reprogramming it for "Interrupt on Terminal Count" mode is a nifty trick which can be used to play 8-bit samples from the PC speaker. You may generate various frequencies with it. The audible range of tones lies between about 16Hz and 16kHz. Frequencies above and below this range are called infra- or supersonic: Your Pc's amplifier is probably unable to generate such tones.

The timer interrupt vector (channel 0) is probably the most commonly patched interrupt in the system. However, it turns out there are two of these vectors in the system. The first one, int 08h, is the hardware vector associated with the timer interrupt. Unless you're willing to taunt fate, it's not a good idea to patch this interrupt. If you want to build a timer handler, go for the second interrupt, interrupt 1ch. The BIOS' timer ISR (int 08h) always executes an int 1ch instruction before it returns. Catching it, assuming control and chain back to the old ISR is the best way to design your timer handler. Unless you're willing to duplicate the BIOS and DOS timer code, you should never completely replace the existing timer ISR with one of your own. Twiddling with int 1ch can be very dangerous and misuse can cause your system to crash or otherwise malfunction.

Finally, without entering into too much detail, I'll leave you with the port addresses of the various 8253/8254 PIT registers (the control register loads the counters and controls the various operation modes) :
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 14th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I forgot to mention though that Windows does have a multimedia timer that is purported to be accurate to 1ms. Code that demonstrates using them in a .Net language is a little difficult to come by though.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

All well and good but as this is a stopwatch, it would seem logical to simply use the Stopwatch object for timing and relegate the Timer to display only. You only need to display tenths when the watch is running because anything else is simply unreadable anyway. When the watch is stopped you can display the time elapsed up to 7 decimal places (or should that be down to?) should you feel the need!

btw, from my side (haven't read all the replies), i'll just use 1 digit of miliseconds, just like dunfiddin suggest