Thread: [RESOLVED] Question about serialport component.

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Question about serialport component.

In the windows Com API there is a flow control settings such as

NONE
    XonXoff
    RTS/CTS
    Xon/Xoff/RTS/CTS

That last one makes the port react to both xon/xoff software handshaking as well as RTS/CTS hardware handshaking.

But, using the .Net serialport component I don't want that option. I just want XonXoff and I want it to ignore CTS. But I'm finding that if I set the serialport control to XonXoff that it actually uses RTS/CTS as well.

I'm going to keep testing this for a work-around but, in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
    Ian

Re: Question about serialport component.

I'm afraid that I don't know the solution to your problem but I just had to post and say OH MY GOD, finally someone who calls a component a component instead of just calling everything in the Toolbox a control. Kudos for that.

Fanatic Member

Thank you. Telling me that you don't know really does help. It tells me that I'm not going to find the solution as a property of the control or in the control toolbox - where all the other controls are.

Addicted Member

I am no expert, but have you read this. ( I am sure you have)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...handshake.aspx

and this bit about handshaking.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...handshake.aspx

I hope I am not trying to "teach my granny to suck eggs". ( quick translation. telling you something you already know)
    Think.... Question.....

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmessiah View Post

I hope I am not trying to "teach my granny to suck eggs"
    Yes, here in the UK we talk about Egg sucking grannies too. I'm not offended. We don't know each other so there's no way you can know what I do or don't know so please assume I know nothing - I won't be offended.

Having said that - I do like to think I know my way round a serial port and I've poked this one till it's black and blue all over.

I could have described my question clearer.

I'm setting handshaking to XOnXOff but it's working as if it was set to RequestToSendXOnXOff

I'm kind of thinking it's a bug in my cheap USB/RS232 device (driver)

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Yes, here in the UK we talk about Egg sucking grannies too. I'm not offended. We don't know each other so there's no way you can know what I do or don't know so please assume I know nothing - I won't be offended.

Having said that - I do like to think I know my way round a serial port and I've poked this one till it's black and blue all over.

I could have described my question clearer.

I'm setting handshaking to XOnXOff but it's working as if it was set to RequestToSendXOnXOff

I'm kind of thinking it's a bug in my cheap USB/RS232 device (driver)
    Could you give us the 10,000 foot view of your program? Is your program sending or receiving(or both) the xon/xoff? I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct about the usb driver.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Fanatic Member

Don't need 10000 foot of the program.

pseudo code

Handshaking = xonxoff
    open port
    send data
    '// Data does not flow.
    '// Use a bent paper clip to short RTS/CTS and data flows.

When handshaking is set to RequestToSendXOnXOff then that is what I would expect. I would not expect it when handshaking is set to just XonXoff.

Actually poking about in the API and DCB I can see that the DCB is dirty. When setting XonXoff the RTS/CTS bits are left in an uninitialized and therefore unknown state. I thought the only way to clear this would be to set handshaking = NONE to make sure all the handshaking bits in the DCB are cleared before setting XonXoff. When doing that via the API it appears to work - doing it via the serialport component it doesn't.

If you set handshake to none does it work? I was asking about the 10,000 foot view to see why you were using handshaking.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Fanatic Member

I write an application that is used to program/configure machinery, robotics etc. It allows the user to select whatever flow control his specific devices require. He can select NONE or RTS/CTS or XonXoff. So, ' I' don't use anything. My users do. And if they select XonXoff they want XonXoff. They do not want RequestToSendXOnXOff.

Yes, if set to NONE then there is no problem. CTS is ignored if flow control is none. basically I'm getting this:-

If I set None
    I get None

If I set RTS/CTS
    I get RTS/CTS

If I set xOnxOff
    I get RequestToSendXOnXOff