Thread: Getting connection error

Lively Member

Getting connection error

Created a DB in Visual basics 2010 Express edition and I'm getting problem in this code whenever I run it I have underlined the error point

Code:
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    Public Class Saving

Private Sub Saving_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Button1.Text = "Add to DB"
            Button2.Text = "Show DB"
            TextBox2.Multiline = True
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim sqCon As New SqlClient.SqlConnection("Server=.\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=C:\Users\danial\Documents\Employee.sdf;Database=Employee; Trusted_Connection=Yes;")
            Dim sqCmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand

sqCmd.Connection = sqCon           
            sqCmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO [Employee].[dbo].[Empdata] VALUES ('" & TextBox1.Text & "')"
            sqCon.Open()                        'I AM GETTING ERROR IN THIS LINE
            sqCmd.ExecuteNonQuery()            
            sqCon.Close()                      
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim sqCon As New SqlClient.SqlConnection("Server=.\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=C:\Users\danial\Documents\Employee.sdf;Database=Employee; Trusted_Connection=Yes;")
            Dim sqCmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand
            Dim sdrRow As SqlClient.SqlDataReader

sqCmd.Connection = sqCon
            sqCmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM Empdata"

sqCon.Open()                      
            sdrRow = sqCmd.ExecuteReader()     

TextBox2.Text = ""                
            Do While sdrRow.Read()
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text & sdrRow.GetValue(0) & vbTab    
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text & sdrRow.GetValue(1) & vbCrLf   
            Loop

sdrRow.Close()
            sqCon.Close()

End Sub
    End Class

PowerPoster

Re: Getting connection error

What is the error?

Lively Member

Name:  Error.png
Views: 284
Size:  54.7 KB

This is the error I'm getting Screen shot Attached

Quote Originally Posted by chdboy View Post
    Name:  Error.png
Views: 284
Size:  54.7 KB

This is the error I'm getting Screen shot Attached
    Based on your screenshot it looks like the path of your sql connection is wrong try to check the connection string.

Lively Member

Is there any other way to get your data to your database from text boxes(User input)?

PowerPoster

You can not do anythign with a database until you connect to it

Try ...

Data Source=localhost\SQLExpress;

and/or

Initial Catalog=Employee; (replacing both Attach and Database statements)
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Try ...

Data Source=localhost\SQLExpress;

and/or

Initial Catalog=Employee; (replacing both Attach and Database statements)
    not working same error given

Lively Member

Or Sybase(Sql anywhere) is better to work with?

Have you tried a design time connection in a separate project? That will at least tell you whether the database and SQL Express are wired up properly and you can save the connection string to compare it with yours.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

Yes I have tried it in another project

PowerPoster

I notice that you have the file in a users folder. Is this the user that is logged ontp the system when the error occurs? If not that could be your problem as these folders are protected.

SDF are Compact SQL (SQL CE) files... not normal SQL Server files... so you can't attach them in the same manner. You need to use the SQLCEClient namespace.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Yes I have tried it in another project
    And?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I notice that you have the file in a users folder. Is this the user that is logged ontp the system when the error occurs? If not that could be your problem as these folders are protected.
    Yes I use this Laptop and no one else so I'm the one who is logged in always

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    SDF are Compact SQL (SQL CE) files... not normal SQL Server files... so you can't attach them in the same manner. You need to use the SQLCEClient namespace.

-tg
    How do I use it can you please explain it in as a sample code ?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    And?
    And not working there also

How do I use it can you please explain it in as a sample code ?
    Really?
    Go to MSDN ... type in SQLCEClient in the search... click the search button... one of the results will be this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...sqlclient.aspx

It's posts like yours that really discourage me... when someone mentions a new topic to you the FIRST instinct should be to go search for it... you need to take some initiative to look this stuff up too you know...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Really?
    Go to MSDN ... type in SQLCEClient in the search... click the search button... one of the results will be this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...sqlclient.aspx

It's posts like yours that really discourage me... when someone mentions a new topic to you the FIRST instinct should be to go search for it... you need to take some initiative to look this stuff up too you know...

-tg
    I'm sorry I asked

Lively Member

Name:  New Error.png
Views: 165
Size:  26.6 KB

This is the new error popped up when I change in
    [code]("Server=localhost\SQLExpress;uid=sa;Data Source=C:\Users\danial\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Addtodatabase\Addtodatabase\Database\Employee.sdf;Database=Employee.sdf; Trusted_Connection=Yes;")[code]to the connection string

I have made a new DB naming the same as earlier

PowerPoster

What changes have you made to the code from the OP?
    Why are you using an sdf file?

An SDF file is a compact SQL Server file (SQLCE) ... it isn't meant to be used with a full SQL Server instance...

you're slinging code around with out knowing what it does or any thought to what you're doing...

So let me ask you this: What are you trying to connect to? A database, or a database file? They are not the same thing! How did you create this "database"? You're using two methods there... and neither one is right... you can have a SQL Server install (to include express, or a full-blown version) and connect to a user instance file WHICH IS USUALLY AN MDF Not to mention that just because your file is Employees.sdf, doesn't make the Database name the same... you can have "myreallylongandannoyingname.mdf" but the Database name is "QWERTY" ... meanwhile ... SDF is used for SQL CE (as I keep mentioning) and require a DIFFERENT connection string... AND requires the use of SQLCEClient ... OH, and when you connect to a SQL Server, you give the server name and database name...

Maybe this will help, maybe not: ConnectionStrings.com

-tg

Lively Member

An SDF file is a compact SQL Server file (SQLCE) ... it isn't meant to be used with a full SQL Server instance...

you're slinging code around with out knowing what it does or any thought to what you're doing...

So let me ask you this: What are you trying to connect to? A database, or a database file? They are not the same thing! How did you create this "database"? You're using two methods there... and neither one is right... you can have a SQL Server install (to include express, or a full-blown version) and connect to a user instance file WHICH IS USUALLY AN MDF Not to mention that just because your file is Employees.sdf, doesn't make the Database name the same... you can have "myreallylongandannoyingname.mdf" but the Database name is "QWERTY" ... meanwhile ... SDF is used for SQL CE (as I keep mentioning) and require a DIFFERENT connection string... AND requires the use of SQLCEClient ... OH, and when you connect to a SQL Server, you give the server name and database name...

Maybe this will help, maybe not: ConnectionStrings.com

-tg
    Just learning the ropes ....
    You are very right that I'm slinging code around knowing a little bit what I am doing (A little bit)I was thinking the very same question to myself about .SDF File and .MDF file difference now I know and thank you for that and you are right about that I was making a database from within VSExpress 2010 that is not right (Now I know) so now I will be installing Database and try this code with that only ...and thank you very much techgnome

If I came across a little harsh I appologize... sometimes it's necessary to slap someone around a little bit to get their attention. A couple things... look in the Database section for the Database FAQ & Tutorials thread... it should be a sticky at the top... it's got some good stuff in there... also when ever you connect to a database... if you're not sure... http://www.connectionstrings.com is a great place to go to get the format right.

-tg

Lively Member

If I came across a little harsh I appologize... sometimes it's necessary to slap someone around a little bit to get their attention. A couple things... look in the Database section for the Database FAQ & Tutorials thread... it should be a sticky at the top... it's got some good stuff in there... also when ever you connect to a database... if you're not sure... http://www.connectionstrings.com is a great place to go to get the format right.

-tg
    You have done the right thing being harsh otherwise I would have been depending on that someone would provide me the code ...but it's good as me learning .You showed me the light ..otherwise I was hoping to give up.I'm not a quitter generally but when you trying to do some thing which is not your best thing ...then it gets to your nerves .

Thanks techgnome

give someone code and they'll be productive for 15 minutes... teach them how to code and they can build a career.

-tg

Lively Member

Thumbs up Re: Getting connection error

Now this code works with SqlServer Compact Edition file...offcours with little help

Code:
    Imports System.Data.SQLServerCE
    Dim con as New SqlCeConnection("Data Source=C:\Users\danial\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Addtodatabase\Addtodatabase\Database\Employee.sdf")
    	con.Open
    	dim Sql as string = "INSERT INTO YourTable (Field1, Field2) VALUES ('Value1', 'Value2')
    	dim cmd as New SqlCeCommand(Sql, con)
    	cmd.ExecuteNonQuery
    	con.close()
    now the problem is the one problem resolved then the other arises and I have not started yet ...

anyways thanks for all who helped with the connection error.