Thread: [RESOLVED] C# Targetpath shortcuts

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] C# Targetpath shortcuts

I have a small problem with generating the shortcut. Actually generating shortcut works no problem but I wont to add other few lines to shortcut that makes me problems that I chouldnt work out. For example :

I need to have the path of my shortcut like this : C:\test.vbs "C:/somefile.exe" somedata email@gmail.com password

I use this code :

Code:
    MyShortcut.TargetPath = @"C:/test.vbs" + textBox3.Text + " " + comboBox1.Text + " " + textBox1.Text + " " + textBox2.Text;
    textbox3 is path of somefile. somedata is selected item from combobox. textbox1 is email. textbox2 is password

I can not add the path on textbox3 ( C:/somefile.exe ) the program gets error. what am I doing wrong here ?

Re: C# Targetpath shortcuts

I am guessing that you forgot to put space
    Code:
    MyShortcut.TargetPath = @"C:/test.vbs " + textBox3.Text + " " + comboBox1.Text + " " + textBox1.Text + " " + textBox2.Text;

Lively Member

nope it gives me error unhandled exeption again. If I do not put the textbox3 filepath it works with it it doesnt. or if I put only the exe name like : somefile.exe it works also not with C:/somefile.exe

Well I know nothing about C# but I'm pretty certain you don't use C:/ in a path. Shortcuts aren't urls, are they?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

Shortcut is should be like this : C:\test.vbs "C:/somefile.exe" somedata email@gmail.com password

Er ... the fact that you can't make it work suggests otherwise! If C:/somefile.exe is intended as an url then it should surely be file:///C:/somefile.exe and if it's not (which the fact that you can use it with just somefile.exe certainly suggests) it should be C:\somefile.exe
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Fanatic Member

That looks more like a command string than a shortcut. Shortcuts are ONLY file paths such as C:\someFolder\somefile.exe
    shortcut.TargetPath should work perfectly with just "C:\test.vbs".

Lively Member

sure it works with just a path , if you guys think it looks like a command path YES but how can I do it .

Quote Originally Posted by españolito View Post
    That looks more like a command string than a shortcut. Shortcuts are ONLY file paths such as C:\someFolder\somefile.exe
    shortcut.TargetPath should work perfectly with just "C:\test.vbs".
    You can use command strings in a shortcut so that's not a problem in itself. I'm assuming that the values given here are just placeholders and not the actual values, of course.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    You can use command strings in a shortcut so that's not a problem in itself. I'm assuming that the values given here are just placeholders and not the actual values, of course.
    any example ?

This is my shortcut for a well known game ...

"C:\Program Files\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 13\ootp13.exe" load_league=Play At The Plate.lg

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RapidBuster View Post
    I am guessing that you forgot to put space
    Possibly also the Double Quotes.
    Looking at dunfiddlin's shortcut, the filepath is enclosed in quotes and the command string follows, separated by spaces.

Lively Member

well I need my shortcut exact like this :

C:\test.vbs "C:/somefile.exe" somedata email@gmail.com password
    if anyone can give me an examle on how to do this whould be very nice thank you .

Fanatic Member

I did this test and it generates the correct string with the correct quotes as per dunfiddlin's post
    Code:
    Label1.Text = """C:/test.vbs""" + " " & TextBox3.Text + " " + TextBox4.Text + " " + TextBox1.Text + " " + TextBox2.Text
    Obviously, you'd need to change the variable names and also bear in mind this is VB, not C# so you'd need to put the @ and the ; back
    Attachment 91669
    Last edited by Españolita; Sep 24th, 2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add screenshot

Lively Member

I have now like this changed my code , sorry @españolito didnt work in C#

shortcut.TargetPath = "\"C:\\file.exe\"";
    shortcut.Arguments = "/" + textBox3.Text + "/" + " " + comboBox1.Text + " " + textBox1.Text + " " + textBox2.Text;
    this works great , instead of / I need to add " but cant