On Tuesday (8/21/12) I received a set of automatic downloads from Microsoft on my Windows 7 systems. After that I tried to open/load my VB8 program, as I had done for years prior, and received the error Object library not registered. Clicking OK it then requested me to continue or stop loading. Can anyone tell me what is happening and how should I proceed to fix this problem?
In working with a more experienced developer, we found the problem to be only on the 64-bit Windows 7 system and not on the 32-bit Windows 7 system. Apparently, Microsoft, in its wisdom, changed or defaulted the loading of the MSCOMCTL.dll in 6.0 loads to only use the System32 folder for its .dll lookups and not the SysWOW64 folder. Since the component was only in the 64 folder and not in the System32 folder it produced this and other errors. Once identified correctly, the load/compile options worked fine. The following contents of a log file created at load time was used to define the problem:
Line 46: Class MSComctlLib.ListView of control lvwCodes was not a loaded control class.
Line 53: The property name _ExtentX in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 54: The property name _ExtentY in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 55: The property name Sorted in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 56: The property name LabelWrap in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 57: The property name HideSelection in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 58: The property name AllowReorder in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 59: The property name FullRowSelect in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 60: The property name GridLines in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 61: The property name _Version in lvwCodes is invalid.
Line 66: The property name NumItems in lvwCodes is invalid.
As a somewhat novice to these type of errors and the fact that nothing was changed in the code to produce this problem, I was at a loss.