Thread: [RESOLVED] Search Database

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Search Database

Hello, I am trying to create a search function for the phone number in my database, but i used a space in phone number. So now its name is [phone numb.]
    I want to know how to refer to it in the filter cell in query builder. -- LIKE @phone numb. + '%' -- doesn't work. And nothing else I have tried.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Search Database

You should never have a field name with spaces/punctuation/etc in, because there are various situations where it causes problems - some of them to the point where you cannot use that field/table, as there is no way to 'fix' it (and this could well be one of them).

Unless you have an extremely good reason for having the name like that (making things 'easier' is not a good reason, and probably not even true), change it to something else, eg: PhoneNumber

For more information, see the article What names should I NOT use for tables/fields/views/stored procedures/...? from our Database Development FAQs/Tutorials (at the top of the Database Development forum)

Re: Search Database

Quote Originally Posted by ikdekker View Post
    Hello, I am trying to create a search function for the phone number in my database, but i used a space in phone number. So now its name is [phone numb.]
    I want to know how to refer to it in the filter cell in query builder. -- LIKE @phone numb. + '%' -- doesn't work. And nothing else I have tried.
    Thanks in advance.
    Not using spaces in column names aside it doesn't matter what you have in the variable set up as far as spaces in the column are concerned. Something like this should work. Of course what the data looks like does matter.

"where [phone numb] like '" & @phone & "%'"

Assuming @Phone has the number you are looking for and it is formatted to match what is stored in the database.