Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 and Windows 8

Lively Member

Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 and Windows 8

alternative ... would be the portable vb6

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DracullSoft View Post
    alternative ... would be the portable vb6
    There is no such thing. That would be a hacked/pirated or bogus version and not something that anyone should be using.

PowerPoster

I just installed VB6 on Win 8 64 bit, but when I open I get this OLE automation error. It will still let me use the program, so what does this error mean?

PowerPoster

Are you starting it as administrator?

PowerPoster

No, nope I haven't, but I just tried it, and did not get that error, THANK@!!!

Lively Member

@DataMiser

Portable vb6 - i guess you could say its hacked or you could say its repacked in a slim version but it do exist

http://planet-source-code.com/vb/scr...73790&lngWId=1

PowerPoster

When I say there is no such thing I mean that there is no such product. Apparently someone has posted a hacked version on the internet and gave it such a name. Such a thing is totally illegal and should not be used not to mention it likely would not work and possibly may cause problems with your system as well as possible fines/jail.

I was told by techies that you have to install a special patch program, to have it run on Windows 8.00. However the SP6 that is currently doing the rounds, it is only for Windows XP, Vista and Win7. However with the information that I have been given it means that you just have to wait until they release a SP6 for Windows 8.00...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Quote Originally Posted by DracullSoft View Post
    @DataMiser: Portable vb6 - i guess you could say its hacked or you could say its repacked in a slim version but it do exist... Click Here
    I have been able to write a version of my own type of BASIC programming languages, which in turn is a very small and very compact and which is a very powerful version of C/C++/C#, Java, Director, DHTML and also Pascal dirived types of commands and processes, too. I call it Visual Suite's QuickDirector. Which comes inside the Windows SX, type of operating system, as the native language, in which it works with. However all of my products, have been written inside Visual Basic 6.00 COM for Windows 32-Bit...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

How can you have a version of basic that is very small, very compact, very powerful version of c/c++/c#, Java ect... sounds to me like you are just blowing smoke.

Re: VB6 and Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    For the future:

My VS6 Installer tool (free) install VS6 / VB6 without problems and has been tested successfully in Windows 8.
    The link can be found in the signature.
    Also, see the video.

I've install VB6 on windows 8; but there is a problem, I can NOT work with DataEnvironment modules, and I've been trying to install the MSDE.DLL AND MSDERUN.DLL and still I can NOT work with DataEnvironment. Please, help me with this, the Adding DataEnvironment module does not appear.
    Last edited by macaco; Dec 20th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by macaco View Post
    I've install VB6 on windows 8; but there is a problem, I can NOT work with DataEnvironment modules, and I've been trying to install the MSDE.DLL AND MSDERUN.DLL and still I can NOT work with DataEnvironment. Please, help me with this, the Adding DataEnvironment module does not appear.
    I think 100 out of 100 experienced VB6 programmers will tell you that you should NOT be using the DataEnvironment.

Rob

PS This comment is not related to your post.
    Someone earlier in this thread suggested that the OP should stop using VB6 and move to VB.NET
    This is a VB6 forum, and I really think it is not appropriate for posters to do that.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by macaco View Post
    This doesn't depend of my VSInstaller tool
    The problem is that the DataEnvironment ISN'T supported.

Always keep in mind this:
    Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows 8
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

See the section: Unsupported Runtime Files

However, as Bobbles has wrote, the use of DataEnvironment has always been discouraged, because it is an instrument with bugs and limitations insurmountable.
    Besides the DataEnvironment is useless (as is the ADODC, the DataList and DataCombo), you should instead use the library of objects ADODB.

PowerPoster

Yep, in 12 years of working with VB6 I have yet to see a reason to use the DataEnvironment or the ADODC. Always use ADO Code instead.

Hello,

Thank you for this tool.

I have a question: I've tried to install VB6 ENT (English) on Windows 8 64bit. I am using the Version of our MSDN Subscription. This version contains 2 CDs as ISO files.

However, when selecting the sources your tool tells me that "The selected folder does not appear to be correct". This happens in both cases, when selecting the source as the root of the virtual CD drive or the unpacked ISO in a folder on the harddrive.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by syshack View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for this tool.

I have a question: I've tried to install VB6 ENT (English) on Windows 8 64bit. I am using the Version of our MSDN Subscription. This version contains 2 CDs as ISO files.

However, when selecting the sources your tool tells me that "The selected folder does not appear to be correct". This happens in both cases, when selecting the source as the root of the virtual CD drive or the unpacked ISO in a folder on the harddrive.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?
    I developed VS6 Installer using Visual Studio 6.8 Enteprise 'retail' version (5 CD), therefore I don't know the contents of MSDN Subscription CDs.

I can try to discover the differences.
    Should me contact privately: vbcorner [at] vbcorner.net
    Send me 2 files TXT that contains the complete directory of you 2 CDs.

Insert CD1 in you [DRIVE], open a DOS Prompt (*) (black screen) and type:

Dir [DRIVE]\*.* > C:\CD1.TXT
    repeat for CD2
    Dir [DRIVE]\*.* > C:\CD2.TXT*

(*) Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Prompt Comands

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    I developed VS6 Installer using Visual Studio 6.8 Enteprise 'retail' version (5 CD), therefore I don't know the contents of MSDN Subscription CDs.

I can try to discover the differences.
    Should me contact privately: vbcorner [at] vbcorner.net
    Thank you!

I just sent you an email with the filelist of both CDs, with both English and German versions.

I also tried the installation of a retail VB6 PRO German version: Your tool works to prepare the installation files, but the installation process itself hangs, similar as the ENT edition in XP compatibility mode.
    That results to an incomplete installation in the registry and the SP6 cannot be installed. The VB6 IDE itself somehow starts, but that is not really a proper installation and SP6 is very recommended.

Thank you for any suggestion.

A.K.

PowerPoster

You can add the reg entries as outlined in this thread and then SP6 will install

Frenzied Member

What works for me, may not apply to many of you.
    I bend over backwards to avoid dependencies.
    I have about 5 at the most, but pretty rare for my programs to use all 5.
    I have deliberately stuck with SP5, as there was no apparent benefit to me to install SP6
    Rob
    PS I am now over 70, so it is illegal to flame me.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by syshack View Post
    Thank you!

I just sent you an email with the filelist of both CDs, with both English and German versions.

I also tried the installation of a retail VB6 PRO German version: Your tool works to prepare the installation files, but the installation process itself hangs, similar as the ENT edition in XP compatibility mode.
    That results to an incomplete installation in the registry and the SP6 cannot be installed. The VB6 IDE itself somehow starts, but that is not really a proper installation and SP6 is very recommended.

Thank you for any suggestion.

A.K.
    1st problem:
    My VS6 Installer install VS6.0 (Enterprise or Pro) and VB6.0 (Pro only, NOT Enteprise).
    Now I have add VB6.0 Enteprise (thank you for filelist)
    So, I send to you the updated version. Try it and let me know.
    IMPORTANT: remember to create the ROOT folder before to run the Steps (1,2 and 3)

2nd problem:
    My VS6 Installer is intended for install the old Service Pack 6.0 only.
    The lastest SP should be installed separately.

Just this morning I installed Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition (only selecting VB core and Data access options). I installed it into a Windows XP virtual machine. I also installed the VB6MouseWheel.exe to get the mouse wheel working. Once that was finished I tested opening a few dozen old VB6 projects. Everything was working just fine. It's amazing how fast it (and XP itself) runs within a VirtualBox virtual machine running on my i7 laptop (Windows 8 Pro 64 bit)!

Once that was done, I basically created a portable version for it. And, it runs just fine on Windows 8 Pro (64 bit).

Here's are the steps:

1. Create a new folder named "VB6" (or whatever you want)..
    2. Copy the whole "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio" folder to the new VB6 folder.
    3. Now, you want to copy the contents from each of the following folders into the "VB6\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98" folder:
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSDesigner98 (including resources, but copy as a folder)
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech (including 1033, but copy as a folder)
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Triedit
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS98 (including resources, but copy as a folder)
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders

NOTE: You can safely ignore the MSCREATE.DIR files (or overwriting them warnings), etc.

You're done! I copied the new VB6 folder onto my Windows 8 Pro (64 bit) machine and it works fine. I can edit and run/compile into exe's.

Don't forget that in order to run VB6 applications on your system you will need to install the vb6 runtime or copy its files into a folder in your path! I unpacked the runtime installer and manually copied the dll's into a new folder, which I put into the system PATH environment variable.

Hopefully, this will be of help to others!

I got VB6 COM Enterprise, so then could I be able to run it on Windows 8.00???

Frenzied Member

That is interesting.
    Could you expand all your sub folders, and provide us with a screen print.
    I am sure that will benefit anyone attempting to replicate your (applaud worthy) feat.
    Regarding runtimes (for running VB6 EXE's), I believe that MS has provided them in every OS from Win98SE onwards.
    Rob
    PS That is another reason that I stuck with SP5 (Just my hunch to ensure my EXEs will run in any of those OS's)
    I never install my programs, I just give the user an EXE, and tell them to create say C:\ClipBuddy and stick the EXE in there. If my programs has any dependencies, I create an empty project (no source code), and use the P&D to create an installer. They run that once, and I am good to go for the next 10 years, giving them 'portable' programs that do not need installing.

PowerPoster

That method may very well work and allow you to build an exe but keep in mind there is a lot missing from it. Vb also installs several files into the system folder which will not be available in such an instance.

Also if you don't have SP6 Runtimes, then you cannot run it from your current system. You then have to install the SP6 Runtimes onto each and ever system, that you are running it from...

Frenzied Member

Are the last two posts "Talking to me" (Taxi driver), or to wasatchwizard ?

Actually now that you say that, well then yes they really do. I had just forgot to add in the quotes for that certain post...

Frenzied Member

I have never used SP6, and I have never had a problem.

You can click Reply (instead of Reply with Quote), which I am doing now.
    I have just checked some earlier emails. I am now doubting that clicking 'Reply' does anything ? ? ?
    Last edited by Bobbles; Jan 19th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.

ThEiMp: I would think you could get VB COM Enterprise working, although to be honest, I don't know what version that is..

Bobbles: You might be right about Windows having the vbrun600.dll on all the modern OSes. However I should have been more clear. At least in most of my projects, I have always needed the Visual Basic Common Controls collection as well as the vbrunXYZ.dll. That collection includes the RICHTX32.OCX, TABCTL32.OCX, COMDLG32.OCX, etc.

Here is a screenshot:
    Name:  clean VB98 folder.png
Views: 11017
Size:  437.7 KB

So, basically go into each of the circled folders, select all, then Control+Drag them to the folder on the right to copy them.

I haven't tested all of my data-based projects yet. I kind of expect to have to do the same thing with the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado folder. I'll post a follow-up if that is needed when/if I run into it..

PowerPoster

I was referring to Post #61 describing how to copy the files over. If this does allow you to build an exe it would be limited as to what controls you could use as many would be in the system folder and registered in the system registry.

Your best course of action is to properly install VB on the machine in question, Windows 8 is a bit tricky but it will work.

There must be some way to get VB6 COM to run alongside Win8, however why do so??? It's really old, they are pulling it out real soon, too. Also, I have heard from a Microsoft Worker that worked on Visual Basic's development team that they are going to make it come back when they have been able to write it into Win8 by using newer technology in the mean time, don't hold your breathe!!

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    There must be some way to get VB6 COM to run alongside Win8, however why do so??? It's really old, they are pulling it out real soon, too. Also, I have heard from a Microsoft Worker that worked on Visual Basic's development team that they are going to make it come back when they have been able to write it into Win8 by using newer technology in the mean time, don't hold your breathe!!
    Ever heard of maintenance programs?
    Maybe you're not a professional programmer ...

PowerPoster

What are you calling Vb6 Com? Never heard of it.

I found what I consider a cleaner way to resolve the issue w/ the VB6 installer on Win8. Using process monitor, you can see that the VB6 installer loops indefinitely while trying to open these keys in the registry:

• HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDSServer.DataFactory
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDSServer.DataFactory\Clsid

By granting the local Administrators group Ownership, and then Full Control over these two keys, the VB6 installer is able to complete without issue on Win8.

I wrote a PowerShell script to take care of modifying the permissions in the two keys, which I've then incorporated into our silent VB installation batch file, and which is only executed when the installer is running on Windows 8. I'm not very good at PowerShell, and I also had to modify a few things after-the-fact due to PS permissions issues (thus the extraneous "-replace HKCR:\\" bits). I took some code from http://shrekpoint.blogspot.com/2012/...-registry.html, which was necessary to allow taking ownership of the above reg keys.

Here's the PS script. Obviously this needs to be run elevated. I have only tested it running under the built-in local Administrator acct (where UAC is not in effect), but it should work running under any acct that is a member of local Administrators, as long as it is run elevated.

Code:
    #///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    # Name: FixWin8RegistryACLs.ps1
    # Author: Leif Maxfield
    # Purpose: Fix some registry ACLs on Win8 that prevent VB6 from installing
    #   cleanly. The installer loops indefinitely trying to access the keys below
    #   R/W, but is only granted read. Setting Full Control for local Administrators
    #   on the reg keys in $arrPaths allows the installer to finish cleanly.
    #
    #   As far as I can see the ACLs on these paths are the same on Win8 as they are
    #   on Win7, so it's not clear to me why this has to be done at all, or why
    #   it works.
    # Changelog:
    # * 2/12/2013 LEM: Created.
    #///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

# <Block taken from http://shrekpoint.blogspot.com/2012/08/taking-ownership-of-dcom-registry.html>
    function Enable-ProcessPrivilege {  
    param(  
    [ValidateSet(  
    "SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege", "SeAuditPrivilege", "SeBackupPrivilege",  
    "SeChangeNotifyPrivilege", "SeCreateGlobalPrivilege", "SeCreatePagefilePrivilege",  
    "SeCreatePermanentPrivilege", "SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege",  
    "SeCreateTokenPrivilege", "SeDebugPrivilege", "SeEnableDelegationPrivilege",  
    "SeImpersonatePrivilege", "SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege",  
    "SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege", "SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege", "SeLoadDriverPrivilege",  
    "SeLockMemoryPrivilege", "SeMachineAccountPrivilege", "SeManageVolumePrivilege",  
    "SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege", "SeRelabelPrivilege", "SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege",  
    "SeRestorePrivilege", "SeSecurityPrivilege", "SeShutdownPrivilege",  
    "SeSyncAgentPrivilege", "SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege", "SeSystemProfilePrivilege",  
    "SeSystemtimePrivilege", "SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege", "SeTcbPrivilege",  
    "SeTimeZonePrivilege", "SeTrustedCredManAccessPrivilege", "SeUndockPrivilege",  
    "SeUnsolicitedInputPrivilege")]  
    $Privilege,  
    $ProcessId = $pid,  
    [Switch] $Disable  
    )  

$definition = @'  
    using System;  
    using System.Runtime.InteropServices;  

public class AdjPriv  
    {  
    [DllImport("advapi32.dll", ExactSpelling = true, SetLastError = true)]  
    internal static extern bool AdjustTokenPrivileges(IntPtr htok, bool disall,ref  
    TokPriv1Luid newst, int len, IntPtr prev, IntPtr relen);  
    [DllImport("advapi32.dll", ExactSpelling = true, SetLastError = true)]  
    internal static extern bool OpenProcessToken(IntPtr h, int acc, ref IntPtr phtok);  
    [DllImport("advapi32.dll", SetLastError = true)]  
    internal static extern bool LookupPrivilegeValue(string host, string name, ref long  
    pluid);  
    [StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, Pack = 1)]  
    internal struct TokPriv1Luid  
    {  
    public int Count;  
    public long Luid;  
    public int Attr;  
    }  
    internal const int SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED = 0x00000002;  
    internal const int SE_PRIVILEGE_DISABLED = 0x00000000;  
    internal const int TOKEN_QUERY = 0x00000008;  
    internal const int TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES = 0x00000020;  
    public static bool EnablePrivilege(long processHandle, string privilege, bool disable)  
    {  
    bool retVal;  
    TokPriv1Luid tp;  
    IntPtr hproc = new IntPtr(processHandle);  
    IntPtr htok = IntPtr.Zero;  
    retVal = OpenProcessToken(hproc, TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES | TOKEN_QUERY, ref htok);  
    tp.Count = 1;  
    tp.Luid = 0;  
    if(disable)  
    {  
    tp.Attr = SE_PRIVILEGE_DISABLED;  
    }  
    else  
    {  
    tp.Attr = SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED;  
    }  
    retVal = LookupPrivilegeValue(null, privilege, ref tp.Luid);  
    retVal = AdjustTokenPrivileges(htok, false, ref tp, 0, IntPtr.Zero, IntPtr.Zero);  
    return retVal;  
    }  
    }  
    '@  

$processHandle = (Get-Process -id $ProcessId).Handle  
    $type = Add-Type $definition -PassThru  
    $type[0]::EnablePrivilege($processHandle, $Privilege, $Disable)  
    }

# This is necessary, else taking ownership of the key fails with access denied.
    Enable-ProcessPrivilege -Privilege SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
    # </End block taken from http://shrekpoint.blogspot.com/2012/08/taking-ownership-of-dcom-registry.html>

New-PSDrive -Name HKCR -PSProvider Registry -Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

# These paths cannot be accessed by the VB6 installer on Win8. Granting the
    # local Administrators group ownership & Full Control on these paths allows
    # VB6 to install cleanly.
    $arrPaths = @(
      "HKCR:\RDSServer.DataFactory",
      "HKCR:\RDSServer.DataFactory\Clsid"
    )

# We will take ownership & set Full Control for the local Administrators group.
    $acct = [System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]"Administrators"

$arrPaths | % {
      # Note that we are explicitly processing HKCR keys here. Keys under other
      # base paths would need to be processed differently!
      $subKeyPath = $_ -replace ('HKCR:\\', '')
      $key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::ClassesRoot.OpenSubKey($subKeyPath,
        [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,
        [System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::TakeOwnership)
      $acl = $key.GetAccessControl([System.Security.AccessControl.AccessControlSections]::None)
      $acl.SetOwner($acct)
      $key.SetAccessControl($acl)
      $key.Close()

# Grant $acct Full Control on the path.
      $subKeyPath = $_ -replace ('HKCR:\\', '')
      $key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::ClassesRoot.OpenSubKey($subKeyPath,
        [Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,
        [System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions)    
      $acl = $key.GetAccessControl([System.Security.AccessControl.AccessControlSections]::None)
      $rights = [System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]"FullControl"
      $inheritance = [System.Security.AccessControl.InheritanceFlags]"None"
      $propagation = [System.Security.AccessControl.PropagationFlags]"None"
      $type = [System.Security.AccessControl.AccessControlType]"Allow"
      $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule("$acct","$rights","$inheritance","$propagation","$type")
      $acl.SetAccessRule($rule)
      $key.SetAccessControl($acl)
      $key.Close()
    }

Quote Originally Posted by emperortomato View Post
    I found what I consider a cleaner way to resolve the issue w/ the VB6 installer on Win8. Using process monitor, you can see that the VB6 installer loops indefinitely while trying to open these keys in the registry:

• HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDSServer.DataFactory
    • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDSServer.DataFactory\Clsid

By granting the local Administrators group Ownership, and then Full Control over these two keys, the VB6 installer is able to complete without issue on Win8.
    That did the trick on my new Surface Pro. Thanks!

VB6 and SP6 on Windows 8...

Ok, I'd been unable to install SP6 after a VB6 install (which I had to abort). Have read the posts above which gave me an idea. I reinstalled VB6 again but only selected to install the graphics element (previously not installed) - just to fool it into thinking it was a full install. This worked fine. And SP6 install (as administrator) installed fine. Now have VB6 with SP6 on splash, and VB6 enterprise listed in the Add/Remove programs. Hope this helps someone!

So then Enterprise can then be able to work on Win8, that is a good idea to upgrade for me to do, one day really soon, like!!

I appear to be 100% operational on Win 8, 64bit with VB6, SP6 and Crystal Reports 8.5. Here's how I did it (not sure which of these steps was the final answer though):

1) Disable UAC- set the slider to the last position.

2) Before installing, go to properties of the installer window of whichever package I was trying to install and set compatibility to XP (I used SP2 just out of parnoia)

3) Run the installer as administrator.

4) When Installing VB6 (mine was EE edition), uncheck the data option to avoid hanging the installation- not needed because the jet files are already in Win8.

5) Once installed, use properties to set VB to XP compatibility mode.

Everything is working- even Crystal 8.5 which didn't work under Vista. Very happy camper here!

Read your reply with interest. I am a (very) amateur developer and - about 6 years ago - wrote some software in VB6 (*.vbp / *.frm files etc) in support of my job. Have just found that I need to go back and work on this again, but horrified to find that VB6 no longer supported. Have found some old VB6 software advertsed on Amazon etc, but am told I might not be able to edit my old vbp files if I run this with Windows 7 (which I now have). Any views as to the best way forward so I can edit and run the old VB6 files? Many thanks.

PowerPoster

VB6 works fine under windows 7 and it is still available directly from Microsoft to MSDN Pro subscribers. Of course the MSDN subscription is a bit pricey if all you want is VB6. Last I looked there were still a few copies floating around for sale in the internet.

Also if by chance your code does something that can not work under Windows 7 [very small chance of that] if you are using Windows 7 pro or ultimate edition then you also have the option of downloading Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode where you can run XP as a virtual machine under windows 7 and use VB6 there which also works fine. I personally have XP and Win2000 both setup as VMs under windows 7 as well as a few versions of Linux and use VMWare Player with images of several OSs there too.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Mar 1st, 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast