Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 and Windows 8

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB6 and Windows 8

Anyone had any luck gettign VB6 to install under Windows 8?

I just tried to install the Enterprise Edition VB6 on Windows 8 Enterprise. Got a few compatibilty messages then it appeared to hang for a while but then went through the install process right up to the end where it stopped responding.

Anyone else tried this yet?

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 and Windows 8

Update:

After I finally aborted te install I got a message that the install failed but I could see that VB6 was installed on the system. To what extent is hard to say but it is there and using run as administrator seems to work or at least the IDE fires up and will start a new project.

So I tried to install SP6 using run as administrator which fails right away. I tried SP5 same result. tried using compatibility mode for both the VB6 install and the SP6 install same results

I have exactly the same problem. I think that what happens here is that although VB6 APPEARS to install (and actually runs OK), because it hangs at the end of setup it is not registered as an installed program on the system. It does not appear as an intalled program, so you can't even uninstall it on my machine. So...when SP6 is trying to install it can't find the VB6 installation. That's my theory, but I can't find the solution, so I hope that with this added bit of info someone can resolve it! Incidentally, I have a completely trouble-free installation on Windows 7 64-bit, so its obviously a Windows 8 problem rather than a 64-bit issue.

Frenzied Member

I Think . you need to start to write the code in vb.net and c# . vb6 is old boredom now .i also tried 32 bits vb6 with service pack6 installation
    on windows 8 . bit but it finally it says install failed .

All my current apps are of course being written in .NET ! However, I have a gigantic app which has evolved over some 15 years, and the client will not even consider paying for a re-write, so I just need to maintain it. Hence the need for VB6. I am currently running VB6 SP6 under XP on a VM to get round the problem, but would ideally prefer to get a working VB6 directly on Win8

Frenzied Member

as my vb6 applicatioin is working under window 7 smoothly from last 2 years.really i did not get any error message or anything in windows 7. but really it is bad for me .i am unable to install vb6 on windows 8 .
    Last edited by firoz.raj; Aug 30th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

PowerPoster

Yes VB6 works fine under windows 7 but the installation fails to complete under windows 8 and this is the issue and yes VB6 is old but there are many folks out there who like me have many apps that were written in VB6 that must continue to be supported and not converted to vb.Net not to mention that many of us just like VB6 in general.

At any rate the issue is about a failed install under Windows 8 and if there is a solution for this that anyone is aware of.

PowerPoster

I believe these are instructions for the beta verision of win 8 but it may still work.
    http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showco...sp?artid=23916

This advice given in the 'fortypounder' link works on the basis of killing off the setup process when it 'hangs' at the end of the installation. This results in a VB6 program which runs, but is not fully recorded as being installed (so you don't see it in Control Panel|Programs for uninstallation options). Because it's not known as a correctly installed program, the SP6 fails to install because it can't find the VB6 installation location! That's my findings anyway!

PowerPoster

Yep, I tried that before I started the thread, VB6 does appear to work after the install fails to complete but you can not install the service packs and without at least SP5 installed it is of no use for me. If memory serves there was a bug in the datagrid that kept the first field in the first record from being displayed which was later corrected maybe in SP1 or 2. I know before the service release I was unable to use it for my development projects.

So the ultimate issue is being able to install the service pack but the reason it appears to fail is due to the issue installing VB6 where the install hangs before it updates the system properly.

You might want to read the discussions on the subject here on the forums just such for "VB6 and Windows 8" and they should appear. I think most of the discussions were in the general development section.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Frenzied Member

i think this thread needs to be moved on general development section .

at last i did it. --- installed Visual Studio 6.0 + sp6 on windows 8 64 bit.

Frenzied Member

>Re: VB6 and Windows 8 at last i did it.

Care to share...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by firoz.raj View Post
    i think this thread needs to be moved on general development section .
    Why should it be moved there? The thread is directly related to VB6 and has nothing to do with general development.

at last i did it. --- installed Visual Studio 6.0 + sp6 on windows 8 64 bit.
    So how about you let us know how you managed to get it to work?

Don't shout on me guys!!! Updated this thread to keep alive the hopes once sp6 shows the message installation finished successfully.

Later on realized the the splash screen still shows VB6 --- no sign of sp6. So to confirm the installation for past few days was just behind to install the old code run on the 64bit W8. And the fact is still struggling to install the 3rd party components.

Below is what I saved as .reg file and updated the registry to continue with sp6 installation.
    -------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\Table Files]
    "Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition@v6.0.0.0.0626 (1033)"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\setup.stf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition]
    "DisplayName"="Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition"
    "UninstallString"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\Setup.exe\""
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Why should it be moved there? The thread is directly related to VB6 and has nothing to do with general development.
    However, it is software related and not only to VB6 but VS 6.0 in general.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

The only parts of VS 6.0 that were ever supported at any level post-XP was VB6 and some of the tools. With some tweaking you can get Visual InterDev installed and working, but there was never any support for VC++, VFP, or anything else in VS6.

So I'd agree this is a VB6 topic and not a VS6 topic.

PowerPoster

When I first started using Windows 7 I had a VS6 Pro disk set and was unable to install. I ended up getting the VB6 Enterprise Edition CDs and installing from there without a problem. Under Windows 8 the Enterprise Edition fails to complete setup and apparently is the reason that SP 6 will not install.

Still looking for a way to get this up and running under Windows 8

Frenzied Member

I don't see a thread relating to this issue at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...elopmentissues yet, could it be time to start one? I have not found that site especially helpful but occasionally it throws up good stuff and I guess it is in Microsoft's face. I'm not into W8 yet and just watching...

VB6+sp6 successfully installed on 32 bit-windows8.
    Even installed 3rd party controls. compiled the legacy code like a champ. Debugging also works fine. No unusal observation so far on 32 bit.
    Struggling to install 3rd party controls on 64 bit windows8...

PowerPoster

I added the registry entries given in Post #17 and was able to get the SP6 install to run and complete. The about screen still does not show SP6 but the install did seem to be sucessful.

Seems promising anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mukulvarshney View Post
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\Table Files]
    "Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition@v6.0.0.0.0626 (1033)"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\setup.stf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition]
    "DisplayName"="Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition"
    "UninstallString"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VB98\\Setup\\1033\\Setup.exe\""
    ---------------------

When I first started using Windows 7 I had a VS6 Pro disk set and was unable to install. I ended up getting the VB6 Enterprise Edition CDs and installing from there without a problem. Under Windows 8 the Enterprise Edition fails to complete setup and apparently is the reason that SP 6 will not install.

Still looking for a way to get this up and running under Windows 8
    Are you using Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? I have VB6 Enterprise but it failed on Windows 7 64 bit. Like many of you, I don't like .net. Like VB6, I'm old and set in my ways.

PowerPoster

I have both 32 and 64 bit. Ultimate and Pro versions. I think I had to right click on the setup and run as admin but can't remember for sure.

Thanks for the information DataMiser.

Some how i was able to proceed in installing the 3rd party controls. But VB6 code failed to compile and i seriously doubt if sp6 really got installed. DataMiser, u have tried sp6 installation with registry updates, now does sp6 really got installed?

PowerPoster

I really do not know if it was successful or not. The install seems to complete and no errors were reported but the about screen does not show SP6.

I have not tried to build an exe on that machine yet.

I don't have Windows 8 so cannot provide any help on installing VB6, I'm afraid. I'm more concerned with how VB6 apps run on the new OS. Has anyone encountered any problems so far?

Frenzied Member

I don't have Windows 8 so cannot provide any help on installing VB6, I'm afraid. I'm more concerned with how VB6 apps run on the new OS. Has anyone encountered any problems so far?
    Do you have installed Windows 8 on your System ? .what is the meaning I don't have Windows 8 so cannot provide any help on installing VB6 ? .if it is windows xp,windows 7(32 bit) .there
    should not be any problem to installing vb6 .
    Last edited by firoz.raj; Sep 27th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

PowerPoster

I think he is referring to apps written in vb6 being able to work on other peoples systems who are using windows 8

Compiled exe (VB6 code) runs ok on win8 32bit and 64 bit. Till now no problem observed.

Remote data service server components are removed in Windows 8 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.85).aspx). Probably some related components removed from 64 bit W8 and hence vb6 doesnot install completed and stuck for updating RDSServer.DataFactory.

Good news guys... able to compile my vb6 code and execute it on windows8 64 bit. So getting an impression vb6+sp6 on 64 bit win8 is posssible.

Good news, mukulvarshney. Thanks for the feedback!

I think he is referring to apps written in vb6 being able to work on other peoples systems who are using windows 8
    Yep, indeed I was. And mukulvarshney has confirmed that VB6 SP6 apps can run on Win8 64-bit.
    Legacy VB6 apps may be on to a winner with the Win 8 Metro interface -- Office 2013 looks like it was built for Windows 3. :-)

Registry entries above worked for me to get SP6 installed. I found it easier to export them from my old Win 2k8 machine - I was using professional not enterprise so wanted to get the wording right.

The splash screen doesn't say SP6 but installer said successful and all the SP6 controls are available and seem to load fine.

Mousewheel fix worked fine as well. As an aside, when installing vb6 initially I just rebooted when it was hung and the installer did continue on reboot - just through that MSDN stuff.

I recall when setting vb6 up on a Win7 machine that there were a couple of registry keys I could change permissions on to enable vb6 to work well without having to run as Admin or in compatability mode... anyone recall what those keys were? I got it from a blog or forum post and never bookmarked it.

Good news (I think) - Got VB6 installed and running with SP6 in W8 by installing in a clean W7, installing VB6 enterprise (From Visual Studio 2000) + SP6 etc. and then upgrading the W7 to W8. Everything seems to work OK in the IDE - compiles .exe's so far - only problem is that one of my VB6 programs causes VB6 to crash when exiting the program i.e. does not exit cleanly back into the IDE - this app uses MSHFlexgrid which I think may be the issue. Hope this helps you guys out there in VB land.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Good news (I think) - Got VB6 installed and running with SP6 in W8 by installing in a clean W7, installing VB6 enterprise (From Visual Studio 2000) + SP6 etc. and then upgrading the W7 to W8. Everything seems to work OK in the IDE - compiles .exe's so far - only problem is that one of my VB6 programs causes VB6 to crash when exiting the program i.e. does not exit cleanly back into the IDE - this app uses MSHFlexgrid which I think may be the issue. Hope this helps you guys out there in VB land.
    For the future:

My VS6 Installer tool (free) install VS6 / VB6 without problems and has been tested successfully in Windows 8.
    The link can be found in the signature.
    Also, see the video.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Upgrade from win 7 to win8, Was it 64 bit or 32 bit ?

Quote Originally Posted by mukulvarshney View Post
    Upgrade from win 7 to win8, Was it 64 bit or 32 bit ?
    W7 ultimate 64 bit to W8 pro 64 bit - the problem I had crashing on exit was not the flexgrid but a mousewheel hook which was not unloading correctly on exit.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast