Thread: trouble connecting to free wifi in win 7

trouble connecting to free wifi in win 7

i have a laptop with both xp and 7 and ubuntu on it. well connecting to free wifi at this place i frequent only works in xp. i had to confirm a certificate error though. in 7 it wont even automatically redirect to the login page. whats the deal?
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Re: trouble connecting to free wifi in win 7

is the signal low ??

no. signal is fine. it is something in win7's internet security settings i am sure. it's not just me having an issue there. I manually typed the ip address in 7 for the redirect page and it loaded and let me enter password/username and STILL wouldn't log me in. It's got an expired certificate and i don't know how to force it to take it. I may end up installing firefox in 7 as this is the browser i am using in xp.

Personally, I use chrome all day every day. You may want to try https to see if that makes a diff for you.
    Regards,

Matt Butler, MBA, BSIT/SE, MCBP
    Owner, Intense IT, LLC
    Find us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Link up on LinkedIn
    mb (at) i2t.us

CODE BANK SUBMISSIONS: Converting Images to Base64 and Back Again

im using firefox. so far so good

i was using firefox but i had just rebooted from xp and evidently was already logged into the network. I can not get it to work in firefox or IE in windows 7 from a cold boot.

give it a try, my laptop is win7 and it's working fine with full signal.

it's definitely something with security certificates. I can boot into xp, log on to their internet and reboot into 7 and have internet in 7 with no problems because my mac address is already logged on. I can also log on with no problems with my phone onto their internet. I am going to mess with firewall settings next time i take my laptop there. Truthfully i am finding less and less use for it. My phone does nearly everything i need. I think i may end up investing in a tablet though because of screen size.

Quote Originally Posted by mbutler755 View Post
    Personally, I use chrome all day every day. You may want to try https to see if that makes a diff for you.
    same as me..

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    it's definitely something with security certificates. I can boot into xp, log on to their internet and reboot into 7 and have internet in 7 with no problems because my mac address is already logged on. I can also log on with no problems with my phone onto their internet. I am going to mess with firewall settings next time i take my laptop there. Truthfully i am finding less and less use for it. My phone does nearly everything i need. I think i may end up investing in a tablet though because of screen size.
    you must have the option even to login while ignoring the security certificate so I think you need to use other browser or just use your win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedkhairy View Post
    you must have the option even to login while ignoring the security certificate so I think you need to use other browser or just use your win 7.
    that's just it. I WANT to use 7. I'm forced to use xp. I don't use IE anymore in any os on any system. It's not just that i prefer another one, but i tether at home for internet and tmobile blocks internet explorer.

I like Chrome too, but IMO, Firefox is still a better browser. It allows you much more control over Chrome. Take printing for example, with Chrome, there is no option for you to set paper size before printing. If you use the system dialog then you'll lose the print preview. Also there is no option for scaling; you're stuck at whatever scale % Chrome chooses when it render the print preview....
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

i found out how tmobile was blocking my browser. this became an issue when they started blocking firefox. they check the user agent string. an addon fixed that.

there you go